Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

where do y'all get your Pirellis?

Re: where do y'all get your Pirellis?

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I will second this. After getting back on a bike for the first time 2 years ago, I ran Q3s all that season and was incredibly impressed at their grip. At the price point, I couldn't imagine running anything else. I ran them most of the next season with Tony muttering, "you'll see" in the background. After getting my comfort back on a bike and the set-up in the right direction, I was able to find the limit of these tires all too quickly and couldn't help but overheat them every single session out. It was beyond frustrating. Up until that point, they're great, and if you're comfortable running them there they are a very cost effective tire.
    Feel like I'm headed toward the same scenario. I ran Rosso III's all last season but they'd get slippery as hell to the point where my sessions were only ten minutes.

Picked up a track bike with Q3's on it and lowsided on my 3rd lap of Loudon. Never got an opportunity to push the bike that day due to low temperature. The tires didn't give me the same feel as my Pirelli's though and definetly not as confidence inspiring. I'm sure DOT race tires will be a game changer.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    Feel like I'm headed toward the same scenario. I ran Rosso III's all last season but they'd get slippery as hell to the point where my sessions were only ten minutes.

Picked up a track bike with Q3's on it and lowsided on my 3rd lap of Loudon. Never got an opportunity to push the bike that day due to low temperature. The tires didn't give me the same feel as my Pirelli's though and definetly not as confidence inspiring. I'm sure DOT race tires will be a game changer.
    In all honesty...if you've never used race tires, you're mind is going to be blown.

You're going to be riding at what was the limit of the street tires and not even be close to the race tires. I find it a lot of fun finding and learning the limit of a new tire. You're going to get to do it all over again potentially seconds faster a lap.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

What's the difference between SC2 and 1? Not sure what tire to get.. I'm on the street but I prefer as fast as possible on the track.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Compounds, SC1 is softer than an SC 2

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I rode on street tires all last year. Can't friggin wait to get back on good rubber. Took a lot of mental capacity to constantly remind myself to twist slower.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

So I want supercorsa SC 1?

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    gomtag.com I think is the local Pirelli guys, who also happen to be members here.
    The first (and last) time I tried to get Pirellis from MTAG, Mr. Kurtz's exact paraphrased words were, "Go pound sand, Mattr302, I ain't got no Angel GT's!"

So I think I bought them from Motomummy.

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    So I want supercorsa SC 1?

Depends on the bike and conditions. It's backwards, but in cooler temps you want SC2s IIRC, bigger bike will demand harder, etc.

Edit: And if you need a 160 rear you don't get a vote.

Ok..
    Ride street and track.. mv agusta 800

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Compounds, SC1 is softer than an SC 2
    this is a bit of an oversimplification... especially if you then try to reason that an SC1 works better in colder temps... or that an SC2 will last longer because it's "harder".

If you are just starting out on Pirelli's, MTAG can get you a recommended setup based on your details. However, with basically 4 combinations (SC1 or SC2 in front, and SC1 or SC2 in back) ... we do encourage people to try different setups. (while most people will not be able to tell the difference, some bikes and/or riders do have a preference)

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    Ok..
    Ride street and track.. mv agusta 800

So let me understand this, you want a tire for both street and track? Or just track? The Pirelli SC is a track only tire , for the most part.The Pirelli SP tire is both street and track, that tire is the one that comes on some of the Ducati super bikes. If you're looking to get a tire for both street and track, the SP might be a better choice.

Last edited by theducman; 03-25-17 at 10:49 AM.
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    So let me understand this, you want a tire for both street and track? Or just track? The Pirelli SC is a track only tire , for the most part.The Pirelli SP tire is both street and track, that tire is the one that comes on some of the Ducati super bikes. If you're looking to get a tire for both street and track, the SP might be a better choice.
    Ya.. for both... I am leaning towards just doing track cuz I'm tired of the street but I don't want to make my f3 a dedicated track bike..
    So if I end up selling it I think I'll go track only

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    this is a bit of an oversimplification... especially if you then try to reason that an SC1 works better in colder temps... or that an SC2 will last longer because it's "harder".

If you are just starting out on Pirelli's, MTAG can get you a recommended setup based on your details. However, with basically 4 combinations (SC1 or SC2 in front, and SC1 or SC2 in back) ... we do encourage people to try different setups. (while most people will not be able to tell the difference, some bikes and/or riders do have a preference)
    Thanks dude.. I'm on the stock pirelli's that came on my bike

Lifer

Why can't you street ride an SC tire? ('Cause I do.)