Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Loop to Camden, Me Opinions

If the weather holds I am gonna loop up from CT in a big arc through NH to Camden, Maine. on Sunday returning Tuesday

Avoiding Expressways except to cross cities I am looking at in Maine.

Using either 202
    25 to 35
    302 to 17

Looking to make time and fewish leos the further north I go the longer the trip

Any real opinions

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

25 out of Meredith into Maine would be a nice choice for a scenic road with some enjoyable twisty bits that still makes pretty good time towards the east. I drove it in my car last month and was wishing I was on the bike the whole time.

Rt 17 is a boring east/west road w/ a 55mph speed limit from Augusta all the way to Camden. You'll make the best time, but there is virtually no astehtic value or curves to make it interesting. Save it for making up time only. and definately consider it "a slab".

I can't remember much about 202 and I'm not actually sure where 35 is so I can't comment on that one.

If you come North to Augusta and don't mind adding a couple minutes for some good secondary roads, take 3 east (55mph "slab") and then 173 or 173/235 into Camden

My wife was from Camden and I was born and raised 15 minutes from there, so if you have any more specific questions about the area, shoot me a PM.

'01 VFR 800

I drove up to Camden/Rockport several times last summer. DO NOT take route 1 in Maine, you'll be in traffic bored out of your mind. Camden is a really nice area though, if you can, go a little north of Camden towards Lincolnville, thats a neat little area as well. I think if you are coming north through the center of Camden, you'll have a big 3 way intersection in the center of town, to the right goes past the town common, and if you take a left, go up that way maybe .1-.2 miles and on the right is the road that leads up towards Lincolnville, I think most of the road is right along the coastline and has some nice views.

Re: Loop to Camden, Me Opinions

Originally posted by richw
    If the weather holds I am gonna loop up from CT in a big arc through NH to Camden, Maine. on Sunday returning Tuesday

Avoiding Expressways except to cross cities I am looking at in Maine.

Using either 202
    25 to 35
    302 to 17

Looking to make time and fewish leos the further north I go the longer the trip

Any real opinions
    I would take Rt 11 to LA then pickup 126 and get on 17 in washington just before you get to camden this is a route I have taken to visit a friend in North Whitefield

they route you mentioned are all primary highways, more traffic, more leos , 11 and 126 are secondary

it's hard to avoid going thru LA without taking the LONG way around

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Thanks

Thats the insight I was looking for

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

If you want some fun 2ndary roads going into Camden, any of the roads east of Washington between Rt 17 & Rt 3 (220, 131, 105, 173, 52) will do nciely.

'01 VFR 800