Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Back - West Virginia Sport Tour

Back - West Virginia Sport Tour

Rob (Cheese), Bruce (mycircus) and Dave (tagnaohoor) and I left late Friday afternoon, August 13th for an epic 8 day trip centered in West Virginia. Last summer I passed through with my wife (in the TL) and couldn't stop thinking how great it would be to take a bike!

When the FastCat Ferry to Nova Scotia shut down it was an easy choice to abandon the Maritimes (where I had led rides for 7 years) for a trip south!

We were overwhelmed by the quality, quantity and variety of roads that we rode all week. My high school roomate lives there now and we met for lunch. What a flashback that was...40 years later...and he told us that Senator Byrd had a vision that all roads in West Virginia would be paved...and mostly are. Bill Clinton once said to Byrd, "Senator, if y'all don't stop paving your roads, you won't be able to mine." Even the 'goat paths' were paved and the quality of all the roads was outstanding.

If you're ever down there a stop in Green Bank at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory is well worth a couple hours! We also spent a little time at Senaca Rocks National Park and toured the Beckley West Virgina Coal Mine museum.

A stop at the New River Gorge and the Summit of Spruce Knob are worth seeing as well!

We stayed in White Sulpher Springs at the James Wylie House B&B. Monica Foo was great - the breakfasts were awesome! The 'Cabin' was really cool too!

We also spent a couple hours at the West Virginia State fair! HUGE!

Thanks Dave, Rob and Bruce, for being awesome companions! There was nary a disagreement the whole week. Except for one day we averaged nearly 350 miles and aside from my top bag taking leave of my bike at about 75mph, we had no incidents at all!

Great having you guys along!

Full album of my pics at PhotoBucket!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 08-26-10 at 12:55 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Re: Back - West Virginia Sport Tour

So glad you guys had a good time!!! How many miles total?

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Re: Back - West Virginia Sport Tour

Nice. If you do the trip again next year, stop by Cass, pretty much just around the corner from Green Bank. Classic narrow-gauge logging railroad and a preserved logging town.

Also, take Rt 16 from Beckley down to Grayson Highlands State Park in southern VA. Really fun road with some very technical twisties. Just watch for coal dust on the road, especially around the town of Coalwood.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021