Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hurricane Mtn and Beyond Short Report

Hurricane Mtn and Beyond Short Report

Ten of us met at Burger King on Sunday. Actually, 9 of us. Jackie was late so we waited!

We left at about 9:50 and took a route out of Derry, past Massabesic, and on to 107 through Candia, Deerfield and down the mtn into Pittsfield! From there we slabbed up 28 to the Alton Circle. We went round the circle, then proceeded north on 28 toward Wolfboro.

About a mile from the Alton we passed a minivan going about 40 and wicked our way north...a bit over the limit until we got jammed up by a couple cars which we followed all the way into town. I led the group through Wolfboro, past a couple LEOS having a conversation with a couple guys on cruisers.

After making the right off Main street we waited to be sure everyone was with us. Sure enough, we were one short! Someone thought that Terry (Squidboy) NHBusa had been pulled over!

I turned back and, yep, Terry was just finishing his discussion and was putting his helmet back on. We rejoined the group and Terry offered the Sweep slot to anyone willing! Apparently the women in the Minivan called the police and said she had been passed by a bunch of bikes going over 100mph and she was terrified. If anyone knows Terry, you can imagine the Officers being perplexed. After short friendly discussion he was sent on his way with the warning that Police Departments had been notified and were on the lookout for a group of hooligan riders.

(I will take a moment here. Those who have ridden with me generally acknowledge that, with a few exceptions, I lead a ride with an 'entertaining' pace, I don't ever like to talk about actual speeds since the raw number is meaningless with out the full context, and, as a rule, I make an effort to leave a 'positive' impression on the folks we enounter! The pass on the minivan was on a long view dotted line, we passed quickly as we must with a group that large, there was no on coming traffic to be seen, and the entire event was excuted cleanly and with no drama. The women was a nutbag, pure and simple. And yeah, I know, I "doth protest too much!")

So, back on 28 for the nice section between Wolfboro and 16. The weather was the same as it had been when we left Derry. A bit overcast and gray, but perfectly dry and warm enough that the heated gear wasn't needed!

CONGA LINE

We stayed on 16 right into North Conway, by passing lots of interesting roads in favor of getting to Hurricane Mountain and beyond in time for lunch. We were thinking of the advice from the LEO in Wolfboro and kept the speeds to legal. The traffic helped too!

Past Chocorua and into Conway where we picked up West Road to bypass the traffic of 16. Unfortunately, we got jammed up behind some guy who was bent on proving he could drive all the way into North Conway without exceeding the speedlimit by even 1/10. And in the process collected us and about 8 cars. Pity cus that's a nice little stretch to let it out a bit!

We gassed up and grabbed some subs in North Conway.

AT SUBWAY

After a brief description of what to expect, turned on to Hurricane Mountain Road!

I'll let others describe their experience here if they are so inclined! I love that road for the 'tickle in the groin' it gives me every time!

Safely through, we turned on to 113 and headed to Evans notch where we planned to stop and eat. The 10 miles to the White Mountain National Park entrance was fun but when we got there the entrance was closed. Apparently there is a bridge out...again?!

So, we stopped at the picnic area and ate, consulted a map, and opted to redo Hurricane Mountain Road! (HMR)!

APRES LUNCH

South again, then West back to North Conway, we arrived at the other side of HMR and headed north on 302 to Bear Mountain Road (BMR)!

We finally were able to let the RPMS creep up as we hammered BMR with enthusiastic grins! And what a treat. As we approached other cars they actually pulled over and let us by with a chuckle and a wave! Awesome!

Near the end, I had to stop and get this picture. No big surprise really, but the snow on the side was evidence that this really is early in the season!

BEAR MTN SNOW!

Obviously, at this point, we headed west on the Kanc. The traffic was light and passing was easy and without drama and we had a spirited romp to the summit!

THE KANC

While we were taking in the view two NESRs - Stiggy and Ninjajim - shot by going east! They looked at us and we looked at them. And we discussed the encounter later here... http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...anc-today.html

Ha...small world that got even smaller as we wound our way into Lincoln. Between Loon and the Pemi Wilderness trail, we passed a couple Leos running a field sobriety 'walk the line' test on some youngster. Bad day for him! When we stopped in Lincoln for gas and coffee, Terry told me one of the Leos was Nikon!!! Hey bud...you could have waved back at me! (Or maybe you ride a Harley!)

Refueled and with energy in reserve, we decided to continue the twisty fest and ran down 112 to 118. From there we hopped on Halls Brook Road and eventually skirted the east shore of Newfound Lake on 3a! We stopped for gas once more and I followed a lost loop of pretty nice roads that eventually hooked up with 103. We crossed 89, jumped on 113 and were soon in Goffstown!

On 101 riders began leaving the group to find there way home!

End of a terrific day.

Thanks to Terry for riding sweep and managing the occaisional LEO. And to everyone else for riding REALLY well and making this an awesome day!

Oh...and HOW good was this ride???

...it was THIS good!!!

Later,

Dave

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Hurricane Mtn and Beyond Short Report

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    AT SUBWAY
    Great, another tag I know the exact location of.
    I know I shouldnt admit this, but my parents house is no more than 10 minutes from here, and I've NEVER done Hurricane on the bike. Sad and pathetic.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Riding the White Mountains is always a good time, I do it whenever I can. There are so many great routes.

About a mile south of the subway on 16 is Elvios Pizza and they have outside seating. Cool spot to sit for lunch and watch the traffic go by.

bawahaha Nice pose Consantine!

Again thanks and awesome ride dave and excellent write up.

H mtn road is one of the funnest roads I have ever been on and just thinking about it makes me grin, luckily dave and terry warned the group that at times you might be riding on one wheel, maybe just the rear or maybe just the front but I wasn't expecting BOTH! I can't wait to ride it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

Oh...and HOW good was this ride???

...it was THIS good!!!

Thanks so much for leading, Dave. As I said, you're not a TOTAL douche bag

This was my first group ride this year and it was definitely an amazing way to start the season. Great group, good pace and some great roads. I'll ride with any of you assholes again

Original

What a ride! Except for the pain in the ass subaru going exactly the speed limit it was a great day. HMR was a total blast both times. Thanks Dave for leading another great ride!!!

Nice pics. I'm west of Conway / kanc HMR BNR. I've not been over that way yet. If I was in S. NH I would have joined ya for sure though.

Notice I called it BNR not BMR? It's Bear Notch Road
    At least the big honking sign on the Kanc calls it that.

Is that road still rough? It would be slick if it got repaved. Evans Notch / 113 was a bit rough last year to. Sucky it was still closed.

Aside from the nutbag it looks you like all had a great ride

They repaved big sections of it, its not too bad.

Original

Ninjajim and I took BNR that day. It was bumpy in spots, but still a great road. The bumps help keep the speed in check, lol.

I really need to hook up with one of your rides in the future Dave, looks like you guys had a great time!

06 RC46

Great ride Dave, thanks for putting that together. My hats off to the guy on that Kawasaki 250, I didn't know those bikes could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Great ride Dave, thanks for putting that together. My hats off to the guy on that Kawasaki 250, I didn't know those bikes could do that.
    LOL - Thanks. I'm actually gonna miss that bike a bit, since you can flog the piss out of it all day long.

On the next ride you guys won't have the to worry about the lack of, ummm, shall we say higher speed passing power..... there's a new bike on it's way

Thanks again Dave. That was a fantastic way to really kick off the season. As usual I have very little idea where we actually go - but it's always fun

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I musta missed something here.......how was I not informed of this gathering?

It was posted with the caveat when we hit 10 people it would go PM. Snooze and lose

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Great time! I parked the bike as I want to make sure I'm still here as well as all the parts of the bike after the Hurrricane air run. Kawa 250 what are you getting next ? I need a lighter faster bike to stay with you guys .. what if i lost 80 lbs I'd be fine ? Crazzzy talk...

oh Ya.. Imagine waiting for a woman !! What's next !?

Quote Originally Posted by LV4me View Post
    Kawa 250 what are you getting next ?
    The new 650

Ironically, I'll probably be slower on that for a while until I adjust to it.

It sees it's new home tomorrow.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by ninjette_ridr55 View Post
    The new 650

congrats on the soon to be new ride

don't forget to update your sig, see you're not that old after all

It was posted with the caveat when we hit 10 people it would go PM. Snooze and lose
    ....ooooooorrrr, I don't log on the internets during the weekend.

People have my number regardless...

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    ....ooooooorrrr, I don't log on the internets during the weekend.

People have my number regardless...
    Sorry Dude....But the ride was posted most of the week. I just assumed you were previously occupied. I'd of extended it to 11 for you, you know!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I demand a group hug!

Quote Originally Posted by LV4me View Post
    oh Ya.. Imagine waiting for a woman !! What's next !?
    Hold your tongue, young man. I'd like to see anyone else binge drink/bump uglies until 4AM, get up 10 mins before the meeting time and make it to a ride only 10 mins late.

The new 650

I made the same transition seamlessly. The only thing to adjust to is the fact that after the 250, a crank of the throttle will just about rip your arms off.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I demand a group hug!

4 days

Original

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post

I made the same transition seamlessly. The only thing to adjust to is the fact that after the 250, a crank of the throttle will just about rip your arms off.

wow - you weren't kidding. so that's what torque feels like

2012 Tiger 800 XC

wow - you weren't kidding. so that's what torque feels like
    oh shit!!! I demand photos!

real photos some time tomorrow when I have a camera. I rode it too late tonight

Here's a generic teaser for ya (mine's not red)

2012 Tiger 800 XC

real photos some time tomorrow when I have a camera. I rode it too late tonight

Here's a generic teaser for ya (mine's not red)
    Wow...the way you rode that 250 was inspired! Hope to see your new ride soon! Congrats!

Muhammad Ali.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast