Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yamaha FZ-07 based mini-Tenere

Yamaha FZ-07 based mini-Tenere

What the hell, I'll be the one to start the thread on this one.

Spy Shots of Yamaha FZ-07 Tenere Adventure Bike | MOTORCYCLIST
    XTZ 700 – Yamaha’s new mid-size Tenere | I'd rather be riding…

The rumor is an FZ/MT-07 chassis and engine wrapped in ADV type packaging. The spy shots sure do look like a 21" front. Twin front brakes unlike the Honda approach. No DCTs or fancy-pants tomfolery. Just a modern motorcycle with a windscreen, upright ergos and wheels suitable for abuse.

Specs on the FZ-07 are pretty sweet. I've not ridden one, but everyone I know that has loved it.

$7,000 MSRP
    8-valve 689cc liquid-cooled DOHC parallel twin
    6-speed trans
    Chain drive
    3.7 gal tank x 58 mpg mileage => 215 mile range
    Advertised weight just under 400 lbs
    As tested RWP is something like 67 hp x 45 ftlbs

Add 10-15% weight penalty for moar fuel and ADV styling and you're still looking at like 450lbs wet.

Done right I think that could really, really not suck.

I've ridden the big Tenere and found it utterly forgettable. Shaft drive does nothing for me and 600-ish lbs is past my breaking point. Engine was meh. Instruments and fit and finish were all fine, but nothing exciting. This looks to not be any of that.

Doooooeit Yamaha. Doeit!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Yamaha FZ-07 based mini-Tenere

Could be a fun rig. I agree that they need to stay with the FZ modus and keep it simple and priced right. Leave the farkles for the aftermarket.
    Keep the weight in check and the leave the tech at home.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

That's a different bike (single) than the new FZ07 based bike (twin)

It's also not available over here

-Matt

This could be a great bike. I did very much like the FZ-07 when I testrode one. In fact, I liked it quite a lot better than the FZ-09, which I also testrode that same day. Agreed -- keep it light and simple, and this could be the right size compromise for actually going out and adventuring.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I don't understand why they aren't building that exact whip with a 6spd gearbox.
    Everything else is easily fixable, suspension, fuel capacity, the whole 9.
    But a 6spd MAKES a bike in that category.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I don't understand why they aren't building that exact whip with a 6spd gearbox.
    Everything else is easily fixable, suspension, fuel capacity, the whole 9.
    But a 6spd MAKES a bike in that category.
    The FZ-07 is a six-speed; I imagine this proposed mini-Tenere would keep that feature.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 08-09-16 at 12:08 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

You know, that's an interesting one. Water cooled. Fuel injected. Probably meets or can be made to meet most emissions regs. Even available ABS.
    A little portly as it is at least 100 lbs than the only other modern big thumper I can think of, the 690 Enduro R. But yeah.
    I'm not even sure the 5-speed is that damming.

For my use, the thumper engine config is lights out. Not interested in distance touring a thumper.

Also of note. I saw a really well setup F800GS this weekend. It wasn't overloaded with 100l boxes and too much shit like a GSA, but rather turned out more like an actual dual sport. Had a nice exhaust on it. Helped that the pilot knew what the hell he was doing too. Suddenly have a bit more respect for that machine.
    Still weary of the roundel. But that's probably just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The FZ-07 is a six-speed; I imagine this mini-Tenere would keep that feature.
    He's talking about the RoW XT660z mentioned a few posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The FZ-07 is a six-speed; I imagine this proposed mini-Tenere would keep that feature.
    He's talking about the RoW XT660z mentioned a few posts above.
    Right. But I'm talking about the bike this thread is about, and offered that up in response to his post to say that this proposed bike might address his wants.

PhilB

Right. But I'm talking about the bike this thread is about, and offered that up in response to his post to say that this proposed bike might address his wants.

PhilB
    Yeah, I was yapping about the bike in the video.

We can all agree though that in today's day and age, new models should have six gears, right??

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Yeah, I was yapping about the bike in the video.

We can all agree though that in today's day and age, new models should have six gears, right??
    Yeah, pretty much. Maybe some big twin cruisers don't need that. OTOH, I remember some of those 250 2-stroke screamers that were popular in Europe some years back had 7-speeds, to handle the razor-thin powerbands that come with getting about 70hp from a 250 2-stroke twin.

PhilB

Since BetaBoy is over in that other thread bumping stuff.

Just right sized.

Note the exhaust is run between the frame rails. Seems to me a chunk of aluminum would cover that nicely.

I was gonna say in the other thread... ditch the beak. This is pretty hot.

Edit: but there is no way in hell the production unit looks anything like this. Pip dream. Nice render though.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 11-10-16 at 08:57 PM.
    Paul_E_D

It's a concept. Shown at the euro show. I agree, no way most of those features make production. I prefer that. I'm looking for a softer, more tour friendly "adv" treatment. Wider seat. Bigger tank. Less aggressive wheels. So on. I'm fine with the dirt bike plastics though. Bout time someone put dirt bike plastics on an full size ADV'er.

Somewhere on FB I saw closeups of the underbelly showing the exhaust routing. Marginally better than the Honda and other big adv'ers.

If they can release this with some real suspension they could take over the market.
    Oh, and electronic cruise control.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Sad that MC manufactures offer the OLD Dual Purpose formula for bikes under the 1000cc range. Starting with inexpensive parts bin stuff they form a heavy bike dripping with low-tech for a damp towel to the face experience. The KTM 690 and Husky 701 are not in that category. They are also sold out. They lean a bit too much toward enduro's with a license plate.

Yamaha has been doing well with hitting the mark with bikes that make sense. This seems to be the bike a lot of people like myself are waiting for. Something worth riding to the Berkshires and then not fearing having to pick it up if it decides to take a dirt nap. I don't want to lift 500+ lbs onto its feet. Keep it under 350 dry. And give it a plastic tank.

The Honda CRF 250 Rally looks like a great option but we wish it had a 450 and not a 250 motor as its 350lbs heft on a 250 seems a bit under powered.

Send cash... I need a track day

Oh, and electronic cruise control.
    I wasn't really interested in tempting fate by putting it to text. But since you went there, yes please. I think you and I are just about on the same page.

Won't happen though. MT/FZ-07 is a regular old throttle cable setup, not fly-by like the -09. No electronic nannies on the 7, which is why I am excited to see them doing this treatment to the -07 and not the -09. The -09 would wind up being just another Tiger copy; too much expensive bullshit, not enough motorbike.
    And I believe twins >> triples.
    Oh, and price. The -07 has been cost competitive.

I just want decent suspension, decent brakes and a solid mill. No ride modes. I'm prepared to forego ABS.

I'm really disappointed that Yami doesn't have this ready for market yet. From the spy shots teased earlier in the year I expected them to show a nearly production ready bike this fall. Not a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    ...we wish it had a 450...
    Yeah we do.

The 250L is uninspiring. And this is me saying that; I'm happy behind the bars of a DL650.

CB500F motor squeezed into a CRF250L

HONDA CRF500L BUILD - YouTube

Send cash... I need a track day

It's a concept. Shown at the euro show. I agree, no way most of those features make production. I prefer that. I'm looking for a softer, more tour friendly "adv" treatment. Wider seat. Bigger tank. Less aggressive wheels. So on. I'm fine with the dirt bike plastics though. Bout time someone put dirt bike plastics on an full size ADV'er.
    Gah, you want another crappy adv bike? There are plenty out there. Someone needs to give us an actual performer in the middleweight category. Put a wider seat and bigger tank on this and you have a sit down sucky bike for offroad. This concept kicks ass as is IMO. Too bad it will never see the light of day.

Paul_E_D

If a lighter, freshened up DL650 with better brakes and suspension is "another crappy adv bike". Then yes, that's exactly what I want.

If a lighter, freshened up DL650 with better brakes and suspension is "another crappy adv bike". Then yes, that's exactly what I want.
    LOL, so be it. I want to see a real weapon made available.

Paul_E_D

Yes it is probably good though I have sworn off of Yamaha

Considering the DL650 has been around for like 15 years it is hardly breath of fresh air

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

How 'bout a BMW 310GS?

313cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine that produces a claimed 34 hp and features a backward-tilted cylinder and cylinder head rotated by 180 degrees.

The 310 GS has a similar frame to the 310 R, but the suspension has extra travel (an added 1.6 inches up front, and extra 1.9 inches out back), with a total of 7.1 inches at each end. The rear shock is adjustable for spring preload, too. Seat height is 32.9 inches, and wet weight is 374 lbs.

Rolling stock includes a19-inch front wheel and 17-inch rear that are wrapped in 110/80 R-19 and 150/70 R-17 rubber, respectively. Brakes include a four-piston caliper up front biting on a 300mm disc, and dual-piston caliper out back on a 240mm disc. ABS is standard, but can be switched off for off-road riding.

Although the G 310 GS is a lighter, more accessible, less expensive version of the larger GS models, it still has a rather tall 32.9-inch seat height. (The adjustable seat height on the R 1200 GS is 33.5/34.3 inches.) Fuel capacity is 2.9 gallons, and a large LCD instrument panel provides a wide range of information to the rider.
    A wide range of accessories will be available, including low and high seats, a centerstand, luggage, heated grips, a 12V socket, BMW Motorrad Navigator V GPS and more.

The 2017 BMW G 310 GS will be available in Cosmic Black non-metallic, Racing Red non-metallic and Pearl White metallic. Pricing and availability are TBD.

Last edited by Garandman; 11-14-16 at 12:58 PM.
    If stupidity got us into this mess, why canít it get us out?
    Will Rogers

The rear suspension is adjustable for spring pre-load?

OH man! That's straight out of 1970's small displacement econo-bike tech! SO CUTTING EDGE!

If they mention THAT as a perk, I'm scared of the things they decided didn't warrant mention.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast