Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Appropriate Gear for a meet up n ride??

Appropriate Gear for a meet up n ride??

Forgive the noob question. But what is appropriate gear for one of the group rides I see the posts for. Jacket/Jeans, pants, 2pc, 1-pc?? How aggressive are your rides.

I'm just curious when you guys go out to go riding (as opposed to riding to the store), what do you wear?

I have a 1pc suit that I bought to do a track day last year, but I but it off figuring I just needed to get a little more seat time before i did the track day thing. I've been thinking about wearing it on the street when I go out riding for the day or afternoon since it's probably the safest thing I own. Or is it just completely overkill and making me look like a tool?

keep in mind I've only got 6k under my belt so I think I'm still a noob, and i'm not that overly aggressive, i.e not dragging the footpegs around corners just yet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Appropriate Gear for a meet up n ride??

You should always head out loaded up for bear... IE full gear head to toe. You might look like a power ranger and if anyone calls you a tool, well screw 'em. Tell them the leather is hotter, not so comfortable...but it's certainly a shit ton cheaper and more comfortable than skin grafts will ever be.

Look for easy rides. People usually mention the pace they'll tend to stick to. Nothing wrong with running your own pace in the rear, if it turns out to be faster than you wanted. Just don't bail without telling people first. If the person leading the ride is a good leader, you will not get lost or left behind.

Welcome to the forum!

public roads are made of the same painful asphalt as the racetrack. When I get shit about wearing full leathers on the street I shut them up by saying "the road doesn't care whether its a street or race track"

I wear my 1 piece on every ride.

I wear everything but leather pants which seems to be the most common thing, but If you have the full leathers then I say go for it.

-Jay-

2007 Ducati 1098S

Tougher than a lion Sportygurl131's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bostoniannu View Post
    Forgive the noob question. But what is appropriate gear for one of the group rides I see the posts for. Jacket/Jeans, pants, 2pc, 1-pc?? How aggressive are your rides.

I'm just curious when you guys go out to go riding (as opposed to riding to the store), what do you wear?

I have a 1pc suit that I bought to do a track day last year, but I but it off figuring I just needed to get a little more seat time before i did the track day thing. I've been thinking about wearing it on the street when I go out riding for the day or afternoon since it's probably the safest thing I own. Or is it just completely overkill and making me look like a tool?

keep in mind I've only got 6k under my belt so I think I'm still a noob, and i'm not that overly aggressive, i.e not dragging the footpegs around corners just yet.

ON MOST rides the leader requires at the minimum helmet, gloves, boots, jeans adn jacket...

you ride at your own pace... most rides are mixed with noobs to expierenced riders.
    in my experience in group rides.. there will be a slow med and fast group... but all groups meet up at stops, straight aways, intersections etc..

if your draggin knee on the roads in a group ride u belong on a track

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto
    Subaru love is so sweet.
    qoute from a fellow nesrian

You crazy bitch!!

2003 sv650s copper!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Sportygurl is probably your best bet for meeting and making new friends, she is like the social director or ambassador or something for NESR.

ATGATT - all the gear all the time

Welcome to the forum

Sam

The real question is: what are you wearing under your leathers?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

T-shirt, shorts and flip flops.

Who gives a shit what kinda gear you wear! Just make sure your 1st bike is at least a 600, better yet a 1000.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    The real question is: what are you wearing under your leathers?
    nothing is worn under mine. everything is in great, like new, condition....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

Wear want you feel you should wear, but the ride leader/organizer has the prerogative to specify a minimum gear level for a ride that he/she organized.

In case something happens, make sure someone on the ride knows where your cell phone/emergency contact information is.

One major difference between riding alone and group riding is that if you do something stupid when you're alone, you might screw up your day. In a group, you might screw up everybody's day, so be mindful of others.

Read this link...

The Pace

Last edited by SteveM; 03-29-10 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    T-shirt, shorts and flip flops.

Who gives a shit what kinda gear you wear! Just make sure your 1st bike is at least a 600, better yet a 1000.

What an asshole you are. You ever show up on one of my rides like that and I'll, how does it go?, "Punch you in the dick?"

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I'd say weather the leathers. skin is a fabulous thing!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Read this link...

The Pace
    thats a good read

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 03-29-10 at 07:41 AM.

Lifer

It's an oldie, but still really good. I'm sure it's floating around here, but I linked to the first place I found it.

Another good piece of advice is to remember that nobody ever ruined a group ride by taking it too easy (unless they insisted on being in the fast group).

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    nothing is worn under mine. everything is in great, like new, condition....
    Meeyow!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportygurl131 View Post
    if your draggin knee on the roads in a group ride u belong on a track
    I've heard that one before. Many times. And thanks for the reminder, my pucks are ground to nothing (planter, not a skimmer) and I need a new set. I can at least afford the pucks, can't quite afford the t-day. Yet

Ninja edit

Ride in what you want. Let those who ride decide. If I am putting on a ride I could care less in what you wear.

KB

Last edited by KB; 03-29-10 at 12:32 PM.
    LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Which oil do I need to run on said ride?

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Which oil do I need to run on said ride?

KB
    drain the crap in it, and top it off (yes, right up to the cap) with at least 80w-140 gear oil. That really stinky crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    I've heard that one before. Many times. And thanks for the reminder, my pucks are ground to nothing (planter, not a skimmer) and I need a new set. I can at least afford the pucks, can't quite afford the t-day. Yet

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    drain the crap in it, and top it off (yes, right up to the cap) with at least 80w-140 gear oil. That really stinky crap.
    No kidding? 80 - 140? I just called auto zone, pep boys, and almost every dealership in my area. I also googled, binged, and reached out to my face book and nothing about this oil. Is there a specific 80 - 140 forum you can link me to? It must be a so new blend that only those subcribed to www.80140.net know about.

Thanks for the info.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

it really depends who you're riding with & where you're going, and it's always good to ask prior to meeting up.

I've ridden with members here (outside of MA) that didnt wear a helmet. I've done some group rides with twisties & fast riding, and i've done group rides that were just out putting around.

Personally, I dont care what you wear if the ride is a slow paced casual ride. But if you're out looking for some fast corners, I would like to see you with a jacket & gloves on. The boots would be the rider's preference.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I showed up to a group ride last year as the only one in full leathers. I felt out of place, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I'm not truly comfortable unless I'm wearing my full leathers. Even Doc, the anti-squid, was only wearing his draggin' jeans. And I believe that was the ride that we had somebody go down. He wasn't seriously hurt, but the rash that he got on his knee wouldn't have happened with riding pants.

If somebody gives you crap or judges you for protecting yourself just tell them to go fuck themselves, that should solve the problem pretty quickly. Wearing "too much" gear doesn't hurt anybody, wearing too little can mess up everyone's day in short order. I say "too much" because there is no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    I showed up to a group ride last year as the only one in full leathers. I felt out of place, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I'm not truly comfortable unless I'm wearing my full leathers. Even Doc, the anti-squid, was only wearing his draggin' jeans. And I believe that was the ride that we had somebody go down. He wasn't seriously hurt, but the rash that he got on his knee wouldn't have happened with riding pants.

If somebody gives you crap or judges you for protecting yourself just tell them to go fuck themselves, that should solve the problem pretty quickly. Wearing "too much" gear doesn't hurt anybody, wearing too little can mess up everyone's day in short order. I say "too much" because there is no such thing.

...and Doc also STRESSED... NUMEROUS times to ride your own pace. I was not out to tear it up while leading a ride in Draggin Jeans, I was out to enjoy a ride with some peeps. I did not even break 50%

If I ride in leathers on the street i will be too tempted to get a knee down... but that is just me and I didn't want to portray that on our ride, Hence I wore the Draggin Jeans. (with knee armor I must point out)

Last edited by Doc; 03-29-10 at 02:36 PM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast