Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ya'll Ain't Never Gonna Believe It

Re: Ya'll Ain't Never Gonna Believe It

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I use the craftsman motorcycle/atv red jack its for sale for 117 right now at sears. They also make a light weight aluminum version for 180. I've been happy with it. Combined with the Harley frame protectors which helps level the bike on the lift. They are part #94675-99. I may have enough of my set left for you if you want some.

Yeah, man. If you have a couple extra, I'll gladly take those off your hands!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Yeah, man. If you have a couple extra, I'll gladly take those off your hands!
    I have one left over. It's like 1.5-2 feet long. You cut it to the lengths you want. When you get your jack you will see where you need it and how much. I'll get it to you somehow just not sure how. Maybe send it to the track with PK next time he goes up.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    So what's everyone using for lifts/stands to service these pigs? Will the $170 Harbor Freight jobbie work? Only thing I don't see on those are tie-down points. Any other reasonably priced lifts out there that'll fit the bill for occasional use?

Set-up a total redneck lift & strap system last night to change the front tire. Definitely need to step that up! On that note, I watched a guy stand literally in front of his Snap On tire changer and swap that skinny-ass tire by hand on his work bench. The whole time I offered to slap it on the tire changer and take care of it, but he insisted on doing it his way. Cost me a bottle of Tito's, some of Big Shirl's lasagna & a Boston Cream pie (don't ask).

Oh...and what the fuck is with standard and metric on these things?!? Because of our redneck lift & strap system, I had to remove the caliper. Everything is standard except for the 12pt. caliper bolts. Unless those are some weird Harley only bolts that they try to make you buy a special tool for?

So...what are we using for lifts?

EDIT: Sample from Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...BoCoikQAvD_BwE
    I just bought the same one and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I just bought the same one and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice, Ed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Wild.

I've had progressive for my motorcycle insurance for years. They've actually been really, really good for me. Claims handled exactly as I'd like. Billing and renewals were easy. Not a single complaint.

I had them for auto coverage for years too.
    claims, with almost any company, not just Progressive, depends on the local claims adjuster, we got a good one in our area, when a ladder fell on my V-strom in my barn, on Christmas eve. 3 days from being new, and still hadn't called my agent to tell them I bought a new bike. not only did he retroactively put my new bike on the policy, he also put the claim in on comprehensive instead of collision. I got my check for the repairs, no arguments with Rochester Motorsports estimate. 3 days later.... even more impressive, it was holiday season, and Christmas was one of those days

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I run into the funniest people it seems when I'm out & about on a bike. Used to happen to me all the time on the RF900, Superhawk & TL-R. I guess it just kinda picked up where I left off.

Bumped into a local guy I know the other day. He got himself a new-to-him Suzuki Intruder. Says he likes the cruisers, but prefers the power & reliability of the Japanese cruisers. Okay, whatever. Doesn't matter to me what you, me, him or her ride. I just makes no difference to me. He congratulated me on my purchase and I on his. I thought that would be the end of it.

He went on to tell me about the "racing only" exhaust he was going to buy for his to give it that "American V-twin" sound. Also went on to tell me about the "for competition only" clutch he was going to order for it. He picks it up a notch and tells me I should seek the same for mine. I explain to him that neither of our bikes are "racing only" or "for competition only" and the things he should be looking into is upgrading the brakes & suspension. After going on to tell him my first two orders of business will be replacing the 1970's era headlight and doing something about the ridiculous rear suspension, he insisted that none of those upgrades were any good without a "racing only" exhaust and "for competition only" clutch. I assured him someone was trying to sell him a line of shit and make a few beans off him, but he was having none of it.

He decided to leave with me and the kid (yeah, I call him that...early 30's, not all there) straight up stalled the thing pulling out onto the highway and almost dropped it. I damn near pissed myself as I rode off.

Kind of reminded me of the dude I met once while I was out on the TL-R. He insisted his brother (or cousin or some shit) had a 750 version of it but it sounded different. I tried in vain to explain the whole TL-R concept, but he just didn't get it. He actually told me he was going to get a Yosh exhaust for the ZX-10 he was riding because he wanted it to sound just like my TL-R.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

People that are cruiser bikes only tend to be a bit strange about the mods. If you want to see something really wacky join some harley forums. There is certainly some good info to be had there and there are some guys that really know their stuff but there is some really crazy people there. They will go through 4 or 5 different types of cheep ass shocks to save a buck and not buy the good stuff which is "too expensive" although they spent twice that to still hate their ride. Some will spend top dollar on the craziest shit like an air cleaner cover and nickle and dime the stuff that actually affects the ride. Post count does matter too

James

Ha ! like the guy I met that knew the guy that had an SV650 like mine with more miles than anyone else in the world

Are Kerkers still a thing ? you gonna get Kerkers

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I like the ones that attended the "HOG" ride training bullshit and know all the hand gestures rating them to lead or sweep a group ride. Hey bud, news flash, you are riding a motorcycle on a public road in a line of 15 other dorks just like yourself. Not rocket science there skipper.

Honestly the whole "hog" thing makes my skin crawl. I feel like I need an acetone shower every time someone calls my RK a "hog" in front of me.

All that said. A couple weekends ago I enjoyed a weekend of moto-camping with a bunch of BMW types that would get into heated arguments about the perfect leg length for their kermit chairs and the best aerostich config. (BTW the right answer to the 2nd one is roadcrafter classic, 2-piece with the forward lean ellipse option. Just sayin'.)

Wrong. Klim hardanger.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Ya'll Ain't Never Gonna Believe It-rallye-suit-blackblue-jpg

Repels latte spills like nothing else.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    People that are cruiser bikes only tend to be a bit strange about the mods. //
    There was a shop in Dorchester (moved) who did inspections but mostly serviced HD police bikes for MSP and BPD.. The owner lives in Quincy.

He told me that a neighbor came in for a new exhaust system. Ordered him a nice loud aftermarket system.

Two days later, he hears a VROOM - at 6am. Guy worked an early shift. “My god,” he told me, “What have I done?”

Hoist by his own petard.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There was a shop in Dorchester (moved) who did inspections but mostly serviced HD police bikes for MSP and BPD.. The owner lives in Quincy.

He told me that a neighbor came in for a new exhaust system. Ordered him a nice loud aftermarket system.

Two days later, he hears a VROOM - at 6am. Guy worked an early shift. “My god,” he told me, “What have I done?”

Hoist by his own petard.
    That's not an early shift. I leave my house about 3:15am. Which is part of the reason I don't ride in. I feel the bike is too loud and my neighbors do like me. It's my own fault. I put the exhaust on. Didn't want super loud but it's a Harley so there isn't much option. Even put the "quiet" baffles in. That was a load of bs but I did attempt to quiet it down.

James

Lifer

Mine seems to slice both ways.
    On one hand my wife says she knows when I am home 5 minutes before I get here when she hears me pass on the state highway around the corner.
    On the other hand I regularly get (what I take as) compliments about how my Harley "isn't even that loud".

Mine is entirely stock and will likely stay that way. I guess very, very few leave their Harley exhausts alone. I don't even consider a set of pipes on a Harley a "weird" mod anymore. Honestly I barely consider it a "weird" mod on any bike.

Performance clutch.. that's a weird one on a metric cruiser.

What a pain in the ass washing these fuckin' things! Figured I'd give it a quick washing before I took it out Saturday. WTF? A solid two hours to make it look like it wasn't some hack job washing. WAY too much shit to shine & shit.

Lifer

I agree entirely

I want to black the entire fucking bike out. All of it.

I agree entirely

I want to black the entire fucking bike out. All of it.
    That'll be just as bad, trust me. But yeah, this has a good bit of chrome. Total ball buster for sure.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Paul_E_D

Usually the hardest part to cleaning a bike and making it look good once done, is drying it off without leaving spots.

If I had one of them fancy chrome bikes, I'd use the same method I use for cleaning my dirtbike. Wash all the hard to reach areas with a soft 4" paint brush and Auto soap, and blow dry it with an electric leaf blower.
    Living on a dirtroad takes away alot of my ambition to wash my bike like I used to tho

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Usually the hardest part to cleaning a bike and making it look good once done, is drying it off without leaving spots.

If I had one of them fancy chrome bikes, I'd use the same method I use for cleaning my dirtbike. Wash all the hard to reach areas with a soft 4" paint brush and Auto soap, and blow dry it with an electric leaf blower.
    Living on a dirtroad takes away alot of my ambition to wash my bike like I used to tho
    Yup! Started with the air compressor and quickly realized I'd be there all day. Ended up grabbing the Husqvarna leaf blower and making short order of it. Chamois the rest, then some spray & wipe polish and I was finally on my way.

Lifer

I've fully embraced the R7 cleaning methodology.

The issue is-at least in my view-that there are GAZILLION nooks and crannies on these massive piles of domestic pig iron. The finish magnifies any spot you miss quite badly. When finished you find that one spot you missed and almost regret even washing the damned thing in the first place. And then the cycle repeats. And thus goes the rest of your day.

A can or two of honda pro polish does help. A lot.

The issue is-at least in my view-that there are GAZILLION nooks and crannies on these massive piles of domestic pig iron. The finish magnifies any spot you miss quite badly. When finished you find that one spot you missed and almost regret even washing the damned thing in the first place. And then the cycle repeats. And thus goes the rest of your day.

A can or two of honda pro polish does help. A lot.
    Exactly. There's just too much on these fuckin' things that you kind of HAVE TO shine up or it looks like shit. And as you point out, about halfway through I was questioning why I even started.

Also as you say, spray & wipe polish helps immensely.

The next time I wash it will be when it's ready for it's winter nap!

As R7, we also live on a dirt road as do many of our local peeps. Even in the garage it gets covered with a fine coating of dust.

Leaf blower - great idea!

I have one of these for drying the bikes, works great and can get in tight areas better than a leaf blower. I thought I picked mine up for quite a bit cheaper though.

https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Blaster...2RNGYTFDFACSE2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast