Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yamaha FZ-09

Re: Yamaha FZ-09

Quote Originally Posted by davemon View Post
    Looks like a great bike at a great price. Sure, it's not adjustable up front and such but it's comparatively inexpensive. I hope it sells as we could use some more options to bring in newer riders and riders who don't have the cash for high end stuff. Think about the cost of one of these 2 years after it's been on the road... And if it sells maybe they make an S or R (or whatever Yamaha does) of it with Ohlins bling! Pretty cool.
    It does look like a great bike for the price. I was hoping a newly updated R1 would be released for next year. But now being disappointed that I'll have to wait at least one more year I might try out the FZ-09 for a season. And if they offer it with some Ohlin bling it might just turn into a keeper!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Has anyone ridden or sat on one of these yet? I like the idea of the triple and some of the features it has, including the price. However, I'm always hesitant to buy a first year/generation model of anything. I also found a a new leftover 2012 fz-08 for a real good price and was thinking about pulling the trigger on it, just want to be able to test ride one first. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    Has anyone ridden or sat on one of these yet? I like the idea of the triple and some of the features it has, including the price. However, I'm always hesitant to buy a first year/generation model of anything. I also found a a new leftover 2012 fz-08 for a real good price and was thinking about pulling the trigger on it, just want to be able to test ride one first. Any thoughts?
    I love my fz8. suspension needs a little tlc, im aware of atleast 4 cases where the rear suspension arm buckled but for a $7k bike its hard to beat

The price is pretty close to 7k, which makes it very appealing, just haven't ridden a 4cylinder in quite sometime and unsure of how it will ride. The new positioning also looks to be a little more upright, but nothing a new set of handlebars can't cure on the fz8.

Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    I'm with SVRACER01. By definition, a triple can't be a crossplane. They're using the term as marketing hype, basically telling the consumer they are too stupid to know the difference. I say F-you Yamaha.

Having said that, I'm sure they bike will be pretty sweet and a decent competitor to the Street Triple (R), Monster, StreetFighter 848, etc. But let's call a spade a spade. I hate marketing hype crap designed specifically to mislead the consumer.

End Rant

Rob
    I believe the term crossplane is still accurate here. Maybe a little embellishment by their marketing group (to build off the success of their R1 cross-plane engine, I assume). It seems most triples, including Triumph's, already utilize this crank configuration so it's nothing new. I don't interpret "Cross" to mean that the crankpins are perpendicular to each other, but just that they cross each other rather than being in the same plane. For a 4 cylinder engine, they are oriented 90 degrees apart meaning they are perpendicular (and equiangular). However, for the 3 cylinder engine, the planes are still crossing at 120 degrees apart and are equiangular..

EDIT: Just realized this was already addressed on Page 1 of this thread.. oh well.

As for the bike itself, I kind of like it. I could see myself riding one, since the triples just seem great (I've also been looking at the Street Triple/Daytona quite a bit the past couple of years so that makes sense). The suspension definitely appears to be the weak point due to limited adjustability and that's probably how they hit this price point. I'm interested to hear how it compares to the Street Triple and overall opinions on the bike.

Wonder if they'll make a higher spec version at some point?

Last edited by stanga5o; 09-20-13 at 01:36 PM.

The suspension seems to be a weak point on a lot of bikes in that price range. With the lower price of the bike it would prob be worth bringing it somewhere to have the suspension tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    The suspension seems to be a weak point on a lot of bikes in that price range. With the lower price of the bike it would prob be worth bringing it somewhere to have the suspension tuned.
    Honestly, that's pretty much part of EVERY bike purchase for me these days. Even the ones with good running gear need to be set up.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

All things being equal, I'd rather hand my money to Yamaha than Triumph. Still not ready to trust a euro brand.
    I also can't understand why people can't trust a European (Triumph) motorcycle.

In my case, my 2000 Sprint RS had 54,000 miles on it when I sold it six years after buying it new. In all thosemiles it never once left me stranded, and only two things ever went wrong with it. One, at 38,000 mile I had one of the ignition coils start failing, and at 46,000 miles the cooling fan failed. I replaced the ignition coil for $115.00, and got a slightly used fan from Baxter Cycles (Marne Iowa) for $180.00. Never spent more than a few hours in any shop, just for routine maintenance such as 12,000 mile valve clearance checks.

My next bike was a 2005 Tiger 955i, never had a problem in 18,000 miles

The Tiger 800 I have now went to the shop for a 500 mile checkup, no problems and hasn't been to the shop since, now at 6800 miles. (Haven't been riding much since just before and now after my dad passed on 7/15.)

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Lifer

I am excited by this bike as well. As an average rider, I don't look to tweak the suspension much after setting it properly once. The 2008 Yamaha FZ6 I had had only rear preload adjustment which honestly was the only thing I used when my wife would get on the back. Yamaha's relationship with Ohlins benefited them tremendously and my limited experience with their bread and butter suspension has been very positive - mind you, I weigh less than the average American. To me the most exciting news is this engine. The size, torque and price can be used for many applications. For a naked bike with decent economy the range should be fine. I easily get 140 miles out of my 696 with a similar tank and shorter gearing. I would totally get a TDM replacement if one was available. They can also go in the direction of a VFR800 bike as well - right now I don't see any replacement for my VFR except the BMW F800ST which is way more expensive. Versys is something I am considering but not excited about the looks. Vstrom is even more versatile but less sporty. In any case, if it wasn't for the motor lacking torque I would not have replaced my FZ6. If the can put this motor into the current euro Fazer8 I'd buy it.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Is be interested to try it. Compare it to my street triple. If anyone gets one and wants to swap rides for a few miles during a ride just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I also can't understand why people can't trust a European (Triumph) motorcycle.
    +1. It's just plain stupid. The modern Triumphs are right up there with the Japanese in terms of reliability.

My '01 Bonneville has needed nothing in 30,000 miles except the usual consumables and a new ignition coil (original one eventually got weak). My Tiger 800 XC has needed nothing at all in 47,000 miles besides the usual consumables. Neither bike has ever even needed a valve adjustment.

And these are not exceptional cases. You'll find a lot of Hinckley Triumphs that have piled on the miles with no issues.

For the sake of comparison... my Honda XR650L needed a new CDI box at less than 10,000 miles.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Markbvt ans sprintposer, You'll be pleased to know I bought a *gasp* triumph! 07 675. We shall see, but I like it so far!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Ken owns 3 triumphs out of those one has been perfect, one broke a clutch and left him stranded and one had to be completely replaced because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and it kept leaving him stranded. Add to that my other friends who have had them and had pieces randomly fall off because half of the bolts weren't even tight. It doesn't really leave me with warm fuzzies. Which sucks cause I would love a street triple r.

But my point is that no, it isn't "stupid" to have reservations about triumphs. Just because you have had awesome experiences with one example of a brand does not make other people stupid for disagreeing with you.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DaveZX6r; 10-01-13 at 05:31 PM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Markbvt ans sprintposer, You'll be pleased to know I bought a *gasp* triumph! 07 675. We shall see, but I like it so far!
    Yes Paul, I am quite surprised!

Congratulations on the purchase. I hope it works out well for you. Is this a track tool for TTD work, or a street ride. Or both?

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

It has to do double duty for sure, but it will be a fully setup track mount first, and a street ride second. I have no commute, so it's just for a little fun on the street. It is very nearly done as far as track parts go. The last bit I'm adding are the attack triple claps at 28mm offset...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    attack triple claps
    I don't know if they make an antibiotic strong enough for that.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

LOL. TRIPLE clap. FML

Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12