Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrentham trails - is it ok to ride there now?

xxaarraa

Hey guys,

Was hoping to ride around in the Wrentham trail network for a few hours this weekend. I called the state forest and this nice older gentleman who answered the phone said "no, all trails are closed till May. this is statewide. It is not OK to go in there"

Now I am thinking I shouldn't have called. Anyone with experience in this area know if its cool to ride the trails there or not? Are these trails patrolled?

A.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Wrentham trails - is it ok to ride there now?

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/orv.htm

Riding Season

ORV use is permitted only during the riding season (as conditions allow) beginning no earlier than May 1 and ending no later than the last Sunday in November each year. To be sure the forest is open to ORV riding, call ahead.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/orv.htm

Riding Season

ORV use is permitted only during the riding season (as conditions allow) beginning no earlier than May 1 and ending no later than the last Sunday in November each year. To be sure the forest is open to ORV riding, call ahead.
    Dude, I am not sure you read my post. I did call ahead and have already been on the Website you linked. My question was appealing to common knowledge that people might have on whether the trails were patrolled/monitored actively.

Thanks anyway though,

he read it, you're just not understanding his reply

hit up Oxford instead... assuming you're stickered in MA. legally open year round, weather/conditions permitting.

Last edited by typeone; 12-20-12 at 11:42 AM.
    Beta 200RR

I read your post. The rules are clearly written. No earlier than May 1st, and no later than the last Sunday in Nov. So now you know the laws and want to sneak in and hope not to get caught. This is how we get riding areas taken away. Respect the rules as written and maybe we will have many more years to enjoy the off road system in Mass.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

xxaarraa

I read your post. The rules are clearly written. No earlier than May 1st, and no later than the last Sunday in Nov. So now you know the laws and want to sneak in and hope not to get caught. This is how we get riding areas taken away. Respect the rules as written and maybe we will have many more years to enjoy the off road system in Mass.
    Completely uncalled for. I didn't ask for moral advice, if you don't have an answer or don't like my question, stay away from the thread and spare me your self-righteous advice.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-20-12 at 12:01 PM.

I live in Wrentham. The local police keep an eye on the parking area.
    There are also houses close to the area and they could call you in.
    The police station is 5 min away.
    I drive past there most days and the parking lot is 99% empty... some local hiking and that's it.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    I live in Wrentham. The local police keep an eye on the parking area.
    There are also houses close to the area and they could call you in.
    The police station is 5 min away.
    I drive past there most days and the parking lot is 99% empty... some local hiking and that's it.
    Thank you, appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Completely uncalled for. I didn't ask for moral advice, if you don't have an answer or don't like my question, stay away from the thread and spare me your self-righteous advice.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

you know its winter when....

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

NH is still open. Just saying. ( Oh and I read the whole thread 2 times for comedic value )

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I believe his response was not him looking out for YOUR own situation or well being, rather that of the riding community hoping to continue riding the legal areas in the future. I highly doubt he gives a shit if you get caught and cited, rather the effects restricted off-season riding could have on that trail system remaining open in the future.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

IMO - Asking for advice on "tolerated" off road riding area's on an open forum, is frowned upon. It is best accomplished by first joining a forum like NEDB, establishing who you are by offering some basic information and joining in on a few discussions, and then by PM's. Many people have had their riding area's closed down due to outsiders taking advantage of it, and bringing large groups of people. I have seen this happen personally, not only with motorcycle riders, but also by ATV groups, and 4x4 off road guys. My own area was shut down for a long time due to an influx of irresponsible 4x4 clubs from RI, CT, and other neighboring states, and it will never be the same.
    It is a highly sensitive issue these days.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    IMO - Asking for advice on "tolerated" off road riding area's on an open forum, is frowned upon. It is best accomplished by first joining a forum like NEDB, establishing who you are by offering some basic information and joining in on a few discussions, and then by PM's. Many people have had their riding area's closed down due to outsiders taking advantage of it, and bringing large groups of people. I have seen this happen personally, not only with motorcycle riders, but also by ATV groups, and 4x4 off road guys. My own area was shut down for a long time due to an influx of irresponsible 4x4 clubs from RI, CT, and other neighboring states, and it will never be the same.
    It is a highly sensitive issue these days.
    Greg, it would help if the forum spells out what sort of questions are "accepted" and what are "frowned upon" In my mind, asking how heavily a trail network is policed is the same as asking how the cops/troopers are on a certain route. If the answer is "don't speed" then an implied judgment is being made, which to me, is self-righteous.

Interesting choice of words regarding "outsiders" and "people have had their riding areas" Everyone in MA pays the same rate of state income tax (proportional to income of course) and are equally entitled to use the resources in/of the state, regardless of whether its nearby or far away from where you might happen to live. Also, it is unreasonable to try and protect a sport from "outsiders" Try this example - I personally think that squids and harley riders with no helmets cause a lot of damage to the overall biker community by the type of feelings they engender among non-riders. But that doesn't give me the right to pass judgment or go preaching about safety to anyone I run across. Ergo, unwarranted to try and protect "your" riding areas from folks that might want to take a chance in the off season. Since when did self-proclaimed policing and protecting become an accepted thing? That's what the cops and EPO are there for.

It is simple really. If you don't feel right about a question someone is asking, best to ignore and move on. To stop and pass judgment just shows you are being self-righteous and narrow minded. I am not saying you are, but the gentleman above that I was trading posts with certainly was.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-20-12 at 04:54 PM.

Lifer

I understand. I certainly would like to help you, but I am unfamiliar with that area. If you have any interest in traveling West, please PM me, and I may be able to help.

Thank you for helping to close down more riding areas in MA.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Greg, it would help if the forum spells out what sort of questions are "accepted" and what are "frowned upon" In my mind, asking how heavily a trail network is policed is the same as asking how the cops/troopers are on a certain route. If the answer is "don't speed" then an implied judgment is being made, which to me, is self-righteous.

Interesting choice of words regarding "outsiders" and "people have had their riding areas" Everyone in MA pays the same rate of state income tax (proportional to income of course) and are equally entitled to use the resources in/of the state, regardless of whether its nearby or far away from where you might happen to live. Also, it is unreasonable to try and protect a sport from "outsiders" Try this example - I personally think that squids and harley riders with no helmets cause a lot of damage to the overall biker community by the type of feelings they engender among non-riders. But that doesn't give me the right to pass judgment or go preaching about safety to anyone I run across. Ergo, unwarranted to try and protect "your" riding areas from folks that might want to take a chance in the off season. Since when did self-proclaimed policing and protecting become an accepted thing? That's what the cops and EPO are there for.

It is simple really. If you don't feel right about a question someone is asking, best to ignore and move on. To stop and pass judgment just shows you are being self-righteous and narrow minded. I am not saying you are, but the gentleman above that I was trading posts with certainly was.
    Someone just doesn't get it!

BTW, you set the tone in this thread with your reply to mycirus...if you don't like the replies here, you also have the option to ignore it and move on..that is your own advice by the way

Yamaha

This is how we get riding areas taken away. Respect the rules as written and maybe we will have many more years to enjoy the off road system in Mass.
    he didn't give you moral advice, it was a plea to stay to fuck out so that the area isn't lost

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Think he gets the picture? It's the "rules are for everyone but me" society we have. I'm no angel but clearly understand the repercussions of riding when it is prohibited. I've seen all the local dirtpits taken away due to development. There are fewer and fewer places to off-road LEGALLY. Why be that guy that screws it up? Oh yeah, forgot, he won't get caught and it is "his" land too. Come shit in our backyard then walk away. Thanks.

I have a place for you to go.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I wonder why there is no good spots to ride in MA anymore.............?????

But I guess this wan't enough for you to realize.....

"no, all trails are closed till May. this is statewide. It is not OK to go in there"

and I repeat

"no, all trails are closed till May. this is statewide. It is not OK to go in there"

In my mind, asking how heavily a trail network is policed is the same as asking how the cops/troopers are on a certain route.
    the difference is when you get a ticket for speeding on a highway it's on you...it's not like they are going to stop people from driving down that road...too many people get caught (or just get seen and reported) riding in areas during a restricted time then WE ALL may not be able to ride there anymore...big difference...so don't be that guy or one of those guys

cliffs notes...
    No.

Last edited by Point37; 12-21-12 at 07:44 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

When do we get the "unlike" button?

As others said, he wasn't trying to help you find Jeebus. He was trying to prevent trails being shut down permanently by people who break the rules. Whether or not you (or I) agree with those rules, blatantly ignoring them makes it worse for everyone.

I really want to be a smartass here, but if you think riding areas aren't being policed, and even worse ATTACKED,
    Look up James Ward and Sean Kearney on the web. Kearney is the reason your kids aren't allowed to ride almost at all.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

At least those of you outside of RI have places to ride. When i was a kid in the 70s and 80s riding we had lots of places to ride, for such a small state. Now there is nowhere unless you ride trials then there is a place where you can join the trials club and ride some national caliber trials terrain.

2013 ZX6R-636

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast