Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wrecked yesterday.

Re: Wrecked yesterday.

Holy heck man, scary to hear! I know you WERE clever enough to come out of this well, hopefully none of the smarts got knocked loose. Heal quickly, and we'll go for another ride next year!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Thanks for the kind and helpful words everyone. I'm in a good mood now.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Do you have the bike, or was it towed away?

I ask because many of us have trailers and can help get it wherever you need it to be.

Sorry to hear, glad to hear you will be OK. Get everything you deserve from his insurance company......

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Do you have the bike, or was it towed away?

I ask because many of us have trailers and can help get it wherever you need it to be.
    Thanks, but I have the bike. I have not ridden it, but it's actually fully functional and rideable...

Good to here

Don't decide stuff for at least a couple of weeks dain bramage

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Wow, glad you are ok.
    If you are looking to fix up the bike on the cheap, I may have some parts for you. I have some parts for my 1999 ZX9R kicking around my basement. I have a brand new green tail and front fender (chinese knock off but look pretty good) from a full set I bought but didn't need the tail and front fender. I have left and right side panels (green/purple) with rash but solid. I think one side is pretty decent and the other more rashed but I think they are solid if you aren't worried about cosmetics. I have a clear OEM windscreen that is unbroken but looks like crap (scratches and hazy). I have never tried buffing it out, not sure if you can buff out stuff like that? I have a few other random parts. Maybe mirrors in usable shape? I'll check. I think I also have a good voltage regulator if by some chance you need one. (I know, sort of random). You've done me some favors over the years and are a generally helpful guy on this forum, so you can have the parts. Either pick them up or just pay for shipping. I'll email pictures if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    Wow, glad you are ok.
    If you are looking to fix up the bike on the cheap, I may have some parts for you. I have some parts for my 1999 ZX9R kicking around my basement. I have a brand new green tail and front fender (chinese knock off but look pretty good) from a full set I bought but didn't need the tail and front fender. I have left and right side panels (green/purple) with rash but solid. I think one side is pretty decent and the other more rashed but I think they are solid if you aren't worried about cosmetics. I have a clear OEM windscreen that is unbroken but looks like crap (scratches and hazy). I have never tried buffing it out, not sure if you can buff out stuff like that? I have a few other random parts. Maybe mirrors in usable shape? I'll check. I think I also have a good voltage regulator if by some chance you need one. (I know, sort of random). You've done me some favors over the years and are a generally helpful guy on this forum, so you can have the parts. Either pick them up or just pay for shipping. I'll email pictures if you want.
    Thanks for the generous offer, but I don't need any of the parts listed. It was a very odd crash, based on the state of the bike. The gas tank really took the majority of the impact. What I need to replace: rear sub-frame, gas tank, front fairing, tail section and headlight. What I already have: front fairing, and tail section. Both have very light damage from an oily-pavement low-side in 2004. Looks like I can get a gas tank for around $300 or less, a headlight for $180, and sub-frame for around $100.

After the initial hit that crushed to top of the tank down, the bike must have done an end over, that probably ended with it upside down and sliding on the pavement a bit, then it tipped over on the left side. There's no sign of it sliding on the side, and the mirrors, side panels, pegs, and directionals are fine.

The insurance company wants to deduct 40% of the typical market value of my bike due to mileage (107,000+ miles) for the claim payout. Do I have any power to successfully argue against a 40% drop in value? Not really sure how this aspect works. Can I dicker with them?

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Can I dicker with them?
    Yes, you can.

You had a perfectly working motorcycle beforehand. You deserve more than a 60% working motorcycle now.

107k is less than 10k miles per year. Some mileage is already factored into the value of the bike (perhaps not that much), but you don't have to take their initial offer. You deserve enough to replace what was lost. If they are offering you less than you can replace it with they aren't being fair.

The insurance company wants to deduct 40% of the typical market value of my bike due to mileage (107,000+ miles) for the claim payout. Do I have any power to successfully argue against a 40% drop in value? Not really sure how this aspect works. Can I dicker with them?
    No idea, but I would say that usually 15k miles per year is considered "average" right? That makes your 14 year old bike with 107k is actually "low mileage" at only ~7600 miles/year.

Yeah but that's cars Matt, perfectly working or not what's your bike worth fair market value with 107,000 miles? That's what they want to pay

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

This is 100% true. If they total the bike and you take their money, they then OWN your bike. Say they give you 3,000 for the bike, they might want $1200 for it with a salvage title. You are in NH so its easier to get all that fixed up but just move on and buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    once the insurance company pays you for the bike they own it regardless whos insurance pays for it. you can buy it from them at salvage value

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Didn't read the whole thread, just this piece. You don't have to accept the settlement. If the bike is in storage, I've heard people say that they got leverage from the ins. Company racking up storage fees. I totaled a bike with commerce, they said they'd pay those for a week, then pick up the bike and store it themselves until the claim was settled. I'm not sure if the govt looks at how long it takes them on average to settle a claim, but they have other incentives to close the claim quickly and amicably (staff bandwidth and reputation, for one).

That said, 107k miles on a bike? (Assuming it wasn't that old if it was insured)

That's a lot....I'd run whatever KBB, NADA you can find...if I recall, the bike blue books don't account for mileage....but if you can find out what the % drop is for a car (by putting the same one in with 12,000 miles per year, then 107k) it might give you a feel for whether 40% is fair or not.

If it's fair, just take it. Don't fight them just to stick it to the man, or the odds will likely be against you if they can back up a fair price with fair data. I had one bike totaled from commerce and another stolen. My settlements have always been generous, but YMMV.

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

To add to jasnmar's point...
    You can also negotiate based on recent service or new parts on the bike. Make sure you have the date and mileage documented, even if you did the work yourself.

Lifer

I saw a friend's valuation after his car was hit, and it was almost like they were double-dipping on the deductions. Like deducting significant value for mileage, and then for "wear and tear". Well... aren't those the same thing? You can't drive a car 200k and not have some driver seat deterioration. If they weighted the mileage strictly on engine/trans wear, then deducted for condition of various items, I'd understand. But that didn't seem like the case. And the valuation reflected that it was double dipped considering it was almost half market rate.

nedirtriders.com

I would tell the insurance company that you will expect no less than full market value of your bike, helmet and all other gear damaged in the accident along with your medical bills paid. If they intend of pushing the 40% I would speak to their boss and their bosses boss. If they absolutely refused to change that I would then contact a lawyer and go after them for pain and suffering or at least threaten to do so.

When I had a similar accident 9 years ago, the insurance company was happy to pay market value of the bike and all my gear and medical bills because their driver was at fault and did not want me to take it further.

Work you way up the ladder with the claims dept and demand what you want. Tell them its absolutely unacceptable that you had a working bike that to you was worth whatever and now they want you to take less because their insured fucked up and caused you to lose it along with the pain and suffering you had to go through. Just stand firm do not take ANY LESS>

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh and one more thing, this is why you should have your own insurance. Most of the time your insurance will pay your claim and give you want and then go fight the assholes insurance company for you. I learned long ago to always carry full insurance because of what you are going through.

fight 'em!!!

bostonSV's post amps me up...f the insurance companies!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I imagine your gear replacement cost might exceed the bikes replacement value- make sure you get what you're due. Hope you're feeling better.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    Oh and one more thing, this is why you should have your own insurance. Most of the time your insurance will pay your claim and give you want and then go fight the assholes insurance company for you. I learned long ago to always carry full insurance because of what you are going through.
    I have my own insurance, but not collision. Not worth it. This bike is 13 years old and is probably only worth about $2,200, tops. They are offering $1750. I cannot find a single 2001 ZX9R with a normal title and no accident damage for sale in the US for anywhere near $1750. I'm not going to hire a lawyer over $450. I would love to fight it and would be happy to meet in the middle around $2000, but I don't know how to fight it. I have possession of the bike, so there are no storage fees accruing. The insurance paid for the towing and storage already.

What is my actual power when it comes to negotiating the claim value?

There is already a medical and pain/suffering claim (not started by me, the insurance company started it). Medical expenses will easily exceed 10 grand.

What is my actual power when it comes to negotiating the claim value?
    Spend a few minutes identifying similar motorcycles available as replacements. Send them the links with the values. Average them, and say that's what you'll take. I think you are being more than generous with your $2200 evaluation. 2001 Kawasaki ZX900-E2 Ninja ZX-9R Motorcycle Suggested Retail Value - Kelley Blue Book

You had a functioning motorcycle. You deserve to be back in that condition.

Lifer

I agree you are being generous. I would suggest excessively so.
    From my perspective, I agree, I would not hire a lawyer. I would counter. I would demand the full KBB value Jason quoted for a few iterations at least. Countering and refusing to settle for that little does not hurt you in any way. Especially since you are not in any hurry to replace/repair/ride the machine right now.

Medical expenses will easily exceed 10 grand.
    This sucks. Like, a lot.

Best of luck man.

I said threaten mostly but you have to show market research that proves your bike can not be replaced for what they are offering.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    No idea, but I would say that usually 15k miles per year is considered "average" right? That makes your 14 year old bike with 107k is actually "low mileage" at only ~7600 miles/year.
    while 10k-15k is average for a car, average for a bike is only 4000

56k would be average mileage for a bike that age

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast