Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay....

Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay....

Anyone been?

Comments? Suggestions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Re: Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay....

Some day I will do a few of these trips. with Motoquest
    http://www.motoquest.com/guided-moto...enture-tour-28

Last edited by nt650hawk; 01-31-14 at 07:49 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I kinda was, for maybe 5 minutes sitting on the tarmac... plane stopped at Prudhoe on the way to Barrow...

I'm not sure how similar Barrow is to Prudhoe, but Barrow was certainly an interesting place to visit.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Yep been all through the area on bike.... best time to be up that way is late summer early fall - like September...
    early (august) too much rain, summer to many bugs.... timing to be there after first freeze.... still 50of and longish days....but it switches to less sunlight quick
    The road in rain is murder.... the big rigs have right of way on this private road.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10359...69456216479200

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Anyone been?

Comments? Suggestions?
    haven't been yet, I have ridden the route on Google Earth/Map several times

Are you planning a round trip from here ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Yeah Pete...using them...thanks to Ken and Jeannine!

And yeah Graham...going in August. I'm kinda torn about actually going through the effort to get to Deadhorse and tour Prudhoe. Have to reserve months in advance and get clearance from Homeland Security. Not sure that the 6 days up and back from Fairbanks might not be better spent elsewhere. Either way, we'll definately get to the Arctic Circle...! Your thoughts?

No Randy...not round trip from here...even though I am retired, my part time job and full time wife won't let me have that kind of time. Anyway, I did a 6300 mile ride last summer that included 2/3 of the states...!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

And yeah Graham...going in August. I'm kinda torn about actually going through the effort to get to Deadhorse and tour Prudhoe. Have to reserve months in advance and get clearance from Homeland Security. Not sure that the 6 days up and back from Fairbanks might not be better spent elsewhere. Either way, we'll definately get to the Arctic Circle...! Your thoughts?
    ...!
    I assume you will be on a dual sport type of bike...some of the dirt roads will be impassable in the wet on a sport bike. And assume it will be wet.
    You can of course ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks and down to Valdez and back to Anchorage on paved roads.

There is nothing to really see at Deadhorse/Prudhoe... it is a working oil drilling/pumping camp owned jointly by a number of Oil companies.
    No real tours. But to stay there you have to attend an orientation meeting... more a song and dance on why they are so environmentally friendly etc. (PR).
    The last +100 miles to Deadhorse is flat (use to be an ocean bed)... not so interesting.
    Of course there's value in saying you have been to the Arctic Ocean and maybe jumped in etc.

If you go as far as the Arctic Circle I would press on to Coldfoot (245 miles short of Deadhorse) and maybe go up an over Antigen pass and back.
    Off the dirt Haul road, another 75 mile dirt road leads to Manly Springs which is also worth an overnight stop - great accommodations and area

One of the best passes in just 80 miles from Anchorage, Hatchers pass (again all dirt) is amazing as long as it's not clouded in. If socked in on the way North try it on the way back down.

Forget Denali… a tourist trap on the main Anchorage/Fairbanks road. No private vehicles are allowed into the park. The dirt road from Denali down to the Fairbanks-Valdez road is a pretty amazing area

Lets see if this link works to the slideshow of my trip in Alaska.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...69456216479200

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Lifer

Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed watching it! Epic.

thanks. comments with the images I believe appear in the top right corner...

Graham

Lifer

Yeah. I skipped through half the slides before I noticed them. Had to start over.

OK. Just. Wow.

Thanks for the pics Graham. I really want to do an Alaska trip at some point. The pics literally gave me goosebumps.

Dave... I can't help you at all, but am extremely envious.

Wow, brings back the memories! My wife and I drove from VT to Fairbanks on our honeymoon. We were headed up the haul road but it was closed for a day due to a truck wreck. Between that and the rain we decided to ditch the Arctic circle plan and ended up going south to Homer. Best halibut I've ever eaten!! I think it's almost time to bring my kids there. It's the most grand place I've ever been.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Graham...thanks a ton for this. Helping me sort out my plans!

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    I assume you will be on a dual sport type of bike...some of the dirt roads will be impassable in the wet on a sport bike. And assume it will be wet.
    You can of course ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks and down to Valdez and back to Anchorage on paved roads.

YEP - KLR650 from MotoQuest.

There is nothing to really see at Deadhorse/Prudhoe... it is a working oil drilling/pumping camp owned jointly by a number of Oil companies.
    No real tours. But to stay there you have to attend an orientation meeting... more a song and dance on why they are so environmentally friendly etc. (PR).
    The last +100 miles to Deadhorse is flat (use to be an ocean bed)... not so interesting.
    Of course there's value in saying you have been to the Arctic Ocean and maybe jumped in etc.

Yeah, the complication of booking the Prudhoe Bay tour months in advance and being vetted by Homeland Security and the 'Industrial' quality of Deadhorse...along with the fact that it will be 4 of us, no support truck, limited experience changing tires, and minimal dirt experience makes the last leg from Coldfoot less desirable. I'm past the point where I do stuff just so I can say 'I did it...' (Having said that, the Arctic Circle is a definate...so, at least I can say "I did that..."!)

If you go as far as the Arctic Circle I would press on to Coldfoot (245 miles short of Deadhorse) and maybe go up an over Antigen pass and back.
    Off the dirt Haul road, another 75 mile dirt road leads to Manly Springs which is also worth an overnight stop - great accommodations and area

Great suggestion...will definately keep this high on the list!

One of the best passes in just 80 miles from Anchorage, Hatchers pass (again all dirt) is amazing as long as it's not clouded in. If socked in on the way North try it on the way back down.

Forget Denali… a tourist trap on the main Anchorage/Fairbanks road. No private vehicles are allowed into the park. The dirt road from Denali down to the Fairbanks-Valdez road is a pretty amazing area

I did Denali 2 years ago. Took the 9 hour bus tour into the park and gotta say, we saw a lot of great wildlife. You name it, we probably saw it. And most of it was close enough that you didn't need binoculars to appreaciate it. But no need to do that again!

Lets see if this link works to the slideshow of my trip in Alaska.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...69456216479200
    Great Pics Graham.

Response in kind, here is a link to my ride last summer from Denver, to Moab, Flaming Gorge, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, then up to Jasper and back down the Ice Fields Parkway to Banff. Then east to Deadwood, Sturgis, Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Finally, through South Dakota up to Minneapolis, Eau Claire Wisc., the UP, Sault St Marie, Ottowa and home!!!

Thanks again...!!!

Last edited by DucDave; 02-01-14 at 09:21 PM.
    Muhammad Ali.

If you feel like a shorter adventure with a scenic ending head out to McCarthy/Kennicott. It's a 60 mile dirt road into the middle of our largest and least visited national park. In my mind it's the most "real" part of Alaska you can visit by auto. No cruises or busses visit there. Of course I'm biased as I lived there for two years but I travelled almost all the roads on mainland Alaska and it was by far my favorite place. There are some awesome day hikes out of there to abandoned copper and gold mines that will blow your mind.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Update - Talked to Matt at Deadhorse Camp. We can make reservations NOW and they handle the reservations for the 'Prudhoe Bay Arctic Tour'. All that's required are our drivers license numbers. AND, cancellation policy is 3 days! This leg looks like it's gonna happen unless we run into a lot of rain as we prepare to take off from Anchorage!!! I'm psyched!

Muhammad Ali.

Excellent! there is value in saying you made it to the Artic ocean.
    even if the upper reaches of the Haul road are muddy (Coldfoot to Prudhoe bay) it will just take a whole day <12 hours> a couple of tip overs, rather than 5 hours :-). I used a whole tank plus a gallon <container strapped on bike> to get from the camp at Coldfoot to Prudhoe,
    In 2007 they were very busy paving sections of the Haul road - I wonder how much they have done?

Graham

Graham and John...here's the current plan. Added Kennicott/McCarthy and also a Ferry from Valdez to Whittier! Thinking this will be pretty awesome, though less some of the outrageous off roading you did Graham!!

http://goo.gl/maps/O6un2

Last edited by DucDave; 02-13-14 at 04:31 PM.
    Muhammad Ali.

It's hard to figure outwhere your stopping over...some of the camps range from **** luxury to sitting in a converted shipping container :-)

Graham

ps Don't worry there will be down time ro explore some mining roads

Graham