Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hurricane Mountain Road Ride - Finally!

Hurricane Mountain Road Ride - Finally!

After rescheduling this ride twice previously due to weather, we finally got this off on Saturday. Twelve other riders showed up at Seacoast and we pushed off at 9:00 sharp!

Ken and Dan rode through some rain to make the start and Mo, came all the way from Rhode Island!

The ride to North Conway was a mixture of good back road romps, slowed at times by traffic. In Wolfeboro we stopped briefly for a break!

About a mile from the turn off to West Road in Conway, we came to a complete stop and watched the temps rise. In my case, the digital thermometer on the loaner Multi showed 112 degrees and engine temp was at 209. Sweltering...

It didnt' take as long as I feared to get through and West Road brought the temps from unbearable to barely bearable!

We voted to eat our subs at Subway rather than stuff our lunch into our jackets and tote them to the normal spot in Evans Notch!

(And no, the Harleys in that shot weren't with us!)

After lunch, and a brief talk about HMR, we took off and didn't stop til the end where, as usual, SEGs dominated! (S... Eating Grins)

We didn't stop again til the base of Mt. Washington and then only long enough to pay our fares and get our 'This Bike Climbed Mount Washington' stickers!

They really need to ease up on the 'no passing' rule to the summit. Most cage drivers have no idea of the challenge presented in riding a motorcycle at 3 mph, up a steep grade, on loose gravel, in a 40mph cross wind. Momentum, you fools, momentum!

Everyone made it safely to the top and were treated to a rare and spectacular day. It was about 52 degrees and very windy, but it wasn't snowing and the visibility was pretty damn good!

Nick was so happy he started do dance a jig...

Obligatory 'Summit' photo taken and we headed inside for a quick snack!

Back down, into Gorham for gas, and off to Bear Notch and the Kanc! We passed one LEO headed the other way but no performance awards were issued!

There was a group of bare chested Harley Riders in front of us on the Kanc. It was a little like watching a circus performance. One guy would hang way off his Fat Boy or whatever it was on the straights. A little later, the all stood up for a couple of miles! Eventually, we got past them and some of us had a pretty good 8 miles or so of the Kanc Experience!

Into Lincoln and a stop for Ice Cream!

Then a slab home!

310 miles for me. Home by seven!

Thanks to everyone for a great day, great riding, and patience with my occaisional impatience!

Thanks to Rob, Guy and Terry for their lead and sweep efforts! (Especially Terry for leading most of the Slab Home...and Rob for the little playing near the end!)

And Mo...we look forward to a couple videos from the GoPro!

Next Month....Curtis Ribs!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 07-24-11 at 06:08 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Hurricane Mountain Road Ride - Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    and Rob for the little playing near the end!

There is only 1 right and 1 left turn worth anything on that whole slab home. If traffic permits ... well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post

There is only 1 right and 1 left turn worth anything on that whole slab home. If traffic permits ... well, you know.

Oh...you mean the one where you finally decided to pass me and demonstrate how it's done! Yeah, I know!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Great write up Dave.

Thanks again!

*I have been at work all night... and can't stop talking about yesterday. I am super tired and need to get some sleep. That ride kicked my a$$...

Last edited by cbr_chick_nh; 07-24-11 at 06:42 AM.
    If you ain't first......you're last!

sounds like a great ride guys.
    wish I was there instead of here in germany for work.
    need to get home and get back on the bike.with any luck I will fly home before the weekend.

oh you guys did the Auto road???

I missed it again!

Dave, what will happen to the Sept 10th ride? Will you do the auto road once again?

There’s just engineering, skill, and luck.

-1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750 - sold
    -1997 Honda CBR600F3 - sold
    -2011 Ducati Streetfighter S - current

This was definitely a ton of fun. I didn't realize we did the Kank since the only other time I've ridden it was in the other direction in 20mph traffic the entire way. Great seeing everyone!

Mo, where are those videos???

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style