Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Wrecked yesterday.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Wrecked yesterday.

I was commuting to my office when a 17 year old kid attempted to drive across the road I was on from left to right, right in front of me (he had the stop sign at the 4 way intersection, I did not). I was about 200 feet behind a pickup truck and we were going about 35 MPH. As I approached the intersection, I saw him sitting there and did my standard quick double weave to make myself more conspicuous and to get his attention. He claims he saw me but thought he had room to make it. He pulled out, I braked very hard, knowing it would be damn close if we didn't collide, then he stopped, right across my lane. I braked harder and did a massive stoppie right into his car at much less than 20 MPH, I'd estimate. The top of the fairing and the tank on my bike absorbed the most energy and the tank is dented beyond repair. I think the bike must've done an end over end tumble because the nose and tail are both crunched a little bit. The rest of the bike seems ok though.

I am pretty sure I flew over the hood of the car and landed on the ground without touching the car. I broke my collar bone and I have many bumps and bruises. I did lose time after the accident (which worries me), my helmet is damaged, and the Emergency room doctors wrote down that I have a head injury, but offered no treatment for it after my CAT scan, so I guess I'm OK in the head (relatively speaking). I am glad I was wearing full gear, including an Aerostich one-piece Roadcrafter, HJC full face helmet, Held gloves and Altama combat boots.

The insurance company for the other driver has admitted fault even before the police report came out, which surprised me (they told me that the kid saw me and thought he could make it, and they also told me he hit the brakes), but realistically, I can't think of any way I could be be blamed at all. No plans to get a lawyer unless they decide to be dicks.

I happen to have a spare tail section and upper fairing for my bike. I think I can fix it with a used tank, a windscreen and a new headlight assembly. The forks look straight and the frame looks fine. It starts right up too. Once I have the parts, I can fix it in an afternoon.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Wrecked yesterday.

You're playing with someone else's insurance money. Don't look for budget ways to fix the bike until they've had an adjuster look at at. And every little scratch on the bike goes into his assessment. If it has the tiniest dent or scratch, they pay to replace the part.

Yikes! Center of Chester is my guess? People are stupid there, I get nervous in a car. Glad you weren't hurt worse, but I'm sure it still hurts. Let me know if you need help with anything.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

I'd also have PK measure it to see if there is damage.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    You're playing with someone else's insurance money. Don't look for budget ways to fix the bike until they've had an adjuster look at at. And every little scratch on the bike goes into his assessment. If it has the tiniest dent or scratch, they pay to replace the part.
    I fully expect the bike to be totaled. It's a 2001 ZX9R with 107,600+ miles and there's no reason to think the repair costs won't exceed the retail value. I am planning a budget repair job to save myself money, not the insurance company.

Gotcha. That makes sense then.

You should be able to get your gear replaced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Yikes! Center of Chester is my guess? People are stupid there, I get nervous in a car. Glad you weren't hurt worse, but I'm sure it still hurts. Let me know if you need help with anything.
    Not there but not far from there, in Derry. I was on Old Chester Road headed south and the kid was at the stop sign on Cross Road headed east to Beaver Lake Road.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

if they total it, then they will cut you a check for the value of the bike. you will be able to purchase it from them, they will deduct the cost from said check. the bike will have a salvage title after that unless you want to jump through a few hoops to get it cleared.
    unless youre in love with that bike, id take the money in throw it down on something else...like an H2 (kidding...but seriously you should get one )
    i agree with the above statement. insurance will pay to replace gear as well. a quick KBB puts that bike around $3300 retail

Last edited by SVRACER01; 10-10-14 at 11:30 AM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Gotcha. That makes sense then.

You should be able to get your gear replaced as well.
    Oh yeah. How's that work? Do they pay full retail or do they depreciate it? My 'stich was damaged, but it is 16 years old (though fully functional). My helmet is 5 years old. Not sure what actual value they have.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    if they total it, then they will cut you a check for the value of the bike. you will be able to purchase it from them, they will deduct the cost from said check. the bike will have a salvage title after that unless you want to jump through a few hoops to get it cleared.
    unless youre in love with that bike, id take the money in throw it down on something else...like an H2 (kidding...but seriously you should get one )
    i agree with the above statement. insurance will pay to replace gear as well. a quick KBB puts that bike around $3300 retail
    Why would they get the bike if they total it? It's not my insurance, it's the other driver's insurance. I don't buy collision insurance.

You had perfectly functional gear before the guy pulled out in front of you.

You need to have perfectly functional gear again.

Generally they pay replacement cost, since generally gear isn't "fixable".

holy chit dude!

8 posts in and nobody comments on your well being?

glad to hear you're relatively alright - are you in pain? what did md say about recovery on the collar bone?

I know you've been a commuter for so long without much issue, sorry to hear about the crash...

but I did the same thing with my fzr when it was stolen...locks were drilled out, decals were sanded off, windscreen gone...insurance paid me out $800 and I spent ~$140 repairing it

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    holy chit dude!

8 posts in and nobody comments on your well being?

glad to hear you're relatively alright - are you in pain? what did md say about recovery on the collar bone?

I know you've been a commuter for so long without much issue, sorry to hear about the crash...

but I did the same thing with my fzr when it was stolen...locks were drilled out, decals were sanded off, windscreen gone...insurance paid me out $800 and I spent ~$140 repairing it
    MD said to wear a sling as much as possible and there's not much else they can do for a collar bone. I have ridiculous aches and pains in places that I didn't even know I bruised, but am otherwise OK. The meds they gave me for pain bother my stomach, so I'm torn between suffering in one of two ways. Thanks for asking.

I'm glad you well enough to post to this forum. Hope you recover quickly but consider getting a lawyer if you've been injured. You should make provisions for any after care you require in the future as a result of this asshole taking your life into his carelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I was commuting to my office when a 17 year old kid attempted to drive across the road I was on from left to right, right in front of me (he had the stop sign at the 4 way intersection, I did not). I was about 200 feet behind a pickup truck and we were going about 35 MPH. As I approached the intersection, I saw him sitting there and did my standard quick double weave to make myself more conspicuous and to get his attention. He claims he saw me but thought he had room to make it. He pulled out, I braked very hard, knowing it would be damn close if we didn't collide, then he stopped, right across my lane. I braked harder and did a massive stoppie right into his car at much less than 20 MPH, I'd estimate. The top of the fairing and the tank on my bike absorbed the most energy and the tank is dented beyond repair. I think the bike must've done an end over end tumble because the nose and tail are both crunched a little bit. The rest of the bike seems ok though.

I am pretty sure I flew over the hood of the car and landed on the ground without touching the car. I broke my collar bone and I have many bumps and bruises. I did lose time after the accident (which worries me), my helmet is damaged, and the Emergency room doctors wrote down that I have a head injury, but offered no treatment for it after my CAT scan, so I guess I'm OK in the head (relatively speaking). I am glad I was wearing full gear, including an Aerostich one-piece Roadcrafter, HJC full face helmet, Held gloves and Altama combat boots.

The insurance company for the other driver has admitted fault even before the police report came out, which surprised me (they told me that the kid saw me and thought he could make it, and they also told me he hit the brakes), but realistically, I can't think of any way I could be be blamed at all. No plans to get a lawyer unless they decide to be dicks.

I happen to have a spare tail section and upper fairing for my bike. I think I can fix it with a used tank, a windscreen and a new headlight assembly. The forks look straight and the frame looks fine. It starts right up too. Once I have the parts, I can fix it in an afternoon.

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    I'm guessing that they'll argue for low retail (2400) based on high mileage. I would if I were buying it...

sounds like you have a concussion.. not sure if they told you that or if they didnt, why didnt they?
    concussion will mess with your memory of said event.

take as much money as u can.. dont tell the adjuster you have spare parts.. the insurance companies have no problem taking money from you..

as far as the gear, yes fuk them.. they better give you money to get new gear.
    id claim as much damage as possible to the adjuster.. from my experience. (cars only thankfully) they will not give you the right amount of money to fix it.

Glad you are good. Glad the insurance makes it easy for you.

Speedy healing! And Im also quite glad you fully intend to remount that horse...I hate to see when people give up riding.

The meds they gave me for pain bother my stomach, so I'm torn between suffering in one of two ways. Thanks for asking.
    which meds?

if it's ibuprofen/etodolac/ketorolac/naproxen - they're all in the same class, and stomach upset is a common side effect - take with food to decrease the stomach upset. If that's not enough, then you just don't tolerate that class of meds.

you don't necessarily need to suffer...just ask your primary care about having it changed to one you tolerate better. Meds need to fit 3 criteria: does it work? do you tolerate it? can you afford it? If it doesn't fit 1 of the criteria, they just change it.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-10-14 at 12:17 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Stoinks, glad you are alright, sorry to hear about the bike. You've put some mileage on that stead over the years.
    Take it easy on the shoulder, give it some time to heal. Let me know if you need a hand with winterizing if you haven't already.
    Heal fast....

If they're telling you to take something to act as an anti-inflamatory, you'll want to heed that advice. It'll help with keep the time to heal to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    which meds?

if it's ibuprofen/etodolac/ketorolac/naproxen - they're all in the same class, and stomach upset is a common side effect - take with food to decrease the stomach upset. If that's not enough, then you just don't tolerate that class of meds.

you don't necessarily need to suffer...just ask your primary care about having it changed to one you tolerate better. Meds need to fit 3 criteria: does it work? do you tolerate it? can you afford it? If it doesn't fit 1 of the criteria, they just change it.
    taking 600 mg ibupprofen, every 6 hours, 750 mg methocarbamol every 4-6 hours and hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5-325 every 4-6 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    sounds like you have a concussion.. not sure if they told you that or if they didnt, why didnt they?
    concussion will mess with your memory of said event.
    I agree, now that I looked up the symptoms. got a call into my primary, waiting for a call back

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Why would they get the bike if they total it? It's not my insurance, it's the other driver's insurance. I don't buy collision insurance.
    once the insurance company pays you for the bike they own it regardless whos insurance pays for it. you can buy it from them at salvage value

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

My 'stich was damaged, but it is 16 years old (though fully functional).
    Make sure they pay for a new 'stich - especially since the price has probably more than doubled since when you bought yours.
    Good luck with the recovery.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast