Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

where do y'all get your Pirellis?

where do y'all get your Pirellis?

Seems semi-tough to find Supercorsas in the 160 rear size online, which makes me think I'm looking wrong.
    Is there a "local Pirelli guy"?
    Get them at a track day?
    Go to shop and have them order a set?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Re: where do y'all get your Pirellis?

gomtag.com I think is the local Pirelli guys, who also happen to be members here.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Thanks Clayton

-Jared

Want any take offs?

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I think mtag only carries the DOT race tires, could be wrong. Ask Mr.Kurtz

He has the slicks too.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Can confirm, I've got slicks on my FZR that MTAG sold and mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I think mtag only carries the DOT race tires, could be wrong. Ask Mr.Kurtz

All pirelli race tires. They don't carry street tires though.

And you don't have to pay extra to deal with Mr. Kurtz. That price is included.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Ha, yeah, that's me. Welcome to Motorcycle Tires Gear is where you'll find them, perhaps we need to work on making our website easier to find!

Thanks all; just deciding now whether to have them shipped or show up to the track with wheels off the bike.

-Jared

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Thanks all; just deciding now whether to have them shipped or show up to the track with wheels off the bike.
    Either way works for me. April 23rd at Thompson with Tony's Track Days is our first trackside event this year.

If you are doing April 23, we are not on track until noon, so there's tons of time that morning to get tires squared away. (thus saving any shipping / mounting costs)

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Seems semi-tough to find Supercorsas in the 160 rear size online, which makes me think I'm looking wrong.
    Is there a "local Pirelli guy"?
    Get them at a track day?
    Go to shop and have them order a set?
    I use sportbiketrackgear.com. Reasonable to deal with and free shipping

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

Looking for a set myself. Any suggestions for tires to use without warmers. Blue group pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    Looking for a set myself. Any suggestions for tires to use without warmers. Blue group pace.
    Assuming you're asking about the Pirellis, the Supercorsa, while a race tire, works fine without warmers. At a trackday, take a lap or two to warm them up, and then you're good to go...same as you should do with any tire. At TTD events, you'll see most of the instructors running these tires and not using warmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    Myself and most of the staff run the Supercorsas without warmers. A lap or two to warm up and good to go.

Here's my theory. You could run a street tire, which would warm up a little quicker, but then could get greasy near the end of the session.

Personally, I'd rather go a little slower during my first 2 laps... when I am getting my brain up to speed. At the end of the session, I assume I'll be going my best and that's when I want my tire at it's best.

EDIT: Just to add some clarification on above. A "street" tire is designed to work at lower temps (the tire temp...not the air temp) - basically, temps you'd normally attain when riding on the road. A track or race tire is designed to operate at higher temperatures... temps you'd expect to reach when riding on a track.

Because of this, a street tire can get overheated on a track. When this happens, it is usually near the end of the session. Conversely, a track tire won't have max grip until you get it's temp up. Using warmers gets you a jump on reaching this higher temp, but it's not required.

Last edited by TTD; 03-24-17 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add more info
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Myself and most of the staff run the Supercorsas without warmers. A lap or two to warm up and good to go.

Here's my theory. You could run a street tire, which would warm up a little quicker, but then could get greasy near the end of the session.

Personally, I'd rather go a little slower during my first 2 laps... when I am getting my brain up to speed. At the end of the session, I assume I'll be going my best and that's when I want my tire at it's best.

Solid advice right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Philkinson View Post
    I use sportbiketrackgear.com. Reasonable to deal with and free shipping
    Tony and I are pretty reasonable to deal with(well, sometimes ), and we'll even mount and balance them for you at the track. Stop by the garage and see us sometime.

EDIT: Just to add some clarification on above. A "street" tire is designed to work at lower temps (the tire temp...not the air temp) - basically, temps you'd normally attain when riding on the road. A track or race tire is designed to operate at higher temperatures... temps you'd expect to reach when riding on a track.

Because of this, a street tire can get overheated on a track. When this happens, it is usually near the end of the session. Conversely, a track tire won't have max grip until you get it's temp up. Using warmers gets you a jump on reaching this higher temp, but it's not required.
    Great advice, thanks.

Is SC1 front / SC2 rear the typical setup?

I've heard the SC's like to run at lower pressures than the typical 30/30 baseline recommendation. One of the reasons I've been planning to run warmers was to help get the pressure right. When you're running SC's without them, what cold pressure do you typically start with, and do you set it to something different when you come in after the first session?

-Jared

As for SWIZZ's question... yes, the combo you mentioned will be just fine for a lightweight bike at the tracks we're running this year.

As for pressures without warmers, that's a tough one because how much the pressure rises depends on the rider. On my CBR1000, I am usually looking for a final HOT pressure of about 31 F / 27 R. I start about 4 lbs lower and do an easy session, but I make sure by the last laps I am close to speed.

I come in and immediately lower them to 30F / 26R. That is close enough for the second session. As soon as I come off after the second session (assuming I was at full speed for a couple of laps), I adjust them one more time to my final pressures... and they are usually good to go for the 2 days.

EDIT: Please note that some riders do go with lower rear pressures... AFTER testing and AFTER ensuring that the tire is slipping and it's not attributable to bike setup, rider error, etc. The HOT PRESSURES of 31 or 32 Front PSI and 26 to 28 Rear PSI are fine for most riders.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TTD; 03-24-17 at 10:20 AM.
    Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Start with a wild ass guess for cold temp, then go ride. When you come in check the hot off the track pressure and adjust as needed. Note, while there is a 'target' hot pressure, your riding style and what you feel on track will be the ultimate decider of when you're 'right' so you may end up above or below the on paper sweet spot. Once you've got them right hot, wait for them to cool and check again so you've got a good baseline cold pressure for next time. Also bear in mind that if it's sunny or overcast, hot or cold, etc will all impact these numbers a bit too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I will second this. After getting back on a bike for the first time 2 years ago, I ran Q3s all that season and was incredibly impressed at their grip. At the price point, I couldn't imagine running anything else. I ran them most of the next season with Tony muttering, "you'll see" in the background. After getting my comfort back on a bike and the set-up in the right direction, I was able to find the limit of these tires all too quickly and couldn't help but overheat them every single session out. It was beyond frustrating. Up until that point, they're great, and if you're comfortable running them there they are a very cost effective tire.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 03-24-17 at 10:49 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I will second this. After getting back on a bike for the first time 2 years ago, I ran Q3s all that season and was incredibly impressed at their grip. At the price point, I couldn't imagine running anything else. I ran them most of the next season with Tony muttering, "you'll see" in the background. After getting my comfort back on a bike and the set-up in the right direction, I was able to find the limit of these tires all too quickly and couldn't help but overheat them every single session out. It was beyond frustrating. Up until that point, they're great, and if you're comfortable running them there they are a very cost effective tire.
    I had a very similar experience, except chose to run the experiment at my first race weekend. Basically the same outcome.

One counter point is that I was somewhat disappointed at the cold grip the Q2's gave. They also required a warmup lap or two. I actually find the Pirelli race tires had more cold grip than the Q2's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast