Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2013 Northern States / Canada trip

Lifer

2013 Northern States / Canada trip

After riding 5600 miles in 14 days from San Diego to Boston, I'm planning a shorter trip this year. It's basically a loop around the Great Lakes.

There are a couple of things I want to accomplish on the trip. First is a SS1000 ride on day 1 from Boston to Michigan. Second is to hit some states I have not ridden through, West Virginia, Wisconsin, North Dakota as well as the provinces of Manitoba, Ottawa and Quebec. I know it's geeky but I like those little maps with the states/provinces colored in.

Here is a picture of the basic route and the preliminary daily destinations and distances. Any and ll recommendation from folks who have been out that way are welcome.

2013 Northern States / Canada trip-trip-map-png

2013 Northern States / Canada trip-daily-png

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 08-09-13 at 11:17 AM.

Re: 2013 Northern States / Canada trip

Not sure how solid your route is, but you should try to hit the Boundary Waters in Minnesota if you can. Beautiful area. I've only been camping/fishing up there - never ridden through, but I can imagine it'd be beautiful. If you want any recommendations on the Twin Cities too, let me know!

Lifer

I am thinking about stopping in the twin cities area, a cool place to eat (not a chain) would be great.

I'll check out the boundary waters as well.

My plan is always flexible, after the first day, wandering around and having fun is the goal.

truncated phrase here trider143's Avatar

Visit the Turquoise waters reminiscent of the Carribean along the U.P. of Lake Michigan. 2013 Northern States / Canada trip-g0070327-jpg
    Consider going through Algonquin NP in Ontario.
    If you are in Minneapolis, stop in the Ducati dealer around lunchtime for pizza. Not that you will need service like I did
    Thunder Bay was highly recommended but I did not get there. I would make sure to keep that in your route plan.
    As for other parts of your route plan, my personal tastes say avoid Ohio and Chicago like the plague, but that is just me

I can send you lat/long of Algonquin and UP shore road if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I am thinking about stopping in the twin cities area, a cool place to eat (not a chain) would be great.

I'll check out the boundary waters as well.

My plan is always flexible, after the first day, wandering around and having fun is the goal.
    I'd check out Dinkytown (area near the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis). Lots of great places to eat. If you happen to be around for breakfast, check out Al's Breakfast. Unique little place built in a former alleyway, great food!

Lifer

Tomorrow at 3:00 AM, I depart on a 6 day solo motorcycle trip around the Great Lakes. On the first day, I'm attempting to earn a "SaddleSore 1000" by riding 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. It's a bucket list thing for me. After day 1, I hope to be covering another 2000 miles over the next 5 days in a loop that takes me west in the US and back east through Canada. I'll post updates along the way!

Have fun! Good luck on the SS.

Lifer

done!

well over 1000 miles in about 17 hours. Originally, I thought I was undertaking the "lack of prep" SS1000, but I actually felt
    I was plenty prepared. I packed enough water, Gatorade and snacks to avoid buying anything but gas along the way. I never felt rushed, nothing hurts and I'm not tired. Started at 3:18 AM and done about 8:30.

Having ridden my 2007 VFR 5600 miles in 14 days cross country last year, I have to say the F6B feels like cheating. All the seamless power anybody could want, dead nuts reliable, predictable, stable handling, music, heated grips and ergos that leave nothing sore at the end of a 17 hour day with 15 of those hours in the saddle moving.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I know this sort of thing doesn't get a lot of traction here, but the IBA just approved my ride documentation for an SS1000 on the first day of this ride.

While it's only an SS1000, it was a motorcycle bucket list item for me.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I know this sort of thing doesn't get a lot of traction here, but the IBA just approved my ride documentation for an SS1000 on the first day of this ride.

Thats a big accomplishment, Congrats! That is on my bucket list as well. If you could create a 24 hours of Loudon and get some of these guys to pony up 500-1000 miles on the track, that would be entertaining!

Congrats that's pretty sweet, ss1000.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Lifer

Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm hoping the weather will tolerate another quick run down south and back between the end of the semester and Christmas.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i did this with a my buddy/boss in Oct. i still havent submitted the paperwork yet. i should probably get on that

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Congrats! It's on my list as well. Cool trip and seems like a great way to do the SS1000!

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281