Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Berkshires Ride: Thursday, May 16th

Date: Thursday, May 16th
    Time: Meet at 9:00AM for breakfast at Bickfords, Rt. 2A/119, Acton, MA; Depart at 10AM from Motomarket.
    Destination: Berkshires
    Route: shhhh, it's a secret!
    Highlights: A pre-cursor to the Berkshires Overnight Trip next week.
    Weather: 76 degrees and mostly sunny skies. This will be the nicest day for riding within the next week, so play hookey and join in the fun.

Chuck
    '02 Ducati 998S Bostrom

[Edited on 5/15/02 by Chuck]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chuck,

I am so freakin tempted to go with you tomorrow. I went with Ninchoi and five others starting form Moto Market this past weekend up 119 across the state of Vt. then south back into Massoftwofucks to Rt 2 through N. Adams to Orange to 122/32 to Wachusett Mt. I went home from there. I live in Townsend and 2 minutes from 119. Wish you didn't do this post. Man I wanna fookin go. Whats the scoop with the overnighter next weekend? Give me some info dude.

Wayne

Argggg...already with the Hookey Rides??? And the summer's just begun...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

damn, and my company's taking us to see Ep. II today...

durn.
    hard life.

-t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

dude, i am a day late and dollar short... again.
    hopefully soon i will have time for hooky rides again.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

RIDE REPORT:

Arrived at Bickford's (Rt. 2A, Acton) at about 9:20AM. Alberto hadn't arrived yet, but another rider named Tim ?Gaughan was there with his yellow Monster S4. Although I've met Tim briefly before (F1 Boston club meeting) we reintroduced and proceeded to walk inside for breakfast. In pulled Alberto ('02 RC51) and Jim ('02 R1). We discussed the route and chatted with 2 Harley guys. We met Bill ('99 996) at MotoMarket and left at about 10:30AM.

Temps in the mid-upper 70s made for an awesome day of riding. Most of the day was done at a moderate sportriding pace. A few of our usual routes we shredded. Got permission to race in one town last week, so we are taking advantage of that. Went slow where we had to (towns, etc.), and started ripping pretty hard once we got to less populated roads. Had lunch in busy North Hampton. Moroccan food, yummy. Some of the babes looked pretty, umm, nevermind. One day Berkshire trips force you to take somewhat more direct routes than we all would have liked, but we opted for the twistiest roads we could find. Passed everything in sight. Triple digits and triple speed limits for some areas. Nearly got hit by a bird at 95-100mph, yikes!! Birds can really hit the reverse thrusters when they have to. It missed me literally by one inch and I had a clear view of it just in fornt of my left eye. No crashes, no tickets, life is good. Stopped for gas in Deerfield and said Hi to Ken Condon who was gassing up. Just then a cop pulled in (and Ken exited stage right -- wise move : ) ) We were questioned by a cop about passing on double yellows around a FedEx truck (it seems the rat pulled into the gas station and made a mad dash for the payphone to call the cops). First cop said the bikes were coming from a different direction than us. Another cop arrived and said they came from our direction. License check to make sure we all had "M" endorsements. Ummm, yes, occifer, I think shredding 116 at near 116 would perhaps require that one be somewhat familiar with the operation of a motorcycle. Especially the brakes!!! lol. Yeah, yeah, not politically correct to race the street, but hell, street, track what's the difference? don't answer. I know the risks, but there were no close calls and it's kinda the norm of riding now. Anyway, everything was cool. I didn't ask them for permission to race -- it's best if done prior to an incident. We putted slowly out of Dodge, err, Deerfield. Through Shutesbury (on a set of twisties that I call Negrete Pass after a really nice guy that had a bad crash there last year). Even Bill noticed my pace has been more conservative through there. No runoff, so you have to pick your places to rip carefully. Headed back to MM for Thrusday European Bike Night and chatted for a couple hours before heading home.

Well, that's the report. Tim, you got exposure to the street racing culture and I hope you had a good a time. I need new tires before next week's trip.

Chuck
    '02 Ducati 998S Bostrom

i started at 7:15 and got home at 9:00 mileage was 450 for the day.

we weren't there and didn't do anything wrong!

jim

"Molon labe"

Well, it sounds like you guys had fun!
    But, what the hell does this mean:
    Got permission to race in one town last week, so we are taking advantage of that

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

The day couldn't have been better for ripping through the Berkshires. The roads were fantantic. I thought for a second to play a trick with the Deerfield cops, telling one that we came from the other direction and the second one that we came from the opposite direction and let them figure it out, but I decided not to stir things up. They had no clue what we were doing. Thanks to Chuck, who always sounds convincing whether he is telling the biggest b.s. or not, the cops went on their way.

Like Jim said, it was a loooong day but well worth it. We have to do it again!! My throat was so dry after breathing Bill's exhaust fumes all day long. He runs that 996 way too rich.

Alberto
    '02 RC51

Well, it sounds like you guys had fun!
    But, what the hell does this mean:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got permission to race in one town last week, so we are taking advantage of that
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just what it says Chris...PERMISSION TO RACE. Although many police officers can be less than kind when enforcing the speed limits, some are so overwhelmed by sportbikes (especially Ducati's), not to mention my charm LMAO that they actually do give permission to exceed the posted speed limits. So far I have gotten permission to race in 3 towns and let me tell you, it's the fucking balls. Absolutely no fear of a ticket and ripping tear ass. True street racing like the Isle of Man. The only down side is that you really burn through tires. Disclaimer: I do not advocate exceeding the speed limit and as Craig would say we try to adhere to all posted speed limits at all times. YEAH RIGHT!!!

Chuck
    '02 Duc 998S Bostrom
    "Tom bodett leaves the light on for ya at Motel 6; I'll warm the street up for ya".

Re: Berkshires Ride: Thursday, May 16th

10 year PERMISSION TO RACE reunion ride?

jim

"Molon labe"

Re: Berkshires Ride: Thursday, May 16th

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    10 year PERMISSION TO RACE reunion ride?
    I'm not sure how amenable the police are to letting us race the streets now. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks when my Ducati 1199 Panigale arrives. It never hurts to ask though...lol. Loved those hookey rides and that Berkshires ride was epic. Doesn't seem like 10 years ago though. As they say, time flies.

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - lemon - repurchased by Ducati
    2002 Ducati 998S Bostrom - sold