Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Higgins Armory Musuem Saturday, Oct. 8th...

Higgins Armory Musuem Saturday, Oct. 8th...

Anyone interested in riding to the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcestor on Saturday? Gonna be a nice day and its a pretty cool museum.

Leave BK exit 4 Derry at 10:00...

Visit Museum then some lunch.

http://www.higgins.org/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Higgins Armory Musuem Saturday, Oct. 8th...

that place is amazingly Cool.. there is some Crazy stuff there.

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

talk about ATGATT

...anyone? ...no-one?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Dave (DucDave)
    Dave (Tagnahoor)
    Terry (NHBusa)

Muhammad Ali.

you guys seriously think that museum is awesome? im not trying to offend anyones opinion, i just consider it one of the worst museums that I have ever been in my life.
    Cheaply made copies of history.. i might be wrong since the one and only time i ever been there was 4 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    you guys seriously think that museum is awesome? im not trying to offend anyones opinion, i just consider it one of the worst museums that I have ever been in my life.
    Cheaply made copies of history.. i might be wrong since the one and only time i ever been there was 4 years ago
    Well...what I saw wasn't cheaply made copies of anything. Maybe you didn't get past the gift shop?

The Armory's collection, displayed in a Gothic castle setting is extensive. The European portion consists of 3,000 armors and components, 1,000 weapons and accessories, 500 swords and daggers; 100 firearms; a tapestry, stained glass, paintings, and wood carvings. In addition, the non-Western collection comprises 1,000 African, Islamic, Indian, and Japanese body defenses and arms. The four-story art deco Museum was one of the first all steel and glass curtain-wall structures built in America, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. On John Higgins' death in 1961, the building, collections and an endowment were given to the public.

But, thanks for sharing...!

Muhammad Ali.

I love that museum. There is some really cooool shit and the curators really know what they are talking about. Maybe you didnt take the time to read each individual exhibit. Really adds to the pieces.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

been there, done that.
    Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of history or museums, but that place seemed geared toward the pre-teens..
    and the "Gothic castle" setting is just a warehouse (more obviously so from the outside, but still).

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I love that museum. There is some really cooool shit and the curators really know what they are talking about. Maybe you didnt take the time to read each individual exhibit. Really adds to the pieces.
    the thing is that I am from Greece and I have been to plenty of museums in europe. Ancient history is a course that I studied for 6 years and I know quite a few things for those times. Thats why I have the opinion that I have. Im not gonna speak for the western and african department since I do not know much but you will allow me to have an opinion for some stuff that I have seen in person and spent a fair amount of time learning about.

oh and everything on the european department is copies and not original thats just for the record. not that this is a bad thing since in most cases stuff like that is illegal to be exported from their original countries but have seen the real stuff in person i can tell what it is true and what is not.
    if you guys were impressed by that place I would highly recommend the metropolitan museum in NYC. it will blow your mind away. I loved that place.
    Im not bashing on anything (repeating myself just to be clear) and i know NYC s not 20 mins away im just saying that the museum in worcester was a big disappointment in my first and only visit.

I really need to get another bike

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I really need to get another bike
    Yup! Go see Adam... You and TLRman can get 2012 Daytona's

oh and everything on the european department is copies and not original thats just for the record. not that this is a bad thing since in most cases stuff like that is illegal to be exported from their original countries but have seen the real stuff in person i can tell what it is true and what is not.
    if you guys were impressed by that place I would highly recommend the metropolitan museum in NYC. it will blow your mind away. I loved that place.
    Im not bashing on anything (repeating myself just to be clear) and i know NYC s not 20 mins away im just saying that the museum in worcester was a big disappointment in my first and only visit.
    Well, its a good thing you didn't come. We had a great time without you and enjoyed all the original pieces (about 90%) as well as the fine reproductions. It is local, interesting, and on a scale that allows one to go through the museum in an hour and a half.

Nice lunch after at Wild Willys and fun ride down and back. All in all, a great day!

Last edited by DucDave; 10-08-11 at 07:45 PM.
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Well, its a good thing you didn't come. We had a great time without you and enjoyed all the original pieces (about 90%) as well as the fine reproductions. It is local, interesting, and on a scale that allows one to go through the museum in an hour and a half.

Nice lunch after at Wild Willys and fun ride down and back. All in all, a great day!
    Pretty jealous not gonna lie. Working 10-9:19 wasnt as fun

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Well, its a good thing you didn't come. We had a great time without you and enjoyed all the original pieces (about 10%)
    fixed

fixed
    You realize you haven't contributed anything positive and no one cares right?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Let's see if I can post this link to a slideshow to our photos of all that fake armor that they were making 400 to 1000 years ago...
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="288" height="192" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000& feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Ftagnah oor%2Falbumid%2F5661478010295767713%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26authkey%3D Gv1sRgCNKxp-3H3KbEJQ%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

2016 Yamaha FZ07
    2002 Harley XL1200S Café Custom
    1992 Suzuki GS500E Trackbike

Doesn't seem to like Picasa...

2016 Yamaha FZ07

2016 Yamaha FZ07

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You realize you haven't contributed anything positive and no one cares right?
    i mean if thats the level of conversation we can have thats a different story i guess I am wasting my time and yours.
    Higgins Museum should be internationaly recognised for its contribution to international modern and ancient history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagnahoor View Post
    Let's see if I can post this link to a slideshow to our photos of all that fake armor that they were making 400 to 1000 years ago...
    Ancient Chine : Xia Dynasty 2100–1600 BC
    Shang Dynasty 1600–1046 BC
    Zhou Dynasty 1045–256 BC

Ancient Greece : The Archaic period (c. 750 - c. 500 BC)
    The Classical period (c. 500 - 323 BC) The Hellenistic period (323-146 BC)

Roman Empire: 27 BC–AD 476/1453

Since I was refferint to those FAKE showings of the museum 400-1000 years ago means nothing to me since I do not know much about that time frame.
    Anyways this conversation is pretty pointless because you guys think its an awesoe museum. Maybe if you go and visit some real ones you ll change your minds. It might be ok for a weekend right a place to go hang out and see some stuff you dont see every day but if you have spent some fair amount examing and studying history you will see it from a different point of view.

I hope you guys had a good time...

I wish I could have gone with you but Columbus Day weekend is the weekend when I celebrate Pumpkin Day with a few of my friends. We chop pumpkins up with hand weapons...some genuine swords and some garage creations. Then we eat and drink, listen to some musical, etc. The party starts on Friday and ends Sunday morning.
    Solgirl crushed us on the archery contest. She got 3 out of 3 bullseyes. The closest any of the rest of us got was 1 out of 3.

I still want to go back to the Higgins...maybe in the spring.

Sam