Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deals gap and the Dragon

Deals gap and the Dragon

A friend and I are in the planning stages for a journey to the Dragon. We are thinking a week would be enough to do it in. Google maps gives it about a 17 hour ride from here. So about 2 days to ride down, spend 2 days there, take the long way home for 3 days maybe?
    What sort of budget should be set aside for this?
    We will be staying in cheap places.
    Camping would be an option, but I want to try and pack light.

Anyone done this trip and have suggestions?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...256836&t=h&z=5

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Deals gap and the Dragon

We took the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way home. Great road up through he mountains with lots of tunnels...ect. It's the Kancamangus x 10 for hundreds of miles. Nice scenic stretches and good riding (and I bet there is plenty of camping along the way). Starts/ends right near Deals Gap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

And That hooks up with Skyline Drive further north in VA

http://www.blueridgeskyline.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_Drive

I didn't get to ride the whole way (had to hop on the highway to make time). Wish I did.

Last edited by Hoss; 01-30-09 at 07:22 AM.
    2006 Triumph 675
    2002 Yamaha R6 Track Bitch

I've been down there a lot but have never taken the Blue Ridge.. rush to get there, rush to get home. Anyway, budget LOTS of money for gas, that will be your biggest expense. A day of riding around down there can easily be 400+ miles.

00 SV650, 01SV650S, 02SV650S, 01 TLR Fighter, 05 BMW R1100S BCR, 87 BMW K75, 69 BMW R60US

T- Rd. Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQfnf9JmFw

Quote Originally Posted by mullerjd View Post
    I've been down there a lot but have never taken the Blue Ridge.. rush to get there, rush to get home. Anyway, budget LOTS of money for gas, that will be your biggest expense. A day of riding around down there can easily be 400+ miles.
    Plus you can't get gas anywhere on the parkway and take a chance with the locals when you head into any of the towns. The locals can pick you out blindfolded. We got gas once halfway down heading to tenn. stopped at this station had a crank handle on the pump,1 lone fella sitting next to an extremely outdated cash register with rows of gloves and coveralls for sale behind him. Came out after 10 minutes or so,eyeballed the Tuono and said.
    "looks like a pretty spensive bike ya got there?" after i told him what it was he said "OH one o' them italian foreign ones huh?" Where ya'll from? (southern NH) Oh, at least you aint one of them Massachusetts people. They assholes,
    Yup, C-ya later.we'll be on our way thank you

Note to self, I am from nh

Quote Originally Posted by JudyGT View Post
    Plus you can't get gas anywhere on the parkway and take a chance with the locals when you head into any of the towns. The locals can pick you out blindfolded. We got gas once halfway down heading to tenn. stopped at this station had a crank handle on the pump,1 lone fella sitting next to an extremely outdated cash register with rows of gloves and coveralls for sale behind him. Came out after 10 minutes or so,eyeballed the Tuono and said.
    "looks like a pretty spensive bike ya got there?" after i told him what it was he said "OH one o' them italian foreign ones huh?" Where ya'll from? (southern NH) Oh, at least you aint one of them Massachusetts people. They assholes,
    Yup, C-ya later.we'll be on our way thank you

We pulled off into a few towns for gas and thankfully didn't have much trouble. We did get caught on it at dusk and I saw more deer in a few hours then I had previously in my life, total. That was, and would be my biggest concern about riding it again.

2006 Triumph 675

my first trip to deals gap was 3 days down, 3 days there and 4 days back that turned into 12 days total cause of a crash

I'd attempt Skyline Drive/BRP on the way down, but many times the weather on the parkway is foggy & rainey even thout it's nice in the valley. all the trips I have made it to the dragon, only once was the parkway nice enuf to ride, YOU DON'T want to ride the parkway in the fog or rain

as I said, my first trip, day one got me to gettysburg, pa, front royal by noon day 2 and roanoke by the end of day 2, made it to deals by the end of day 3

on the way back, I took a route north thru bigstone gap into KY then thru WV to Marietta OH , my riding partner crashed, and I needed tires and had to hole up in Wheeling for a couple days then cause I was alone for the remainder, I slabbed it back from Wheeling

never had any problem finding gas on the way down, there are a couple stations right on the BRP, but spaced too far in between to count on them with the small tanks that bikes have

Last edited by RandyO; 01-30-09 at 09:43 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I have taken the Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way down, and then rode home on 81 the last couple times I've gone. If I can get the time off from work I'll head down at the end of May/early June.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I have taken the Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way down, and then rode home on 81 the last couple times I've gone. If I can get the time off from work I'll head down at the end of May/early June.
    How long does it take you to get there? Is a week enough time to not be rushing?

A week is ok but you will wish you had more time.. you could spend 2 weeks straight down there riding in TN, NC, and GA

00 SV650, 01SV650S, 02SV650S, 01 TLR Fighter, 05 BMW R1100S BCR, 87 BMW K75, 69 BMW R60US

T- Rd. Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQfnf9JmFw

Quote Originally Posted by mullerjd View Post
    A week is ok but you will wish you had more time.. you could spend 2 weeks straight down there riding in TN, NC, and GA
    But your ass and legs would never forgive you.

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    We pulled off into a few towns for gas and thankfully didn't have much trouble. We did get caught on it at dusk and I saw more deer in a few hours then I had previously in my life, total. That was, and would be my biggest concern about riding it again.
    The deer are an awesome sight to see,we had trailered the bike from NH to the tip of the BRP so when we left to go home we took off at 3am so we could literally watch the deer cross in front of us as we left the parkway. It was so cool.
    It took us a week to get from the top of VA to gatlinburg starting around 8am and had destinations for sleeping each day. We had little trouble and just reversed it going back. Were able to leeve our groceries each time we stayed for the way back.took a week and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    my first trip to deals gap was 3 days down, 3 days there and 4 days back that turned into 12 days total cause of a crash

I'd attempt Skyline Drive/BRP on the way down, but many times the weather on the parkway is foggy & rainey even thout it's nice in the valley. all the trips I have made it to the dragon, only once was the parkway nice enuf to ride, YOU DON'T want to ride the parkway in the fog or rain

as I said, my first trip, day one got me to gettysburg, pa, front royal by noon day 2 and roanoke by the end of day 2, made it to deals by the end of day 3

on the way back, I took a route north thru bigstone gap into KY then thru WV to Marietta OH , my riding partner crashed, and I needed tires and had to hole up in Wheeling for a couple days then cause I was alone for the remainder, I slabbed it back from Wheeling

never had any problem finding gas on the way down, there are a couple stations right on the BRP, but spaced too far in between to count on them with the small tanks that bikes have
    When did you go? we could NOT find a single station on the BRP at all?

We did end up getting caught in fog and oh boy, that took 10 yrs off our life for approx 1 mile of hell

The first section was all rain and fog for us. Wasn't a great time, but once we were out of it the road was great!

2006 Triumph 675

Its not when you go.
    its not how long it takes you to get there.
    Its not how you get there.

Its only important that you are there.

1967 Model Human, All male accessories. Manufactured by John & Irene

the first time I rode down, no rain, no fog, skyline dr. & brp were great, a couple years later , nice & sunny in the valley, on the ridge top, couldn't see 100 feet in front of you got off at first opportunity and made a wrong turn in the fog cause I could'nt even see the road signs,

the year I rode on bpr all the way was 2001 iirc

RandyO
    IBA#9560

When did you go? we could NOT find a single station on the BRP at all?

We did end up getting caught in fog and oh boy, that took 10 yrs off our life for approx 1 mile of hell

maps show gas at mile 240 Doughton Park in NC, the other station was right at the end of Skyline Drive and beginning of BRP

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
    How long does it take you to get there? Is a week enough time to not be rushing?
    I takes me a couple days to get down there. I'll spend a day riding in the area, and then slab it home in a (long painfull) day. Each trip I'm gone for four or five days. A week would be perfect if I could get the time. I ride a GSXR, and I'm in a little pain at the end of each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jeff View Post
    Its not when you go.
    its not how long it takes you to get there.
    Its not how you get there.

Its only important that you are there.
    so true.

Awsome advice guys. Can anyone give me any motorcycle friendly motels along the way? I would like to wheel the bikes into the room with us if at all possible.
    Anyone have a route plan made up you can share?

Stiggy,

Here is where Judy gt and I stayed
    1st year april and it rained
    2nd year late May no traffic - good weather
    No place for bikes but there is a motel near the Gap that has garages
    trailered to the start of the BRP and rode the bike to deals gap.
    Great riding around the gap area not just Rt.129
    the BRP maps have gas stations listed but in 2006 there were none

You can figure out our daily mileage, about 8 hrs a day decent pace

Saturday
    Royal Oaks 45 Royal Oaks Lane Love, ( left the trailer there for the week)
    Virginia 22952 1-800-410-0627 x
    http://www.vacabins.com/

Sunday
    Cabins at Laurel Creek Laurel ( nothing near this place but it's 1/2 way)
    springs NC (336) 207-7677 x
    http://www.cabinsonlaurelcreek.com/default.htm

Monday
    Mountain Shadows Resort 1625 Hidden Hills (resort area alot good riding in smokey mtns national park)
    Road Gatlinburg, TN 37738 1-877-653-9429 x
    http://www.mtnshadows.com/

Tuesday
    Mountain Shadows Resort 1625 Hidden Hills
    Road Gatlinburg, TN 37738 1-865-430-9201 x
    http://www.mtnshadows.com/

Wednesday
    Cabins at Laurel Creek Laurel springs NC (336) 207-7677 x http://www.cabinsonlaurelcreek.com/default.htm

Thursday
    Royal Oaks 45 Royal Oaks Lane Love,
    Virginia 22952 1-800-410-0627 x http://www.vacabins.com/

Friday did the skyline drive loop

PM me if want to get somemore details

SC is the on the parkway is the best street riding you can do

Quote Originally Posted by sv484 View Post
    Gatlinburg
    I recommend going nowhere near Gatlinburg, there are less congested places to stay and less expensive, that are closer to the better twisties that are also less congested with cage traffic

several places in Robbinsville

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I recommend going nowhere near Gatlinburg
    DEFINITELY! Treat Gatlinburg as if it were a plague zone - don't go *anywhere* near it. It's crowded, expensive, traffic choked and has all the worst parts of American Tourism...It's a horrid, ugly, sorry excuse for a town that should just be bulldozed and started over...

Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Bike Life
    http://www.yourbikelife.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
    A friend and I are in the planning stages for a journey to the Dragon.
    Lucky you! What time of year are you going to go?
    Anyone done this trip and have suggestions?
    I used to live in Nashville, TN and went to The Dragon often.

We've camped in the area (at the wonderful and inexpensive Kickstand Lodge) and did the resort thing (at Fontana Village) - I prefer the resort but my wife thought the little cabins at the Kickstand were very cute.

You can also stay right at the "base" of the Dragon at the Deals Gap Resort.

Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Bike Life

Plus you can't get gas anywhere on the parkway and take a chance with the locals when you head into any of the towns. The locals can pick you out blindfolded.
    LOL Of course they can - you don't have TN or NC plates....It's easy to pick people out that way.
    "Oh, at least you aint one of them Massachusetts people. They assholes..."
    You do realize they were joking, right? It's a pretty common gag down South.

Shawn King
    Host/Executive Producer
    Your Bike Life

I now live an hour and a half away from the Dragon.

If you really want to enjoy riding here, bring your bikes on the back of a truck. Double team the driving and you can get here in 17-18 hours. Double team driving a truck down here will make the trip pleasant and you have a great chance to rest when you arrive. You will be fresh and rested when you get up the next day and really get a good chance to enjoy the scenery and road quality in TN, SC and northern GA.

Go to bed, DO NOT RIDE IMMEDIATELY when you get here, lots of people crash riding these roads when they are tired.

I recommend trucking it down cause you you bring all your m/c gear for all weather conditions, your coolers for drinks (Dragon is dry counties for the most part), if a bike breaks down or you do leave the road, you got a way to bring it back. Bring some food and a small hibachi for evenings. What you will save will pay for the cost in fuel. There are some nice campgrounds that are cheap if you don't mind tenting.

Like many said here ... AVOID GATLINBURG AT ALL COSTS! Don't even drive through the town. It is the worst tourist trap I have ever experienced. If you take Old Orchard Beach and combine it with Coney Island and Atlantic City during peak tourist season you will only begin to appreciate how incredibly selfish these money hungry locals are that screw with you. A bloody hemmoroid covered in veneral warts does not even begin to give that description justice.

If anyone here has ever been to St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands ... Gatlinburg is worse than that cesspool. That is saying alot.

Last edited by Currently; 02-01-09 at 12:53 PM.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast