Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xr250l

Xr250l

Thoughts on xr250l for dual duty. Is it “ok” on highway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Xr250l

You’ll have to gear it to the moon.
    Some of the modern 250’s, klx and wrr have 6spd tranny’s and will be better suited for this type activity.
    Edit: although still not really ideal for high speed droning.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 02-26-18 at 08:44 AM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Probably ok for 60mph, but really stretching it at 70mph. Ihad a CRF230L which felt that way. My CRF250L with exhaust/EJK is much better

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Naah

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You’ll have to gear it to the moon.
    Some of the modern 250’s, klx and wrr have 6spd tranny’s and will be better suited for this type activity.
    Edit: although still not really ideal for high speed droning.
    Agreed. Also, a KLX250S with the 351 BB kit would be good for short highway riding

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

CRF250L does extended highway without breaking a sweat. It's not fast, but you can wring it's neck for days and it just doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    CRF250L does extended highway without breaking a sweat. It's not fast, but you can wring it's neck for days and it just doesn't care.
    It will get to highway speed and stay there, yes.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It will get to highway speed and stay there, yes.
    And then you put a Takegawa high comp big bore on, and a crank from a CBR300R... and wait it's still a heavy slow pig, never mind.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Thoughts on xr250l for dual duty. Is it “ok” on highway?
    No.

My DRZ400 geared for street use was good for 20 minutes tops on the "highway". It was painful before you hit the end of the on-ramp on the interslab, although it would do 70. And geared this way the 400 was non-stop clutch fanning in the woods. The air cooled 200 doesn't stand a chance.

And you're going to want it geared stupid low as it is kick only. The penalty for tipping over and stalling out is a lot of kicking.

Bleach....what about a Ktm exc-350?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

If you are trying to bridge the gap between a trail bike and a highway/dual sport bike it will be difficult to do so. Most larger displacement singles that are efficient/effective as trail bikes do not like life at highway speeds. Most larger displacement singles that are efficient/effective at highway speeds are not so good in the trails.

You could do something like the bikes you have mentioned that would be great in the woods but anything more than 55-60ish for any length of time is questionable how good it is for the bike as well as how pleasant it is for the rider.

You could go with something like a KTM690 enduro or a Husky 701 enduro and they would both be great on the highway but could be a handful in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    Bleach....what about a Ktm exc-350?

I have one.
    Also no. It’s not a 50-50 bike. Mine is geared up a bit, and even though it will spin those rpms it’s not enjoyable.
    If you’re looking for a true 50-50 bike your best bet is going to be a 690/701. If you don’t want to crack that nut, look for a decent condition husky te610 or perhaps an lc4 640/620/400.

Before this worm hole gets too deep, what do you want to do??

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

In all seriousness, CRF250L. They're cheap even new, they are stupid reliable, easy to ride, and don't care about extended highway jaunts or crawling putt-putt in the woods. They are not rocket ships, they're a bit porky to full MX machines but are still in the manageable range.

Lifer

It's a spectrum. On one hand you probably have something like a small bore 2-stroke with a narrow ratio MX gearbox. On the other an R1200GS ADV beast. Then a gazillion variants in between.

In my view I'd call the KTM 500 EXC or 450 EXC-F models that fall somewhere in the middle. But like anything, I'm sure someone else sees this differently.

XR250L would not be my first choice for a 50/50 machine. I'm also warming to the WR250R. Still nearly 300 lbs! XR is lighter. So are all the KTM 4t enduros. Hell, the 690 might be lighter too.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    In all seriousness, CRF250L. ...they're a bit porky..
    A "bit"? Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    A "bit"? Lol!
    You can get them to 280lbs gassed up and ready to roll with basically an exhaust and batt swap plus standard BS stripping. That's not horrible. 690 is 310lbs before you add fluids. No question the 690 comes with higher end bouncy bits, and a lot more happens when you twist the throttle but it costs $10,800 MSRP vs $5,150 to $5,900 MSRP depending on bling level...

450's are porkers too...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    450's are porkers too...
    Agreed but mixing gas on the street sucks especially with the smaller fuel tanks associated with these types of bikes. This may change with the oil injected KTM/Husky variants now available. Fill the injector oil tank, fill the fuel tank and go....let the bike do the work.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Agreed but mixing gas on the street sucks especially with the smaller fuel tanks associated with these types of bikes. This may change with the oil injected KTM/Husky variants now available. Fill the injector oil tank, fill the fuel tank and go....let the bike do the work.
    Yeah I ran into that in West Virginia...

Fouled a plug everytime I had to fill at a gas station.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

The WR250R is pretty well rounded. I don't mind it at all on the highway, but my opinion is pretty heavily biased by how much I ride my Z125, which can be a bit of a pain at speeds over 50. The WRR can be a bit of a bear in the woods too. I think the "racing" dual sports like KTMs and Beta's would be better all-around if you don't mind the extra maintenance they beg for, but doubt they are any better on the highway.

The Kawi is updated and fuel-injected this model year and might be worth a look.

How much Highway do you wanna do? Geez

I don't feel like it can be done...you geta DRZ or crf250l as a compromise of freeway/trails/cost, a wr450r next, a 690 if you have $$ or a 950 if you have more $$ and not as crazy off road...and maybe a DR650/klr650 if also less off road

I haven't ridden all said bikes but what little I have done I don't like the do it all bike... always a compromise somewhere.

I dedicate a plated mx smoker for everything seriously off road and truck it. Slab miles with light off road on a Vstrom with street tires

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-26-18 at 04:49 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I believe some (all?) Betas have this now too.

nedirtriders.com

The WR 250 is the new choice for around the world type adv guys. That should put any debates about it's capabilities to handle it all to bed. It's fine on the highway. It's up to long hauling it if you are. Even in it's portly state it is 150 lbs lighter than the next class of bikes (KLR)

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The WR 250 is the new choice for around the world type adv guys. That should put any debates about it's capabilities to handle it all to bed. It's fine on the highway. It's up to long hauling it if you are. Even in it's portly state it is 150 lbs lighter than the next class of bikes (KLR)
    Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I guess I was thinking more like paul. I don’t expect to be doing a ton of highway, but I would like to be able to ride and hour or so to the trans mass trail or something me trails in NH.

I just don’t want to have to load up in the truck every time I want to ride or/and be able to ride dirt roads etc

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    The WR250R is pretty well rounded. I don't mind it at all on the highway, but my opinion is pretty heavily biased by how much I ride my Z125, which can be a bit of a pain at speeds over 50. The WRR can be a bit of a bear in the woods too. I think the "racing" dual sports like KTMs and Beta's would be better all-around if you don't mind the extra maintenance they beg for, but doubt they are any better on the highway.

The Kawi is updated and fuel-injected this model year and might be worth a look.
    The KLX twofiddy?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast