Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wrapping bodywork instead of painting...

Wrapping bodywork instead of painting...

I've gotta either paint the racebike or been toying with the idea of getting it wrapped...

Anybody have their bike wrapped?

Would the wrap give the race plastics more strength in case of a fall??

Who can you recommend?

What's it cost?

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Wrapping bodywork instead of painting...

Mike Randi has his bike wrapped. def want to make sure you bring the entire bike to the shop to have it wrapped. having the bodywork on the bike makes it alot easier to stretch the vinyl than if it wernt on the bike

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

I wrapped my own and while it can be a pain in the ass, it really isnt all that difficult. Did the entire bike for about $110 in vinyl.

If you like doing stuff yourself, all you need is the vinyl and a heat gun.

I can say that it doesnt add any kind of strength. A crash is still a crash. What it DOES do is allow you to nearly instantly make a cosmetic repair and have it look pretty damn good.

If you do crash, you fix the crack/damage and then just put a new piece of vinyl right over it. You wont even see the seam unless you are less than 2 feet away.

xxaarraa

I have wrapped parts of various bikes - there is a learning curve, and you need a lot of patience. However, factory bodywork is much more intricate and has a lot more bends than race bodywork i.e., wrapping race bodywork should be easier. As painfully pointed out above, main advantage (HUGE) is to not have to ever worry about paint matching.

Don't listen to Weyant. It's hard. He's just good at everything. And I'm not being sarcastic.
    He can do any number plate / vinyl work in 1/4 of the time and ten times better than anyone I know who doesnt do that professionally

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My bikes were all wrapped by TSS Graphics.

Doug did a great job and I think a ballpark of around $400-$600 depending on brand of bike is what he told me.

His number is 978-562-1300.

Wrapping bodywork instead of painting...-cbr-jpg

Wrapping bodywork instead of painting...-cbr1-jpg

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Oh man, TSS Graphics looks good!! I may give him a call...thanks

Johnny, I did have mine wrapped. I brought them the bodywork, next time as Brian said I will bring the whole bike.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

xxaarraa

John, the benefit of not having to color match only applies when it's just a plain wrap. If you decide to wrap with text/patterns/decals, it is no different from paint in my mind. If you go down, it's just as complicated of a fix as fixing paint.

Take the whole bike, complete.

X - you're wrong bud. Spot fixes with vinyl.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Well....I know what I'm gonna be doing this winter.

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

I'm guessing you can layer the vinyl? I'm only thinking a couple deep, to put some stripes / decals on.

Also, guessing from P-Slow's comments above that having seams isn't that big deal for a track bike, where you're not going for the showroom look.

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    I'm guessing you can layer the vinyl? I'm only thinking a couple deep, to put some stripes / decals on.

Also, guessing from P-Slow's comments above that having seams isn't that big deal for a track bike, where you're not going for the showroom look.
    What painfullyslow is talking about is consistency in color reproduction. Vinyl print is vinyl print - the colors always look the same. In the case of CF vinyl for example, if you match the weave on the spot fix, it is extremely hard to even notice the spot fix. Paint on the other hand, is always a function of prep and the unique conditions of how it cures. A red is not always red and color matching becomes a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Well....I know what I'm gonna be doing this winter.
    You gonna attempt to do it yourself? Or goto TSS???

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    I have wrapped parts of various bikes - there is a learning curve, and you need a lot of patience. However, factory bodywork is much more intricate and has a lot more bends than race bodywork i.e., wrapping race bodywork should be easier. As painfully pointed out above, main advantage (HUGE) is to not have to ever worry about paint matching.
    Does the color of the vinyl fade? Then it might be still a noticeable difference between the old and new layers

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    You gonna attempt to do it yourself? Or goto TSS???
    I'm leaning towards trying it myself. My reasons:
    1. Seems like a low-risk off-season project. Worst case I throw my hands up, take it to TSS anyways and I'm out $100-200 of vinyl, an hour or two of couch-time and a 6 pack.
    2. Also attempting fiberglass repair on bike. Can find out how much an iffy vinyl wrap job can cover up a shitty fiberglass job.
    3. Would be wrapping a Ducati - Less reason to go to tss / fancy pattern. They really only look good in a solid color. They only look really good in solid red (IMHO).

Maybe the stretching, etc. is easier when the bodywork is on the bike, but my current thinking is that I take the plastics off and wrap them in the comfort of my living room. Gives me something to do with my hands while I'm watching my shows.

I value the sense of accomplishment that I get from doings in the real world that I don't get from churning out spreadsheets/presentations at work.

Bottom line is I know after screw-ups, buying tools / supplies, etc. I often spend more with the DIY way than paying the pros to do it. But if I do it myself I wind up with the skills, the remaining tools, and a sense of get-er-done that I don't get from paying somebody to do it.

On the other hand, I use a wash-n-fold laundry service. Because - fuck that shit is why.

LRRS 919

Lol....I'm doing a Ducati as well. Red of course. I'm fully on the 'pay the guy' program...I only asked to possibly bring them to TSS at the same time, maybe a better deal....