Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Deals Gap 2015

Re: Deals Gap 2015

Quote Originally Posted by lopycam View Post
    Dont forget the shake siphon........ I have a motard and I always need fuel........

I will be the minimalist of the group. I have a tank bag if someone wants to borrow it. It won't work on a dirtbike fyi.
    Good call, I'll pack it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

For you two new guys:

Setting expectations is important. Alex, I've ridden on track with you so I know your skills, Matt, never ridden with you before.

This place is REALLY technical. Very easy to let the group ride mentality get to you. I don't have many rules/recommendations, but the ones I do have are important. Mike and I have been doing this a long time. These are for the benefit of everyone. We've been really lucky/smart-enough to have all our weeks down there end well for everyone.

1. Ride your OWN ride. Don't try to keep up or show off. You'll get faster each day down there naturally. Don't force it.

2. It's not a track. There are no run-offs or airfence. Keep 15% in reserve. You WILL need it, be it that oncoming car in your lane through the blind corner, the dog in the road, the gravel or the meth head. You'll soon realize that your 85% riding is exhausting and more fun than you'll ever find on the street in NE.

3. If you can't keep up with the guy in front of you, don't worry. Keep going at your pace until you catch up. We stop at every turn to wait for the person behind to see which way we go. Do the same for the guy behind you. Waiting for 10-20 seconds is not something any of us mind. Waiting 3 hours for a tow truck to come pull your bike out of a ditch is something we all mind. Ride your own pace, enjoy it, and wait for the guy behind you at the next turn. This isn't a parade. Spread out in corners. If the guy in front of you is slower than you, pass him courteously. If the guy behind you is riding your ass, wave him by on a straight. Super simple stuff.

4. If the guy behind you never shows up at a turn or you haven't seen him in a while, wait. Eventually the ride leader will have nobody behind him. HE will turn around. With 4-6 people, even someone stopping to wash their face shield for a few seconds can turn into a clusterfuck of bikes riding in the wrong direction if people randomly turn around to find the guy behind him. If the ride leader doubles back, wait until he goes by an follow him back. Keeping everyone doing the same thing means nobody ever gets lost and nobody is ever unaccounted for. Easy.

5. Want to stop? Tell the guy in front and behind you via the universal pointing at the side of the road. Or moon him. Or put up an upside down american flag. Whatever, just make sure people know. Then we all know and don't think you just binned it in a corner. With the Sena's, this shouldn't be an issue. Want to split off? Fine, just as long as someone in the rest of the group knows where you are going.

6. Need gas? Speak up BEFORE it becomes an issue. If you have 100 miles of range, that's more than enough. We gas up frequently. Nobody minds stopping for gas. People do mind having to push a bike.

7. Passing: We do it, even on the double yellow. Don't be a dick about it, keep the revs/sound down. Most of the locals wave you by pretty quickly. Be patient, give them some time to get to a straight or turn-off if they don't wave you by right away. Wait for your chance to pass, don't feel the need to hurry a pass just to stay with the group.

8. Saturday when we arrive: riding is a no-no. In town to get dinner? Sure. Up to the Dragon to check out the scene? Fine. Rip some twisties? No. Long drive means you are mentally drained. Saturday night means lots of tourists and idiots. Save it for the rest of the week. There is PLENTY of time for riding. You'll get your fill without an issue.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post
    Sure, whatever works. Here's a pic of my trailer if it helps. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...iler-sale.html
    aaah, my sweet old child who I sold into prostitution!

Have fun guys! Be safe.

Clayton, l like your rules. Well thought out. I don't usually ride in groups because it easily becomes a cluster fuck. I know my wife can keep up with me 95% of the time and has the sense to know when to hang back. I can't say the same for some of my friends. Wife and l will be heading down next year, we have to sit this year out.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Clayton, I need gas............ just saying...........

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well put Clay! I have nothing to add for that, except I can't wait for some real sweet tea and BBQ!!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Nate, I'll get you info later this morning.

Btw, we are now 6!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

So, total cost came out to be $135 a person for the WEEK. Yeah, the whole week. Damn that's cheap.

For those of you that paid more than that, I'll refund the difference as soon as we get back. I fronted the $500 security deposit myself, so once I get that back after we return (and hopefully we don't destroy the house so we actually get it back), I'll paypal it over to you guys. Fair?

If you aren't OK with that, I can probably give you cash on the trip as long as Nate pays his share to me via cash.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

More info/tidbits because I'd rather think about this trip than do work:

I just realized that since it's 6 of us going, the two rookies will be riding down together. I'd recommend you guys caravan with Chris and Mike or Me and Nate. A few spots on the journey are a little confusing, especially through Ashville. Take the Tappanzee across the Hudson. Do NOT take 95. Bad idea.

I'm also a bit disappointed that I won't be able to see your reactions to the roads down there as we pull into town That's always a favorite part of mine.

I've always talked about how tight and twisty it is the whole ride down. Arrive in town and newbs still say things like "Seriously? What the fuck....." or "You gotta be kidding me" once we start getting into the moderately tight roads. Love it.

For the trip, bring a 5 Hour Energy and some snacks/water. Really does help. I'd avoid coffee/big energy drinks. You'll be pissing more than driving. Bring a pillow to crash out when it's not your turn. Sweater for when it gets cool at 4am. Ear plugs to drown out the driver in your vehicle saying "MAN that are some big churches down here!" over and over again. I like to keep my toiletries in the cab easily accessible for that 5am pit stop when you REALLY could use a hit of the toothbrush and a quick face wash. Things feel funky after 16 hours in a vehicle. And the two words that saved all of humanity: wet wipes.

Here is the planned route from Worcester:

https://goo.gl/maps/N2ZgY

Remember, NO radar detectors allowed in VA. Just leave it unplugged and use Waze. It has at least 80% of the cops on it. Also keep in mind that anything 10 over or more is a summons to appear in court in VA. Pay attention to the big rigs, they know when to rip and when to cool it.

Last edited by TheIglu; 06-17-15 at 08:47 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I read a story about about a guy getting 3 days in jail for speeding in Virginia!

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Should I record Chris's reaction when we hit rt28, & 129 for group enjoyment later?

Fair warning, when curve signs give you a speed limit. I highly advise you stick to that posted limit or 5 below! They are not being over cautious. You'll see!!

After this trip riding in New England will SUCK. I KID YOU NOT!

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post
    Should I record Chris's reaction when we hit rt28, & 129 for group enjoyment later?

Fair warning, when curve signs give you a speed limit. I highly advise you stick to that posted limit or 5 below! They are not being over cautious. You'll see!!

After this trip riding in New England will SUCK. I KID YOU NOT!

Chris has been there more times than you have in the last 3 years

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Oh, then we should do a driver swap so someone witnesses that!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Mike/Chris, what time do you plan on leaving Worcester area? I'm probably 1.5hrs from Worcester and I can arrange to leave my house such that we head down together.

If we all can get to the southern CT area around the same time, we can hit up the Blue Colony diner for dinner. Place is SOLID. I even ate Thanksgiving Dinner there one year. Pies, oh the pies.

Blue Colony Diner

Or we can meet up somewhere quicker, like the White Castle right over the Tappan Zee. Both are open 24/7. Then we can make a train of slow vehicles with fun toys on trailers all the way down to NC.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

No idea, waiting for Chris to chime in.

I will pass on White Castle...

www.tailofthedragon.com

I just picked up some maps for NC, SC, TN, GA

Ok, Ox.

"Burger. Meat, cheese and a bun. NO VEGGIES. NONE."

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I get home from work around 5, so I can leave any time after 6.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chris you tell me if it's easier to come get me or I'll go to you? I have a nice big driveway to drive in and around. I will have everything ready to toss into the truck, just need to tie the Ape down and go.

I have a few size coolers to pick from to bring for the ride.

Should I or someone else bring a set of ramps in case of hauling a bike without taking a trailer, (for maintenance reasons only of coarse!)
    I have 2 aluminum folding ramps I could bring if needed.

If need be I can load it in my truck and head over to you?

You tell me what time and where.

www.tailofthedragon.com

I guess I'm planning on leaving at 7. That should put me in the Hartford, CT area to pick up Matt around the same time as Clayton, if he leaves at 7:30ish.

Truck is cleaned out, vacuumed, dog drool washed off windows, floor mats washed, wheel chocks on the trailer, bearing buddies installed and greased, driveline u-joints greased on the truck, bed washed out, hitch mounted.

Tonight I need to pack all my clothes/gear/etc.

Might take tomorrow off to try to toss in the new set of steering head bearings into the SV. We'll see. Not necessary, but would be nice to have it done.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

lol looking like low 90's next week. I'm looking forward to dropping about 10 pounds of water weight.

Oh Boy! We leave tomorrow! All my parts came in, just need to get a few things done tomorrow and pack everything!

See you boys on the Highway this time tomorrow!

I wish I had more saddle time prior to this trip.. Only logged on 200 miles this year so far.

I am going to leave my Chatterboxes at home as they will not work with the Sema's you guys have. I'll just have earplugs or music cranked.

If any of you guys know of a dinner you know how to cook bring the recipe and we can take turns cooking the nights we don't want to go out to eat. There is not much in our area anyhow. Keep your grocery store receipts of "House shared items" And we will divide up and split the costs of food. Sometimes this gets difficult. Just getting the idea out there so we are all prepared. We will all end up spending about the same $ so it's fair for us all! Please advise of any food allergies!!!! I myself have none.

www.tailofthedragon.com

Mike, if you can bring a ramp that would be great. I can bring one but it's going to be sooo loud bouncing on top of diamond plating the while trip.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast