Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Yamaha FZ-09 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Suzuki GSX-S 650 opinions

Yamaha FZ-09 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Suzuki GSX-S 650 opinions

I'm starting to shop for a new steed. It will be a one up ride only. Will be used for some fun back road riding and the occasional track day. I don't want a straight up sport bike. I'm looking at the FZ09, Z900, and GSX S750. Right now I'm leaning to the FZ. I'm looking for opions good or bad for any of the three and hopefully some people with some real experience riding them. I'm also open to other models in the same class as those.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Lifer

Re: Yamaha FZ-09 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Suzuki GSX-S 650 opinions

The gsx is watered down, and a let down. I would forget that unless you loooove suzooks.

I have a soft spot for the z900 because I believe it uses the same 943cc mill or whatever (not sober here), that the zx9r used.

The fz9 is a bit more intriguing with the triple... I'd say it goes to your size. Of you are shorter and lighter, but the fz.

Of you are taller, I would go with the z900

Lifer

Lol. IF you are shorter and lighter, BUY the FZ.

if you are bigger, BUY the z900.

That really goes down to triple vs inline four. You have no preference?

I'd suggest also checking out the Triumph Street Triple, and the Ducati Monster 821.

I haven't ridden the GSX-S750, but I did test the GSX-S1000, and was quite impressed with it.
    Likewise, I haven't ridden the Z-900, but did test the Z-1000, and liked it a lot.

I did not like the FZ-09 when I rode it; it was very unsmooth and unrefined.
    I have heard this has been fixed, but haven't confirmed that for myself. If you go that way, make sure you get a newer one.

Honda's closest to this is the CB1000r, which I have heard is a good bike, but haven't ridden yet.
    Honda makes good stuff, though.

The Triumph Street Triple is, or will soon be, available as an 800, so might be a good option.
    Triumph makes very good bikes these days, and the Street Triple has been a great bike from the start.
    I've ridden the 675 version several times, and it's on my shortlist for reasonably-priced bikes.

The Ducati M821 I found very impressive and well balanced. I would very much recommend giving that a try.
    The only reason it's not on my shortlist is the existence of the new Ducati 939SS.

The BMW F800R I found to be profoundly uninspiring. Too soft, boring to ride.

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Supposedly the 2017 FZ-09 has had all the issues that plagued the first one fixed, such as better fuel mapping and better suspension. It's also lighter than all the other options. And it finally looks good IMO.

The Z900 is a new model (having replaced both the Z1000 and the Z800) and is supposed to be an all-around good, no frills, pretty typical Kawi naked. I always loved my 08 Z1000, but there was really nothing special about it unless you consider no-nonsense to be special.

The GSX-S750 I've heard nothing about, although I had heard it's bigger brother the GSX-S1000 is an excellent machine with an actual superbike engine for a nice change (most Japanese nakeds get watered down powerplants it seems). I've also heard that a lot of the GSX-S line is has been pretty deeply discounted due to poor sales, it might be worth looking at the 1000 as well.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I did not like the FZ09 either. But then I'm not much for triples in general.
    Meanwhile I loved the FZ07. Fantastic bike. I tested one with the Yamaha branded Yosh slip-on on it and it sounded great. Light, fun, well turned out.. great bike.
    Then I went over and tested a Super Tenere and hated it. Amazes me that the same company can make all of these bikes, some great, some not, some just meh.

Busa

I have a 2017 FZ 09 and I love it. I was in the same boat as you looking for a more upright bike. It has plenty of grunt down low and it perfect for riding around town or windy road cruising. You will probably want a windshield for the highway. For 2017 they fixed the front end, put in a slipper clutch and a few other bits. I would definitely recommend it for the street. It would probably be good on the track, I can't say I haven't taken mine yet. Full disclosure, it wheelies reallyyyyy easily and the throttle is pretty choppy depending on which setting you set the bike to so the front wheel kinda floats around a lot. I would 100% buy it again, coming from an 848 Evo, this is way more comfortable and personally I think it's way more fun to ride.

Street Triple RS, or FZ-09+suspension.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Mmmmmmm fz09