Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Covered Bridges Ride Pics....

Covered Bridges Ride Pics....

As we began gathering at Seacoast Sunday morning the temperature was hovering just above freezing. Someone described this last Seacoast Ride of the season as a 'hardcore' event. It was fantastic to see that there were 20 hardcore riders in a wide array of gear...from heated everything to the 6 layer Michelin Man look! Most of the folks gathered were veterans of these rides but we welcomed a couple new folks, Robin on a Shivver and Daniel on a Tuono! Great having you with us!

Although 20 gathered originally, we lost 4 before we ever departed. One to a 'fairing' issue and another as his friend dropped too; one to an electical problem with heated gear; and Vicki must have decided that if she couldn't feel her fingers and hadn't even left the parking lot, that it was probably better that she head home and thaw out!

So 16 finally left Seacoast and 2 miles out were passed by a ZX1400 going the other way. He indicated he was with us so I pulled the group over at a light. He quickly rode up to me and told me he was with another rider on a Ducati 916? who was being given a 'performance citation' just over the hill. Apparently his bike was reluctant to start and they got a late start...

...oh, and they needed gas.

So I sent them along and all of us pulled in to the Mobil at the Derry Circle just as they were topping off. I formed the group up again and watched as they tried 'bump' starting the Duc.

Bill, on his black Strada, did a great job riding sweep! Its an unbelievable help to have a good sweep...especially one who has the route in his Garmin so he can always find us!! Thanks Bill!

Anyway, after they couldnt start the Duc they said to go and Bill waved me on and we finally left for real!

On into Goffstown where we picked up Chris on his ST3.

After one detour due to a 'bridge out' we came pulled into Hancock where we stopped at Fiddleheads Cafe for coffee. There we bumped into half a dozen riders from the FJR Forum. A couple recognized us from a previous ride with Skip W!

After a draining earlier coffee and refilling with fresh, we remounted and headed out in search of covered bridges!

The route I was following was last years route led by Skip which I captured as 'breadcrumbs' on my ZUMO. Somehow one little section was changed or missing. I suspect it was in Jaffrey where we were forced into another short Detour. As a result, by the time we were northwest of Keene, we had only been through one covered bridge. But we were chilled and hungry so we stopped at Stuart and Johns Pancake House, (Stuart & John's Sugar House, Westmoreland, NH ·Maple Syrup ·Ice Cream ·Pancakes), in Westmoreland.

This place was great! The Lumberjack Breakfast - eggs, pancakes, meat, toast and home frieds - $8.99!

Warmed and stuffed, two of our Beemer friends left to visit a friend nearby and the rest refueled up the road and then turned north and east in search of more bridges and a Trebuchet.

By now I was worried that I would have to change the name of this ride to the 'Covered BRIDGE and Trebuchet Ride'. But the weather had warmed to tolerable, the color was at peak in lots of places, the views beautiful, pace pleasant, and the riders competent, funny, friendly and tolerant!

At last, we passed through a second Covered Bridge so the name sticks.

Another 20 miles of really fine roads and we arrived at the Trebuchet in Greefield. As someone said, watching these pumpkins get launched the length of 6 football fields never gets old! If you haven't seen this I think that next weekend will be your last chance this year! I have been 6 or more times and I still feel like a little child at the wonder of it all and watching and listening to everyone else share the feeling is a unique experience in a world that is hard and jaded.

So ended the ride...and the season! The last ride of the season was perfect! No crashes and no tickets. (And no frostbite!) Smiles all around and memories to recall as the snow piles up!

Thanks to everyone all year who made these rides the great events they were! How lucky I am to know so many who share my passion!

Thanks too to Seacoast for their hospitality. These folks stepped up and provided coffee and donuts...and opened their store for those who needed last second gear...on their day off. Mille grazie!

And thanks to the folks who rode sweep for me. Bruce, Mike, Bill, Skip...and anyone I may have missed!

Stay safe the rest of the season...see you next year!

Dave

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 10-20-08 at 06:21 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Covered Bridges Ride Pics....

Nice report, Dave.

Great ride Dave. Maybe next year the weather will be a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by TuonoMark View Post
    Great ride Dave. Maybe next year the weather will be a little warmer.
    Its funny what changes happen in one week.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Sorry I missed this one Dave.

Great pics Dave! Michelin man look worked great. Who needs heated gear

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Posting Freak

Glad you guys had fun. Way too cold for me get going Sunday morning.
    I live about 15 minutes from that Trebuchet and you're right, it never gets old.

Saw you guys at the Trebuchet event on Sunday. It seems every time I'm there with the car and the family there are 20-30 bikes making me jealous of the ride. Our 20 month old made sure to point out every motorcycle to me, as if I hadn't noticed.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128