Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Deals Gap 2013

Lifer

Re: Deals Gap 2013

No. Not ready.

Tires are here, need to put those on. Got a call that the new stator is done (pickup this afternoon), need to re-install that. And she needs an oil & filter change.

New chain is here. But no sprockets. I may tempt fate and just use the old sprokets (they are in great shape).

Clayton, you have a chain rivet tool, right? I think Stonky has one and offered it up to me, and he's way more local.

And just to keep things interesting, I've decided to challenge myself by tearing down and rebuilding the forks on the SV track-toy between now and Friday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sprockets are cheap. I'd get new ones. Forget about the front rubber mounted one, not necessary.

If it makes it easier, I have a brandy new +1 front sprocket still in the bag. Just bring your bike, your new chain and a new rear to Deal's, we'll swap it Saturday night once we get there. Not a good day to ride anyways, we'll be running on little sleep and it'll give us something to do other than just drink beer. I can bring my rivet tool, it's a nice motion pro one.

I've done a chain swap at Deal's before. In fact, most of my tire changes until recently happened there. Wheeler's is on the way to the gap and swaps tires cheap and fast. Good guy!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Bah. Fine. Just ordered some cheapass sprockets.

My goal is to have the bike ready to rock before leaving. The idea of needing to do work to it down there does not appeal. More tools and crap to bring. More things to go wrong. Yeah, yeah, this is 'easy'. But it never works out that way. Luck of the irish or some such.

What do you need me to bring? Food. Tools.

Looks like it's a no-go on a nice new loaner Tundra for the trip, they won't be ready to replace my frame for another 2 and a half weeks. Oh well.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

What dealer? If the frame failed inspection, they are not supposed to let you take it as it's deemed unsafe to drive. Toyota pays for them to give you a loaner for up to 60 days while they wait for parts and to do the work.

It was just the rear crossmember. They really had to hack at it to get through as I requested them to do. It was either going to fail now, or in a few months. Rather have them do it now either way.

Toyota of Keene

Yeah, a loaner, but Toyota will only pay for a car, not a truck, as the server manager explained to me on the phone. $15/day charge if I want my truck replaced with a truck loaner, which I think is bullshit but whatever.

Baker, you should call me tonight. I'll PM you my number. We have some options that may allow you to go if you still have the time off.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Ordered a new chain and rear sprocket for the Wee today. Starting to get a bit noisy, figured it's due. Something like 26k on the bike now and it was run bone dry before I got it at 19k. I'll either toss it on Tuesday night when it comes in or just take it with me and swap it during some downtime at Deal's. May also need to get a set of rear brake pads, from the outside it looks pretty thin.

At least the SV is ready!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Yeah. I am at like 27k and my chain isn't quite 100% done, but is as you describe.
    Sprockets arrived today. I borrowed a rivet tool from Stonky.
    By Monday I intend to have this thing road-worthy again.

Lifer

Well dude... I now have a new chain, new sprockets (+1 up front), new oil, new filter, and new tires front and back. Found out that my nice new Pit Bull triple stand doesn't work for crap swapping V-Strom tires; it doesn't lift the front high enough to get the wheel out from under the big fender. After that and three or four other custerfucks, I think the thing is back together. I think I have a slow oil leak from the clutch actuator. But I'm going to Harley it and pack a quart for the week.

New stator seems to be holding up. Solid ~14V right off idle.

I will plan to commute at least once this week to make sure nothing important falls off.

Let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    It was just the rear crossmember. They really had to hack at it to get through as I requested them to do. It was either going to fail now, or in a few months. Rather have them do it now either way.

Toyota of Keene

Yeah, a loaner, but Toyota will only pay for a car, not a truck, as the server manager explained to me on the phone. $15/day charge if I want my truck replaced with a truck loaner, which I think is bullshit but whatever.

Ford told me same thing when my Winstar didn't pass rear axle inspection. I could have is repaired and in meantime, drive a Focus to replace a commercial cargo mini van, the buyback option was a no brainer

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Trailer is all setup with three chocks and I even made a rear gate that doubles as a ramp. Sweet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

New light put on the trailer, bearing buddies installed and greased, new sprockets and chain put on the Wee.

Now I need to start packing.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Same. I even did laundry last night.

Jason hooked me up with his Sena intercom device for the week. I wired it into the helmet this AM.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Be careful guys. Rumor has it that Rick (Yellow Wolf) is leading a crew around the area this week as well.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...er-secret-ride

Lifer

The mexican food here is good.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Be careful guys. Rumor has it that Rick (Yellow Wolf) is leading a crew around the area this week as well.
    I think I saw him just as we were leaving 'the gap' this morning headed to the Fontana dam. Big, bright yellow GL1800, followed by a couple other wings, followed by some misc other machinery, mostly Honda cruiser or tour/cruisers. I waived.

Clayton is a lovely tour guide. Although we were forced to detour to civilization to find him some my-little-pony underoos. But we got some all-you-can-eat pizza buffet out of the deal. So all is not lost.

So far, this place agrees with me.

Lifer

The "Dragon" is okay. But Cherohala Skyway is where it's at. Wholey monkey nuts that road is awesome.

Quick FYI: You cannot purchase beer after 6 (even barely after 6) on a Sunday in Tellico Plains, TN. But you can at the place "just o'er there outside-a town, past the new build'n the tawhn built last faaahl."

Lifer

Devil's Triangle in TN today. Shoulder? What shoulder? We don't need not stinkin' shoulders!

Notice that getting to TN requires running the gap... then again on the way home.

This place just sucks!

I recommend Tatham Gap Road (the gravel dragon) if your up for adventure, or Beaver Creek Road if you can find it

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

We think Tatham Gap is closed. (Source) I hope to head up there anyway and verify in person. But we are holding off as we have a full on sport bike in the mix and are having a fine time riding hard-top all together.

Last night we did the Joyce Kilmer, which I want to call the Val Kilmer. Which is a neat road.

FSR423 (Tatham Gap) - Approximately 3.3 miles will be closed to all forms of traffic beginning approximately 0.6 miles beyond the intersection between FSR 423 and State Route (SR) 1391 extending to a temporary gate installed at the intersection of FSR 423 and FSR 423B just below the south side of Tatham Gap. Due to existing and imminent road failures, this segment is closed to all forms of use including foot, horse, motorized and non-motorized traffic until it is determined that the roadbed has stabilized sufficiently to allow safe use by the public.
    sounds like the landslide section along with other problems, last time I was on it, the landslide section was barely wide enuf for a 4 wheel vehicle with a 1000 foot drop of on the downhill side

there is also a gravel road that roughly parallels the Cherohala, starts at the intersection of Joyce Kilmer & Cherohala, crosses the Cherohala near the NC/TN line then connects to River Road back out to Cherohala

Beaver Creek Road goes from Snowbird to Andrews, but it easy to miss, looks like your turning into someones driveway

Last edited by RandyO; 09-24-13 at 08:15 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Randy. How do those roads compare to some of the fire-roads in NH you've directed me to in the past; Jefferson Notch, Sandwich Notch, etc?

My V-Strom is setup for 98% street duty these days (sport-touring road tires). But it does fine on Sandwich Notch. I'd love to pick through something like that while down here.

We did 441 through the National Park today. That was neat, but also very popular with the slowbies. And the speed limit is a real drag. Still, nice to slow it down and just cruise now and then.

I would rate them better surface than Sandwich Notch Road, about the same as Jefferson Notch Road or Cherry Mountain Road, but steeper grades in places and tighter turns

another fun forest road iirc is Route 1001 off Wayah Road

Last edited by RandyO; 09-24-13 at 06:59 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    there is also a gravel road that roughly parallels the Cherohala, starts at the intersection of Joyce Kilmer & Cherohala, crosses the Cherohala near the NC/TN line then connects to River Road back out to Cherohala
    It's raining here today. So I am going to shoot for this today. Hopefully the road surface works for me. We ran into some riders from Florida last night that claim there is a helluva waterfall worth checking out off of this road. Clayton says Oxx did this on his 'tard.. at night.

Thanks again Randy.

Lifer

Deals Gap 2013-vlcsnap-2013-09-25-20h02m24s201
    Deals Gap 2013-vlcsnap-2013-09-25-20h03m48s89
    Deals Gap 2013-vlcsnap-2013-09-25-20h05m13s178
    Deals Gap 2013-vlcsnap-2013-09-25-20h06m13s103

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast