Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

One more for 07

One more for 07

It was 40 degrees or so today, and we only got about an inch or 2 of new snow last night which melted quickly. So we suited up for a ride. Dual sports this time, because it would be crazy to ride the street bikes on sand and ice covered roads , right?

We tried to stay to the back country farm roads which was like dual sporting in its self , most of the tar roads were covered in sand and frost heaves, and the dirt roads had wet mush spots and a few snow and Ice covered places

We stopped for a quick leg stretch and to figure out which direction to head next, then it became clear the direction was to head home to get the truck.

We had pulled into the lot of a country store and lucky for us they had fix a flat, but unlucky for us , fix a flat won't repair a torn valve stem. So leah gives the ADV salute to the wheel, and I'm headed for home to get the truck.

One last ADV salute before unloading.

Luck for us I have a spare tube on the shelf. Leah makes lunch and I get to work.

20 minutes later and we are ready to roll. Just as I thought it was another valve stem.

We went 4 years with out so much as a flat, then we have had 3 torn valve stems on 3 different bikes this year alone. Go figure.

So we are back off again.

So I head down this snow covered road that obviously doesn't get treated in the winter months, and not a couple hundred feet into I loop a 180 and fall into the snow, which made it easier I guess because now I didn't have to worry about getting the bike turned around, but it was an up hill battle getting back up to the road.

leah was smart and didn't even attempt the icey tire ruts.

Here is the bike imprint in the snow

Back to more passable terrain

We were both getting cold so headed for home.

the sun was going down as we pulled in

Not including the repair and lunch time, we were out for roughly 3 hours of actual riding. but only covered 56 miles, ice isn't something you can ride fast on with out studds.

We "might'' get in one more before the year is out. then 08 starts a new season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: One more for 07

Looks like fun Sean. I thought about a ride today but lazyness got the best of me. My excitment of the day was taking the truck to walmart. Yippee.

Bruce

I went out for a short ride today, stopped at Jay's a few before going home

might get out for one more ride tomorrow

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

How the fucking fuck are you fucking fuckers still tearing valve stems?

Thats what I would like to know. It has happened on front and rear tires on 3 different bikes.
    Perhaps low tire pressure allowing a bit of movement between tube and tire?
    Or after trail riding in rocky rooty crap the stem tears a little then when we get out on the street it tears the rest of the way?
    I really don't know, I have used ultra heavy duty tubes from moose, msr and IRC , so I don't know what the common denominator is.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

The only way the fucking valve stem could fucking tear (assuming proper installation of the tire/tube) is if the tire rotated on the rim. Typically, low PSI is the fucking culprit. Assuming you checked the fucking tires' pressure prior to each riding session, I would guess the tear is after the fact of a puncture elsewhere in the fucking tube. But, having a front rip is fucking fucked up. You haven't been using some sort of funky lube to aid tire installs have you?

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    The only way the fucking valve stem could fucking tear (assuming proper installation of the tire/tube) is if the tire rotated on the rim. Typically, low PSI is the fucking culprit. Assuming you checked the fucking tires' pressure prior to each riding session, I would guess the tear is after the fact of a puncture elsewhere in the fucking tube. But, having a front rip is fucking fucked up. You haven't been using some sort of funky lube to aid tire installs have you?
    funky lube? I use KY jelly, it hepls the tire slide right on the rim
    Kidding!

A guy on ADV said the same thing, with out rim locks I should run a higher pressure. I figure the last time we rode prior to this, was at pachaug, then near the house, both were rocky and rooted, if memory serves me her bike had like 18 rear and 15 front for pressure, its possible that on the nasty stuff, she began the tear , probably braking on a down hill rock section, and like a fool I didin't think to check pressure before we shoved off this time. lesson learned, check the pressures prior to every ride, not just the trail rides.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

If the tire was low on air, and you were riding in wet conditions, that might've been enough "lube" for the tire to spin. Lower pressure = more sidewall flex, so maybe some water gots in there? Maybe it fucking frozed? But tearing a front is still really fucking fucked up. Each time I have the tire off the rim, I use a wire brush to clean the rim where the bead seats. Often there's a lot of crud up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    If the tire was low on air, and you were riding in wet conditions, that might've been enough "lube" for the tire to spin. Lower pressure = more sidewall flex, so maybe some water gots in there? Maybe it fucking frozed? But tearing a front is still really fucking fucked up. Each time I have the tire off the rim, I use a wire brush to clean the rim where the bead seats. Often there's a lot of crud up in there.
    I usually do the same, feel for burs or crap on the rim edge and clean it up with scotch brite.
    Bottom line, I guess I need more pressure.

perhaps 20psi rear and 18 psi front. that sounds like a lot and I'm sure it will affect handling but its better than tearing stems out all the time.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Fuckin fuck that's fucked up. I agree. I run 15 fuckin lbs sometime downt o like 11 or 12 fuckin lbs and never ever never have I had a fuckin stem tear. On the 450 I run 2 rim locks in the rear and one up front. But on the fuickin KTM I only rune one fuckin rim fuckin lockin in the fuckin front and one fuckin rim lock in the fuckin rear. If I were fuckin you I would examine your fucking mounting technique. Has some fuckin thing changed? Sounds fucked up to me sean. Even running my fuckin ICE tires I have never ripped a fuckin stem out, and I run fuckin Mountain Bike tubes cuz there isn't enough fuckin room after the fuckin liners to run full fuckin size fuckin tubes.

Sooner or later I hope the fuck you figure out what's fuckin going the fuck on and fill the rest of us fucks in on the fuckin deal.

Good fuckin luck,

Fuckin KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    Fuckin fuck that's fucked up. I agree. I run 15 fuckin lbs sometime downt o like 11 or 12 fuckin lbs and never ever never have I had a fuckin stem tear. On the 450 I run 2 rim locks in the rear and one up front. But on the fuickin KTM I only rune one fuckin rim fuckin lockin in the fuckin front and one fuckin rim lock in the fuckin rear. If I were fuckin you I would examine your fucking mounting technique. Has some fuckin thing changed? Sounds fucked up to me sean. Even running my fuckin ICE tires I have never ripped a fuckin stem out, and I run fuckin Mountain Bike tubes cuz there isn't enough fuckin room after the fuckin liners to run full fuckin size fuckin tubes.

Sooner or later I hope the fuck you figure out what's fuckin going the fuck on and fill the rest of us fucks in on the fuckin deal.

Good fuckin luck,

Fuckin KB

There aren't ANY rim locks on my drz, her klx or either one of the xr70's

my guess is that has something to do with it, I am running dirtbike pressures on tires that do not have rim locks front or rear so the low pressure is allowing the tire to move about on the rim causing the stem to tear.

So I either need to install rim locks OR deal with higher tire pressures and reduced handling as a result.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Fuckin aye dude you need to get some fuckin rim locks. I'm fat and even ran them on the crf50 I used to have. (insert fat guy little bike jokes here).

I would say that's the fucking problemo right there yo!!

KB

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    There aren't ANY rim locks on my drz, her klx or either one of the xr70's

my guess is that has something to do with it, I am running dirtbike pressures on tires that do not have rim locks front or rear so the low pressure is allowing the tire to move about on the rim causing the stem to tear.

So I either need to install rim locks OR deal with higher tire pressures and reduced handling as a result.

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

The wierdest part is if I remember correctly the rims on the drz and the klx are both pre drilled for rim locks but don't come with them, just a rubber plug.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

That is weird. They both should have come with em. I'd be speaking with the dealer and asking them WTF.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

wouldn't locking up the front wheel with the brake make the front tire slip just as easy as spinnng the rear ? frozen moisture may make the rubber more suceptable to tearing too

so why don't dirtbikes have tubless tires ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Spoked wheels and low pressures.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    That is weird. They both should have come with em. I'd be speaking with the dealer and asking them WTF.

KB

I think its a manufacturer thing.
    if you go to the kawasaki website and look at the klx300 which is off road only, you can see the rim lock in the photo but look at the klx250 which is dual sport and there are no rim locks.

As to why they would not put them on a dual sport. I'm not sure. unless it has something to do with pavement and speed?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    wouldn't locking up the front wheel with the brake make the front tire slip just as easy as spinnng the rear ? frozen moisture may make the rubber more suceptable to tearing too

I know dirtbikes have laced wheels, but why not tubeless wheels ?

I never could figure out the reason for low pressure either, most riders that I have been off roading with on stroms reduce their pressure, I tried a couple times, not me, I prefer high pressure. I run max pressure for my tires on the strom, Karoo T's it's 35F/35R on my SV, I used to run 38F/41R but I'm a lard ass

RandyO
    IBA#9560

re: tubless

Factory mx race bikes have tubless wheels, but they're not reliable enough for mass consumption yet. The reduction in unsprung weight is most beneficial in mx, and they're much less likely to get a puncture on the track than off-road.

re: rim locks

I haven't swapped out the tires on our KLX250S yet, but I have on our DRZ400S's. Never had a stem tear out. And I haven't used a HD tube yet? Never had a stem tear on any of our other off-roaders either? I typically run 13f/12r for off-road, and 18f/15r for dual-sport. For road, I bump it up to something like 21f/18r.

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    I think its a manufacturer thing.
    if you go to the kawasaki website and look at the klx300 which is off road only, you can see the rim lock in the photo but look at the klx250 which is dual sport and there are no rim locks.

As to why they would not put them on a dual sport. I'm not sure. unless it has something to do with pavement and speed?
    Perhaps a balance issue?

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK