Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Deals gap and the Dragon

Re: Deals gap and the Dragon

You're probably setting out to ride 2K miles of technical roads at high speeds. Tech your bike well before you leave and if there are more than 2K miles on your tires, consider a fresh set.

If you've got a trailer, consider using it to get your bike down to Front Royal, VA. There's nothing worth riding between here and there. You'll need a hotel that is willing to keep your trailer so offer them the promise of spending the night on your return trip. You can either honor that commitment or ride in, load the bikes and ride out before they realize you're not staying on the way home.

Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge parkway are a blast. Combined they're 600 miles of twisty mountain roads without a stop sign. Don't expect gas stations on the Skyline drive or the Blue Ridge parkway so plan stops based on towns in the valleys and don't underestimate the switchbacks on the roads from the Blue Ridge down into town. While on Skyline and the Blue Ridge keep the speeds reasonable and don't forget to look at more than the apexes and turn exits while you're riding. Cops will be plentiful and a hand signal with the forefinger and pinky waving above the helmet means there's deer ahead.

As Currently said, think about riding the Dragon slow the first time through. More than likely it will be at the tail end of a long day and not a good day to rip it up. Although you'll ride the dragon many times, don't forget to ride the Cherohala Skyway while you're in Tennessee. The only caution there is to watch the speedo. Speeds on the Cherohala will probably be a good 50MPH faster than the dragon since it's sweepers so a get off could be equally as serious.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I had to work for a week at Lincoln Memorial University in Cumberland Gab TN back in July of 07. Talked to the CEO who was a rider into letting me take a week off prior and use mileage instead of air/rental car for my expense report in order to get down there. He agreed and the rest was easy plus I used the $800 in mileage for my trip down and back plus new tires on the bike.

I shipped my work clothing, laptop and stuff FedEx to my hotel to hold it till I got there and only traveled with a small tail pack on my Buell XB12R. I rode it solo from Worcester MA to a hotel in Knoxville area in two days.

My route down was Rt 84 to Scranton PA and then 81 down to the entrance of The Blue Ridge Parkway. This route is awesome and a joy to ride. It was about 600 miles to the entrance of the Blue Ridge. Then the next day I got up and did the Blue Ridge. Make sure you stop at Tuggles Gap Restaurant for lunch.

When I got down to the Knoxville area I found some random route off the Blue Ridge to my hotel.

Woke up and rode Deal's Gap the next day. Epic

Having someone coming at you while dragging their knee through the corner was F'ng crazy. I did get my Killboy.com photo. Matter of fact its on my laptop now as my desktop.

I ended up putting 2500 miles on my Buell XB12R in a week. I was 44 at the time. So cowboy up mofo's

Tom

Send cash... I need a track day

Good info guys thanks.

Again, no truck or trailer as neither of us own one.

06 RC46

I would also advise that you stay off Skyline Drive. It's a great scenic road but it's not a great sport motorcycle road as the deer and slow traffic make for really slow riding. Get on the Blue Ridge around 8am. There is no one on the road and you'll enjoy the northern section with little traffic. This will put you around Tuggles Gap for lunch.

Tom

Send cash... I need a track day

Excellent, thank you Tom.

06 RC46

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123