Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

DIRT BIKING - Groton (MA) Trails Committee Mtg - Aug 18

Post DIRT BIKING - Groton (MA) Trails Committee Mtg - Aug 18

Here's an invitation to all NESRian Dirt Riders - the Groton Trails Committee is having their second meeting to discuss off-road vehicle use in Groton. We need as many dirt bikers as possible to represent the off-road community and it doesn't matter if you live in town or not. The meeting is at 7:30pm at Town Hall on Main Street.

It was about 5 years ago that the Groton Town Forest was closed to off-road vehicles. Since then illegal riding has increased in conservation areas, the rail trail and private property. The meetings are designed to address that problem.

I attended the first meeting last month and there were about dozen fringe environmentalists, some concerned landowners, a few people willing to discuss alternatives that met everyone's needs, and my daughter and I (the only riders). It was depressing. I made it clear that if there are no legal riding areas, then people will ride where it's illegal and suggested the best way to keep off-road vehicles out of environmentally sensitive areas is to provide a place that is legal to ride. It wasn't a popular statement.

If the OHV community can present itself as respectful, interested in a compromise solution that gives us someplace to ride, there are members on the committee who will listen and try to work with us. If no one is there, or those who attend are disrespectful, we have no chance.

Here's the meeting notification:
    The Trails Committee will hold a 2nd public meeting on Tuesday 8/18 7.30pm at Groton Town Hall, in an effort to address motorized trail users, in particular ATV, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles, on public and privately owned conservation land.

The Trails Committee is neither authorized nor are we looking to change the rules already in place. Goal of the meeting is to continue developing a plan to educate the public on what the rules are, in an effort to preserve the land the way it was meant to be when it was protected, and give people a chance to stay out of trouble.

The meeting is open to everyone committed to a solution.

Chairman, Town of Groton Trails Committee

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Re: DIRT BIKING - Groton (MA) Trails Committee Mtg - Aug 18

That used to be one of my favorite places to ride One hot day my bike and I even went for a swim in that green river.

Good luck with everything, wish I lived closer to help out

Yamaha

crap! I wish I knew about this earlier or I would've come

did it go well this time around?

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    crap! I wish I knew about this earlier or I would've come

did it go well this time around?
    Its tonight as in Tuesday evening, you don't even need Doc and Marty.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org