Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yamaha FZ-07 based mini-Tenere

Re: Yamaha FZ-07 based mini-Tenere

really wish the ex500 had some simple bolt ons to convert it into an adv bike

was out last night zinging it on the freeways and was able to go just fast enough to pass almost any car....went to a stunt spot thursday and was carrying some 1st gear clutch ups, and raced a Civic Si and beat him

hmm...after re-reading my post, the T7 is definitely not for me

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-01-19 at 02:08 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I took the Duke 790 out for a ride last week. The bike was a trade in at Wagner. The engine left me feeling meh. It didn't have the low end toque of a single. I felt it was more like a Ducati 800 twin than a KTM pump. Made me go put a deposit on the Yamaha for next year. I think the 44Teeth review was spot on for what I am looking for. A softer more comfortable cheaper 790 ADV.

0 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    It didn't have the low end toque of a single. I felt it was more like a Ducati 800 twin than a KTM pump.
    What do you mean a "KTM pump"? The 790 is a parallel twin. Isn't going like a Ducati 800 a good thing?

I've not ridden any of these. But FWIW all of the reviews (I've watched a few) indicate the tuning delta between the 790 Duke and 790 ADV is substantial; ADV being tuned for more poke down-low, less up-stairs.

0 Not allowed!

Maybe it was riding my Harley into the dealership that day. The 110 ci Lowrider S has some foot pounds to play with and it probably made the 790 feel a bit revvy rather than typical KTM stump pulling, low end torque. My brief wheelie test showed it to be a bit high strung to compared to a 690 motor. The 790 ADV-R is the bike everyone wants. Why KTM made that bike =1 to every 4 of the 790 base is beyond me. They should have made it the other way around! The base models are sitting at dealers.

The T7 is cheaper. Doesn't have the whiz bang electronics that I would more than likely shut off. It looks better. I don't like the pregnant look of the 790. While it probably works better it looks too bizarre for even me. The 790 seat I hear is an old fashion all day seat. I would be happy to find that on any KTM.

2 Not allowed!

The advr definitely has less off the bottom than a traditional lc8 twin, but it’s nothing your wrist and clutch hand won’t find intuitive within the first ten miles.
    Looks are totally subjective. I definitely think the world raid proto looks better, but what they’ve shown as the production bike has the same 80’s cruiser (magna, Vulcan, etc) lines about the tank that I’m not into at all.
    As for electronic nanny aids, I don’t have enough interface/seat time with them yet to really have a strong opinion. I will say, it’s annoying to go into rally mode and not automatically get off-road abs. You still have to go back and switch the abs separately. The throttle response profile defaults (I think) to whatever it was left at in that mode, so the only real benefit is the adjustable tc on the fly. Those other 2 items are menu accessible, but involves backing up to get to them.
    Electronic cruise was most defintely a big seller for me on this one though. That was absolutely mandatory for any bike I was buying myself for my 40th. Now if the switch module would produce itself...

2 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm excited to hear that someone here has some money down on a T7. I'm pretty confident it is going to be a very solid ADV machine. I'm still just a bit crusty about the rollout.. especially here in the US. Dafuq!

Re: torque. You think the ~700cc Yamaha is going to be any different here? Same config, similar displacement, etc.
    I think I've bought into the marketing because the concept of the "c" in the LC8c moniker is getting to me. Compact twin with twin characteristics in a package only a bit bigger than a thumper? Cool.
    You say it spins like a Ducati 800? Perfect.

Looks. I think I hear what chipper is on about re: the T7 looks. I guess I just don't care. Ditto for the 790 ADV tank. I'm fine with it.
    But then I daily loved a DL650 for 7 years. Clearly my tastes are suspect.

I hear you on the 790 ADV vs ADV-R thing. Is it really 4:1? I can't believe many would not find the extra $1k for the -R. Seems like the suspension alone is worth it. 10% more $.. fuggit.
    Wonder if there won't be some .. uh .. flexibility in the 790 ADV standard pricing before long. Maybe some dealers will get creative and stick KTM's $5000 accessory "pro" suspension on a leftover standard to move the bike (at a premium of course). That'd be interesting.

I haven't even seen the bike in person yet. But I think I really want a 790 ADV-R. I think this is the unicorn I have been after. I have no rational reason for wanting such a machine. But, fuggit. Ready to go back to a garage of just one.

1 Not allowed!

Yes the looks are subjective and yes that swoop cruiser style tank does leave a bit of an 80's vibe. Also your point on cruise control being a must have.... Ouch! That is something I use if even for a short period to rest my right shoulder.... That has me thinking...

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123