Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ya'll Ain't Never Gonna Believe It

Re: Ya'll Ain't Never Gonna Believe It

OK, I'll hold your beer

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I looked at Victory after selling my first Harley touring bike. The fit/finish and quality of everything on my ElectraGlide just felt solid, quality, and reliable. The Victory just felt 'cheap'. Sure it had a nice motor, but the day-to-day shit you don't think much about when looking at shiny new motorcycles bugged me. The controls felt like they could break any second, bags and latches felt thin and flimsy, it just turned me off immediately. Ended up going right back to Harley, this time with a RoadGlide

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I looked at Victory after selling my first Harley touring bike. The fit/finish and quality of everything on my ElectraGlide just felt solid, quality, and reliable. The Victory just felt 'cheap'. Sure it had a nice motor, but the day-to-day shit you don't think much about when looking at shiny new motorcycles bugged me. The controls felt like they could break any second, bags and latches felt thin and flimsy, it just turned me off immediately. Ended up going right back to Harley, this time with a RoadGlide
    I liked that Victory was trying to cash in on "that" market and offered bikes of the typical American V-Twin style but with modern touches. I'm curious to see how Polaris expands the Indian line now and if they'll stick around long enough to make a serious mark.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

'Grats on the new whip man. I get the HD experience... I enjoyed the ones I've spent time on. As you mentioned you just have to set your expectations appropriately.

I was impressed with the Victory's. A close friend has a Cross Country and loves it. The "cheap" feedback is interesting. I always felt like they were more modern/refined when it came to button/control feel.

Soooo, what the deal with National Powersports?

Lifer

I agree about the plasticy controls on the victories. Indians seem a bit better, but still pale in comparison to HD.
    Most of the japanese cruiser type machines I've sampled are even worse.

Say what you will about Harley, but I think they nail their target market very, very well. It is not at all a bad product.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Soooo, what the deal with National Powersports?
    I've got a call into someone there now. I'll explain my dealings with them after I get a call back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I've got a call into someone there now. I'll explain my dealings with them after I get a call back.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I agree about the plasticy controls on the victories. Indians seem a bit better, but still pale in comparison to HD.
    Most of the japanese cruiser type machines I've sampled are even worse.

Say what you will about Harley, but I think they nail their target market very, very well. It is not at all a bad product.
    One thing to keep in mind is Harley has been doing this for a very long time compared to "Indian" which is victory/ polaris and the Japanese brands. They certainly have figured out their market. IMO they are lacking a few things in comparison but it's not really what the average owner cares a lot about such as better components like brakes and suspension. I have a feeling Harley is slowly catching up with the new bikes but only time will tell.

FWIW I love my Harley. I know what it is and what it isn't. I've made the typical Harley changes and then also changed some other stuff I felt they neglected. I think everyone at some point should have one in their garage even if it's just for a short period of time.

James

Lifer

I don’t think the brakes are that bad! The components definitely don’t suck.

Suspension I can agree with. Although I think the biggest problem is the chassis. Were they to roll out an alloy chassis with a more modern design I bet they could work in more than 3” of rear travel and slash some weight at the same time.

I have always romanticized air cooled motors. It wasn’t until I was trapped in heavy traffic on 128 that I remembered why I do not miss the bandit 1200 I once had.

I went through the same experience in looking for my next bike last year and landed with a Harley for similar reasons.

Not only are sport bikes uncomfortable, but I am constantly plagued with an urge to ride them like I'm on the track. That's what the bike is made for, that's what it wants. As I drifted into the standard segment I found the same to be true only to a lesser degree. Sport Tourers and Adventure bikes are too boring. While they are very comfortable and do everything well, that's kind of my issue with them. I wanted something interesting that has character.

I ended up with a '99 FXDX (a Super Glide with a tach and dual front discs). It's a great mix of character and comfort. The worst part about owning a Harley is the demographic along side you. The general culture around these bikes is pathetic.

The biggest issue I have with the bike after owning it for a year is the suspension. It should be a crime for a manufacturer to charge so much for a motorcycle and put such terrible suspension on it. I will be fixing this next summer.

Sooooo...National Powersport...

All in all not a BAD experience. I'd say it was overall good but not great.

I showed up there a little before noon on a Friday to look at some of the bikes I found, more specifically a few Dynas I wanted to check out. I found their low-pressure approach a bit extreme and kind of felt that no one wanted to help me out. I thought it was kind of obvious I was interested as I pulled a few out from the rows and looked 'em over pretty thoroughly. I ended up having to wave someone down to get someone to even look at me, and even then it almost seemed like I was bothering them.

Fast forward to getting to the one I ultimately ended up buying: Did some back & forth, he explained the process. During this time, HE insisted I pick it up next day (Saturday) even though it hadn't been through their yadda-yadda inspection because he was "positive" it would pass without problem. I explained to him that after a few years without a bike, I was in no rush to put them under that pressure. Nope, he was having none of it. Took care of some paperwork, assured him I didn't HAVE TO pick it up Saturday, shot the shit a little bit and was on my way.

I got home around 2:00 or so, called my insurance company (State Farm) to go over the info with them and get the insurance binder over to them and what not. Yeah, I financed it. It was small change, but since we paid off the house and I own all my vehicles outright AND we don't really have any credit card debt, etc., I found my credit score sliding the last couple years. What better excuse?!?. Okay, everything seems good so far as for the actual transaction.

Get a call when they opened Saturday morning saying we're all good, all the paperwork is good to go and I just need to come down and sign everything. Was told they put the bike through their inspection process and it'll have a temp plate and inspection sticker and I can ride it out of there. Okay great! Off we go.

Get down there to find out they never received the insurance binder. Short version is State Farm couldn't help me because their "system was down nationwide". Made a few phone calls and got Progressive to help me out over the phone. About an hour or so later we're good and here comes the binder (I kept her on the phone). Nope, hold on...address is wrong. Second shot? Nope, wrong credit bureau (WTF?). Third time's a charm? Nope! She STILL put the wrong credit bureau! Finally got it squared away and we're good to go. Okay, not National Powersport's fault.

Finish up the paperwork, and they're getting it ready to lower off the loading dock. But wait! The plate is on it, but no inspection sticker. WTF? The delivery guys assured me it wasn't a problem. If they put a plate on it, by law it has to pass inspection they say. Okay, great. I'm assured it'll only take a few minutes. 5 minutes, then 10, then 15. Big Shirl was by my side, talking me down - I was getting pretty pissy. After close to THIRTY minutes I went back in to find out where the fuck my bike was. Gotta hold on again, the sales guy needs to talk to me. Okay, great. Can't wait to hear this.

Sales guy comes out looking a little pale and shaken. Tells me that in the end, it would NOT pass inspection due to some scalloping on the front tire. Yeah, I get that this is an "opportunity bike" and comes as-is/as seen, but they want $250 to install a new tire. I tell the dude that I could name off 10 inspection stations that would pass it without a second look. I also asked him if they knew the trouble they could get into putting the temp plate on it. I then told him in no uncertain terms that they have their money, it's currently insured, and the title has been applied for in my name and I was riding it home now. Not later that day, NOW. He politely and timidly asked me to wait a few minutes while he talked to the GM.

ANOTHER 20 minutes later, he comes stumbling out again. This time it's about how he fucked up but only because *I* was pressuring *HIM* to get it ready right away. I told that fucker every step of the way that I was in no rush. Even when he called first thing Saturday morning! Nope, he insisted I pick it up ASAP and I reminded him of that. No worries, he has a "really good offer" for me. Yeah, what a sport! Offered me 20% off the front tire & install if I promised I'd be back first thing Monday to get it swapped out and they'd put the sticker on it. Yeah, whatever cornbread, I'm outtie.

SIDE NOTE: ironically they JUST got a backrest off the same year Dyna and they'd let it go to me for $80 for my troubles. Yeah, that's the price on your website too dipshit. Whaddya say you just put in on there and call it a day? Yeah, whatever. I'll take it. Here's your $80 even though it's very likely it came off that very bike anyway.

So finally - almost FIVE HOURS later, me & the bike with the backrest are on our merry way. I noticed some rattling coming from behind me, presumably from the backrest. I get the thing home and check it out only to realize their crackpot inspection crew never noticed there was no screws holding the fuckin' seat down!

I finally calm down enough to get a call into him. He calls back and I explain to him that I can get the tire (locally) for $115 and I can mount & balance it myself (yeah, yeah, I get the whole "tire thing"). When I reminded him the inspection was part of the deal and I shouldn't have to pay for that, he told me he'd "definitely try to work with me on that". That's when I dropped the bomb about their monkeys not securing the seat down. Again - although he sounded more convincing this time, he once again told me they'd "definitely work with me on that then".

I then inquire about their "inspection process" and learn that it's ONLY to insure that the bike will be safe for highway use. No servicing, no engine oil check, no trans fluid check, no primary check, no belt deflection inspection, no fork oil check, NOTHING...just be sure it's safe for highway use. Not even to make sure they were all at the proper levels. BUT they'd be glad to make an appointment for servicing whenever it's convenient for me. LMFBO! What the fuck did he mean when he told me over the phone that it passed inspection and they went through everything and it was "ready to ride"? Guess I'll be servicing it this weekend.

With all that being said: Dave, the GM and Sandy, the front desk gal were phenomenal when I was going through the bullshit with State Farm and getting squared away with Progressive. They basically held my hand through all of that and stood right by my side through that entire process. They were amazing.

On a lighter note: literally as I was tossing my leg over the bike to get the fuck outta there, State Farm called to let me know their system was up and she could now help me. I shit you not. I just fuckin' laughed (like, seriously laughed my ass off) and let her know that their fuck up not only got Progressive some business, but we'd more than likely be switching EVERYTHING over within the next couple weeks and that we've given them a ton of business over the years and something like this is unacceptable. She apologized, but it was too late. By the way, Progressive was still about $30/year less even with our "bundle" with State Farm. And that's even with the vanishing deductible.

So, pulling the insurance thing off their plate, I'm not entirely sure I'd use them again. I can't honestly say I WOULDN'T, but I'm not sold on them just yet. Prices are very realistic on most everything I saw. It seems they price everything by year rather than condition, aftermarket accessories & add-ons and what not. The same bike with 30,000 miles more is pretty much the same price, and it's like that across the board. They have an outstanding array of used bikes and are also a Triumph dealer. I don't think I'd write them off entirely. Just be sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

And to top it all off, my fuckin' lawnmower is STILL going strong!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sounds like a typical used car/bike dealership. The faster they "move" the bike out the more they make. They do put up a ton of ads on craigslist some of which really interest me.

So when do the forks show up down here? The Dyna line also has a ton of options for rear shocks. I chose ohlins shock for mine and then GP suspension cartridges for the forks. Been happy with both. Huge improvement over stock junk.

James

There's always some sort of stupidity when you buy a vehicle from a dealer, looks like a bit more in this case. They don't want to put any parts or labor into anything that isn't 100% sold, you don't want to put any time into waiting for it to be ready. Its annoying as hell but they usually win that battle.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Banned

When are you joining an MC and getting your vest?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

did you get a dong patch?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    did you get a dong patch?
    That will never not make me laugh. \thread

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Well, that sucks. That does not match the hype I've heard re National in the past. My take has always been that they charge you a premium but you can bet your ass it is going to be about as good as new as a bike that age/mileage can be.

Hope the experience picks up from here.

A word to the wise DO NOT switch all of your insurance to progressive. They are a total hassle to deal with. Trying to get anyone on the phone to help you is like a half hour job. and when they farm out your homeowner's to another firm it's even worse. Imagine going through TWO layers of BS to get anything done.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Wild.

I've had progressive for my motorcycle insurance for years. They've actually been really, really good for me. Claims handled exactly as I'd like. Billing and renewals were easy. Not a single complaint.

I had them for auto coverage for years too.

Wild.

I've had progressive for my motorcycle insurance for years. They've actually been really, really good for me. Claims handled exactly as I'd like. Billing and renewals were easy. Not a single complaint.

I had them for auto coverage for years too.
    Perhaps it was the switchover hassles that soured me. I never made a claim through them. I actually switched back to a provider with a local office.

Paul_E_D

That's strange. We both have had Progressive for years with no issues. We actually just combined all of our vehicles and homeowners with them as well. My only "gripe" is they treat their bike policies a little differently so we ended up keeping that one seperate. They also won't autorenew a bike policy, which I found odd. Just a matter of remembering to do it each spring though.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    There's always some sort of stupidity when you buy a vehicle from a dealer, looks like a bit more in this case. They don't want to put any parts or labor into anything that isn't 100% sold, you don't want to put any time into waiting for it to be ready. Its annoying as hell but they usually win that battle.
    I could have waited all week and told him that a number of times.

Well, that sucks. That does not match the hype I've heard re National in the past. My take has always been that they charge you a premium but you can bet your ass it is going to be about as good as new as a bike that age/mileage can be.

Hope the experience picks up from here.
    No, they don't "charge you a premium". Their prices were actually right about where they should be and a lot cheaper than private party deals I've looked into.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You quit drinking? I’m so proud of you��
    you should know better

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    You quit drinking? I’m so proud of you��
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    you should know better
    Says Two Shot Jimmy!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast