Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Minuteman 1000 and the Green Mountain 400, June 7 - 8

Minuteman 1000 and the Green Mountain 400, June 7 - 8

The Minuteman 1000 and the Green Mountain 400 are Iron Butt style rallies being run out of Greenfield, MA. This is the direction I am moving in as far as competing goes.

I rode an 800 mile day a few years back, phew! I am very interested in getting my Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 certificate.

Is anyone else interested in this sort of riding? Would there be any intersat in an NESR entry?

From the main page of the site: The Minuteman 1000 is a 24 hr event modeled after the famous Iron Butt Rally. Riders have a choice of completing a fixed route (The Saddle Sore 1000) of just over 1,000 miles or riding in an open rally where riders choose their own route based on the locations they wish to visit. Riders who complete the fixed route ride can receive their Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 certificate at the awards brunch following the ride.

The Minuteman 1000 and the Green Mountain 400 are both rides tailored to the new rally rider or the first time Saddle Sore participant. Once registered, riders will be offered membership in the MM1K on-line discussion group which is a good place to pick up information on the rally and long distance riding.

The Green Mountain 400 is a 10 hour ride using the same rules as the Minuteman 1000. This year the Green Mountain 400 is open to vintage machines (pre 1983) of any manufacture. At the completion of the ride we will have a bike show and dinner under the big top which is adjacent to the show area.

For 2008 the Minuteman 1000 and the Green Mountain 400 will both be held on the same day which is June 7

Registration for both events is open.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Re: Minuteman 1000 and the Green Mountain 400, June 7 - 8

TSD rallies promote hazardous riding.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    TSD?

I would wonder at a "sportriding" V. TSD in term of Hours of Exposure. Or racing for that matter.

A

They're dangerous. That's enough to keep me away!

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

The 800 mile day I did was manageable. Granted a lot of it was in way up in Quebec. It wasn't that uncommon to get passed on the highway when going 100MPH. I don't think I ever passed anyone going 90. Average speed seemed like 95.

So overall, the 800 I did was over quick, it was all on highways. So, I don't know if it will compare to this. Up there it was sort of unsafe going 70. People passed me like I was stopped.

Anyhow, it's been a goal of mine to do a Saddle Sore. I am not sure about "pushing my limits" at the track for a day or two v. riding 1000 miles. I think people are pretty tired by their last session.

Maybe I should try the 400 first.

A

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    I dont understand what TSD is...?

As far as Iron Butts and the like, I used to be intrigued but have concluded that they are really just events sponsored by tire manfactureres to flat spot perfectly good rubber prematurely!

I have ridden 800 mile days as a matter of course...back road, just touring. But doing these marathons require more planning and too many slab miles to entertain me!

...but, that's just me!!!

Wear what you want....
    ...ride how you want!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

TSD=Timed Speed/Distance

The basic rally boundaries will be the St. Lawrence Seaway, Atlantic Ocean, Hudson River and the Erie Canal. There just might be a bonus or two outside of these boundaries however the bulk of the rally will take place in New England.

and

You will not need a fuel cell, GPS or fancy gadgets to have a good time on the Minuteman 1000. Having said this you will benefit from a GPS, some bonus listings may include lat/lon info. Considering that riders will be spending most of their time in five states it would be reasonable to conclude that you could not have maps with too much detail for this region.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

A

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    they are really just events sponsored by tire manfactureres to flat spot perfectly good rubber prematurely!

Wear what you want....
    ...ride how you want!
    100% agreed. Most would have to buy a new rear sneaker just to flatten it. Plus I got a peanut for a bladder. I'd start getting mad...at myself...after the 5th of 6th stop. I'd also have to rig up a IV drip of espresso as I have a mad addiction, else I'd get a headache after about 3-4 hours.

...and my back wouldn't forgive me for a week or two.

...and I'm a big pussy.

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
    The 800 mile day I did was manageable. Granted a lot of it was in way up in Quebec. It wasn't that uncommon to get passed on the highway when going 100MPH. I don't think I ever passed anyone going 90. Average speed seemed like 95.

So overall, the 800 I did was over quick, it was all on highways. So, I don't know if it will compare to this. Up there it was sort of unsafe going 70. People passed me like I was stopped.

Anyhow, it's been a goal of mine to do a Saddle Sore. I am not sure about "pushing my limits" at the track for a day or two v. riding 1000 miles. I think people are pretty tired by their last session.

Maybe I should try the 400 first.

A

you should try not riding so fast, the key to endurance riding is steady consistent pace

I have ridden 1k on 24 several times, a pace of 75mph will get you there in 18-19 hrs, and you don't feel anywhere near as tired as doing it in 14

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    you should try not riding so fast, the key to endurance riding is steady consistent pace

I have ridden 1k on 24 several times, a pace of 75mph will get you there in 18-19 hrs, and you don't feel anywhere near as tired as doing it in 14
    Right, this was out in the middle of nowhere on the Canadian shield. It's kind of like the Midwest up there. So, nothing, 50 MPH and 100 MPH looked and felt pretty much the same. It was just that at 70 I would have logging tucks blow by me.

I more or less like to move a little faster than traffic. That meant about 100.

What was super strange was after a few days of this I got used to seeing the road rush up to me and got even more used to the sound of the engine. I wound up either winding out out massively in 2nd or 3rd gear or just cranking at Waaaay above the speed limit.

While this was kind of OK in the north country it made no sense at all in VT.

But yes, I take your point. Maintining that in the New England would wear me out in an hour.

A~

Last edited by taxonomy; 04-15-08 at 09:34 PM.