Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2009 Curtis Ribs Ride Report

2009 Curtis Ribs Ride Report

After what seemed like rain forever...or, what actually was, rain 28 out of hte last 30 days, Sunday bloomed like an early summer orchid. Full of color, light and high expectations!

By the time we departed from Seacoast there were, depending on who was counting, either 38 or 42 bikes. (It's a little challenging trying to count bikes randomly scattered about!) Whatever the count, it was a large group!

Once again, Terry stepped up as sweep and we made it to the heart of the ride which starts in Goffstown with no drama and minimum effort!

As the group snaked out behind, some estimated nearly a mile in length, we stayed together into Hancock where we stopped briefly to hydrate!

Regrouping again, we headed more or less due west. Rt 123 had been freshly paved and middle marked. (Shoulder lines were'nt yet painted...it was that fresh!) This leg was a spirited and traffic free jaunt and was, for me, one of several highlights of the day!

At Rt. 9 I turned left and led the group south to Granite Lake Road. Or, I should say, some of the group. I realized that we weren't all there so I asked everyone to hang tight and went back to the intersection of 123 and 9 where the rest of the group was just tiddying up from an incident involving one of us, and a 75 year old women riding a Harley (not sure..). I don't know exactly what happened but apparently all was well, no harm nor foul, and I left charmed and inspired by that kindly, and tough old broad. She was very sweet...and kind!

I led the group back to Granite Road and just as I realized that we were tucked in a little further than someone heading south on 9 would be able to see us, 2 of our group zoomed by.

Doh...!!! I had everyone wait again and tore off after them. At a clocked 85 I fired past a State Trooper pointed the other way. I kept going, caught up to the other Multi who had also been chasing the lead get away rider...had I only known! Once I saw everyone got the message I banged a Uturn and headed back to the group. An instant later, the Statey flew up, turned around and pulled in behind me where I was already stopped.

He was angry...(and, I kid you not, his name was Trooper Anger. But not pronounced that way as I learned much later in the day!)

He explained that he thought I was running and, being on a Ducati, he'd never catch me. (I must admit I was a little flattered...even as I realized he didnt really know anything about the Multi!) Anyway, after a short lecture, and my explanation, he knocked the ticket from 85 to 75 which eliminated a mandatory court appearence and brought the cost to $100.00. (I later received $1.75 donation from one sympathetic rider, and a $20.00 donation from the wife of the lead guy I was chasing!!! Which was not his bad...and was seriously unneccesary! But thanks!)

So, about 30 minutes delayed and back on our way!

Another 15 miles or so and another turn and again the group was missing some riders. I repeated the routine and headed back and found that another rider had a small off and was just regrouping. We got him going and when we got to 101 he pointed himself home. I got an email later and all is well. He made it home, and he thanks everyone who helped.

After a gas stop just east of Keene, we semi slogged to Brattleboro then north on 5 to Curtis Ribs where a couple of the VT contingent and a rider from Western Mass met up with us!

It took a while but eventually every one was served. And I must say, the Ribs were 'fall off the bone' delicious and the vinagery sauce was taste bud tingley! Once we sorted ourself out, gassed up, we were on our way again.

Before we left Giles (pronounced Jiles...!) agreed to take over sweep from Terry. And what a pleasure to have to pro's keeping things sorted from the tail of the dragon! Thanks again guys!

The next 70 miles or so to Woodstock were on a series of rural roads that wound over hills, past dairy farms, through wooded vallys and along sparkling streams. And behind a Volvo wagon and a Honda something doing the speed limit the entire time. But, given the weather and the scenery, I reset my head and kicked back and pretended that I was on a Harley Fat Boy. And, for me, this was and enjoyable, post lunch, ride. Man...there is some beautiful countryside and lovely farms in Vermont. And this wasnt even a 'Gaps Ride'!

We rode right through Woodstock and stopped at Quiche Gorge.

With the whole group together I explained that, because of time constraints, I would be slabbing my way home on 89. 5 or 6 other folks joined me and I think several others planned to explore more of the sweetness of eastern Vermont and Western NH. Lets hear about it!!!

Just before we left someone reminded me that this was the end of a Holiday weekend...which meant, big time traffic jams on 93 throught the tolls...

So we hammered our way east on 89...through some of the 'shovel ready' one lane construction areas, and ran right to the end and onto 3a south. Normal traffic...normal speed. But better, I'm sure, than trying to wrestle with 93 from Concord South.

At Hookeset we jumped on 93 and with Mark and someone else in tow, made the right bend toward the Mall and Brown ave. And a trooper in the middle with a Laser gun. Tag..I'm it...waved to the median.

After a pleasant discussion where I shared my earlier experience he asked to see my other ticket. "Ah, Trooper Michael ANJER."
    "Oh, I said. I thought it was ANGER."
    "Nope, it's French and pronounced 'Anjer'! And I don't think its fair to give you 2 tickets in one day. I ride, so I sympathesize! Take it easy and have a good one!"
    "Wow. Thanks! What do you ride?"
    "You don't want to know." he replied.
    "Hah...its a Gixxex isn't it?" I said
    He laughed and waved me on my way!

Arrived home to see Mark waiting for me. Thanks bud!

And arrived home with 2 minutes to spare before my scheduled 6:00 departure with wife and friends to Manchester Fire works. Change quickly, picked 'em up, and got to Arms Park in plenty of time to secure our preferred spot and stuff myself with a cheese-steak and garlic fries!

Great fireworks...great day!

Thanks all....and, sorry about dumping everyone of 100 miles from start. The delays earlier put me up against a hard stop!

Oh...and for me, the moment of the day!

(Thanks Keith..and yeah, I would love to rock your Hyper sometime. Maybe some Tuesday to Lowell?)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 07-06-09 at 06:26 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: 2009 Curtis Ribs Ride Report

I had just gassed up at the 89 Exit 1 Mobil in VT and saw a bunch of you roll onto 89 S.

Looks like you had quite a group.

TIMMYDUCK

Great writeup! I'm sorry we broke off at lunch, I love Quechee Gorge....there's a deli there that makes a mean egg salad sandwich Glad to hear the guy on the Streetfighter made it home ok...and I hope he's feeling a bit better today. I think he might have been a bit dazed....

Oh, and the little old lady was 86, riding a Honda and her name was Vivian She was awesome!!!

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Great writeup! I'm sorry we broke off at lunch, I love Quechee Gorge....there's a deli there that makes a mean egg salad sandwich Glad to hear the guy on the Streetfighter made it home ok...and I hope he's feeling a bit better today. I think he might have been a bit dazed....

Oh, and the little old lady was 86, riding a Honda and her name was Vivian She was awesome!!!
    Hah...86! Man, that WAS awesome! (Think she's on NESR?!!?)

Great to finally meet you and your Man God! I'll look for you in the corners when I'm at the track! (Oh...awesome job getting to Seacoast early! Grazie!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Glad I could make the day for ya Dave

I'm so happy we decided to go, although I'm paying for it today, it was soooo worth it.

Live life to its fullest, you never know when you'll get a second chance.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    With the whole group together I explained that, because of time constraints, I would be slabbing my way home on 89. 5 or 6 other folks joined me and I think several others planned to explore more of the sweetness of eastern Vermont and Western NH. Lets hear about it!!!
    My ride back from the gorge involved a couple of turnarounds as GPS sometimes shows goat paths as roads Once I got straightened out I settled on 4 east to 5 south and then hoped over the river to 12A/12. Another dirt road adventure ensued where I finally decided to hang up the "road less traveled" adventure. As it was the GPS said I wouldn't get home till 9:00 and that was via main roads. So I got back on 12 and took it to 63 into Hinsdale. A left onto 119 headed towards 202. From there it was back on to 12 to 140 to 2 as the roads got more highway than byway. I passed one LEO who was prolly aiming for the dirt bike continegent leaving Pisgah State forest, otherwise it was smooth sailing.
    Mike944

Mornin' all,
    Good to meet you Dave, Adam(sv650), and the guy with the zx14(silver I think)! Also good to see Ned again and shoot the shit under better circumstances than last time......
    I hung at Curtis' for half an hour or so and decided I need to ride more than eat so I bailed. Took Rt's 5,12,4,107,100,17, and made a couple passes on T**** Rd to boot. Going over Rt. 17 on the way home I might have seen Mark on his Triumph but not sure.....
    The first real ride on my TL1000s was pretty good. Quite a lot different than the ZRX1200r I'd been riding for the last bunch years, no shit.... All in all I got an even 400 miles in in about 9 hours and called it a good day! Regards, Jake

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Thanks Dave for a great day. I was in the last group with you going down 89 and thought that you were going to have the second of 3 traffic stops when we came over a crest to find two troupers with a laser gun in the breakdown lane! I split off from you at 93/293 in manchester and motored another 45 miles home to Rowley Ma. 333 miles and a great day for me.

"Convicted ?.... no never convicted"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edKptC3XkmU

Thanks for putting it together Dave. This was my first DucDave ride and it was certainly eventful! I'm sure I'll be along for more of them off your calendar. I'm glad the rest of the day went off without a hitch for everyone. I stayed at Curtis' with Rob and Keira and we headed north then over into NH. We hit some very nice roads with a couple of stops before getting the Rob's house. I continued on and took a long way home, avoiding all highways and traffic. I rolled into Dover at about 7:30pm.

It was great to meet some new people!

-Eric (FZ1)

-={FZ1inNH}=-
    2009 Yamaha FZ1

Thanks for putting this ride together and good to meet everyone! I had to cut away near Ascutney (to get home in time for a family picnic). Quechee is nice... sorry I couldn't stay for the rest of the ride.

LOL this doesn't compare to DucDave's last photo (Dayum!), but here's part of the group lining up in Putney:

2008 SV650n (gray) Sold April 2010

Dave, I really enjoyed the ride........ thanks for butterfly herding such a large group. Re: the ticket, I guess the "we are riding socially spirited today" line didn't work.

Met some cools folks like Ned, Terry, Evans, Mike, Clarence, and others ....... names escape me.

And RIP to that little chipmunk (while hanging out in the other lane minding his or her own business about 20 minutes north of Putney) that was flattened by Ella as she ripped by a few riders to get to the front of the pack. I guess he or she didn't expect the double yellow pass

Arg I totally forgot about this. I did ride to and from Woodstock back home earlier that morning though, so I was beat.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Posting Freak

next time you guys do this ride. Take a right on 9 instead of heading towards Keene.
    Pick up 123 again just up the road and take that over to VT. Much better than going 101

Post Re: 2009 Curtis Ribs Ride Report

nice!

and yea the 2nd statie prob rode a gsx-r.....

Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012

Has anyone heard from the guy who dropped the new streetfighter? Is he still OK, no ill after effects? And, what was the final damage report on his bike?

It was fun while it lasted.

-={FZ1inNH}=-
    2009 Yamaha FZ1

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Dave, as usual, a great ride. Love the pic w/ Alicia.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |