Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Last minute VT-NY 4-day tour this week

truncated phrase here trider143's Avatar

Last minute VT-NY 4-day tour this week

I had been planning to head down to West Virginia later this week, but severe weather is forecast, and since 1-day each way is slab just to get there, I am reconsidering and planning to head up to VT and upstate NY instead.

I have a pretty good idea of good roads to compile into daily routes. I am planning to do 2 days in VT and 2 days in upstate NY in between days in VT. But I do not have a good list of must-go/must-see places to include in my plans. (I am planning on dropping by Cyclewise during their upcoming demo days events. Other than that, I am starting from a clean slate for my destination plans.)

As this forum is rich with suggestions, I welcome any and all

PS: I have visited Lake Placid Ski Jump and 1000s Islands Tower already, and with vertigo, aren't high on my list to re-visit

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Last minute VT-NY 4-day tour this week

Sport Touring at Stratton this weekend

Do the gaps Camp Brook, rt 73, 125, 17

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Sport Touring at Stratton this weekend

Do the gaps Camp Brook, rt 73, 125, 17
    Thanks for the recommendations! Will look into the Stratton event, as that is new info to me.

T**** road, VT140, VT100, Middlebury Gap, Bethel Mountain Road. I tend to just drop a pin in google maps that looks like there isn't a direct route and just follow the gps loosely. Tough to go wrong once you're in the mountains.

Got 'em.

Thanks Ryan.

FYI Rt 125 (Middlebury Gap) is getting repaved. 8+ miles of gnarly dirt/gravel from Rt 100 to the top of the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcon77 View Post
    FYI Rt 125 (Middlebury Gap) is getting repaved. 8+ miles of gnarly dirt/gravel from Rt 100 to the top of the gap.
    Damn, good to know. I was planning on a Lake Placid trip this weekend through there. I suppose it needed it though.

Day 1 - 3 gaps and a notch

Today was a little bit of everything.
    Sun and rain.
    Paved and unpaved roads.
    Mountains, river roads, and valleys.
    Detours and road construction.
    Three deer crossing my path.

Starting out from metro west MA, went backroad to 190 and rt 2 and headed out the Mohawk trail to shelburne falls. From there north on 112 to 100 to 9 and north on 7. The rains came in southern VT, and continued until well north of Bennington.

I then crossed Brandon Middlebury/Lincoln and app gaps before getting into Waterbury.

Middlebury gap does have 8 miles of packed and loose gravel from 100 to the top of the gap. I put the MTS Computer into Enduro mode and went forward. It was very passable with some patience and care to avoid the slippery mud and gravel sections and stay in well packed lanes. Would have been less eventful if It did not rain earlier. When I planned the route I wanted some hard packed unpaved roads, and turned onto Lincoln road and then Notch road. Here I was kept awake by deer jumping across the road a few times.
    Avoid notch road!!! It is being re graded and when I rode it today there were long sections where dirt was freshly dumped and spread to a couple of inches deep but had not been packed by heavy equipment. This was the white knuckles part of the ride today. Descending into the valley I stopped in to say hello at cyclewise Ducati. From there it was a fun and uneventful ride through the app gap and onto Waterbury.

Checked out prohibition pig restaurant in downtown Waterbury, and highly recommend. They offer fresh, local, fare specializing in smoked meat and their own draught beers. Their porter was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by trider143 View Post
    Checked out Prohibition Pig restaurant in downtown Waterbury, and highly recommend. They offer fresh, local, fare specializing in smoked meat and their own draught beers. Their porter was excellent.
    I was there last week for my wedding anniversary. Panko Fried Pimento Cheese appetizer, Hoosier Daddy pork loin sandwich, Cheddar grits, and their own vanilla bean Porter. Combined with their BBQ sauces on the table, the flavors were strong enough that I was satiated.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Oh my. If I had gone with my original Appalachia plan I would have in the white sulphur springs area of WV. Check out weather channel and the news for horrific flooding in that region today!! I chose wisely, or luckily, either way...