Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Planning a 3 Day New England Tour...

Planning a 3 Day New England Tour...

Hey everyone, new to the forums and figured you guys could help me and a couple of buddies get started in planning a day trip through New England.

The rough plan so far is:

9/11 - Leave from Boston and take route 1 up the Maine Coast
    Head west from Camden, ME to do the Kanc loop.
    Head west to Burlington, VT
    Follow the Adirondack national park south until Albany
    East from Albany back to Boston.

The trip should be roughly 850 miles and would likely be done over the course of 3-4 days.

The is the first such trip any of us have planned or participated in so more than specific deals for the moment, I was hoping you could help point out any particularly helpful resources to plan the trip.

Keys to an enjoyable trip will be taking the right roads, finding good and cheap attractions along the way, and making cheap hotel reservations.

Any input?

Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.151 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sounds like fun too bad ill be working!

Mike (Stan) Facebook username = MJStanley508
    2006 Suzuki GSXR 600
    Yoshi R-55 Slip-on, PUIG rear hugger, PUIG windscreen, Pazzo levers, 6k HID kit

Re: Planning a 3 Day New England Tour...

Skip the Maine part...and the NH part too.

Set your sights on the VT Gaps for the first day. End the day doing Smugglers Notch (108) out of Stowe and spend the first night in Burlington.

Take the Ferry from Burlington to NY the second morning. Then ride the DAKS all around and end up in Lake Placid. (I like to stay at the Crowne Plaza...great views and nice walk do downtown) The next day head to Ft. Ticondaroga and take the Ferry to Vt. All nice roads from there back home...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I'm on the NY side of said ferry, and don't mind playing tour guide.

Are you sight seeing or riding on the edge of your seat where the road is all you'll be looking at?

If you're sight seeing, you may want to pass on the ferry and head up Rt. 2, right through the middle of lake Champlain and spend the night there. That will give you access to the top of the Adirondacks in the morning. There are easily 2 days worth of riding in the Adirondacks.

If you're looking for the twistiest of roads, I would head up rt. 100 and pass back and forth through the Green mountains on 73 and 125. I would end your northern path on Rt. 17. If you don't mind a lil' dirt, do an up and back on Rt. 17 then drop back south and head west over Lincoln Gap. That will put you in Middlebury, VT for the night where there are plenty of beds and food. In the morning it's off to the Adirondacks where you'll find twisties that make NH and VT roads look straight.

Enjoy!

Wow, lots of great input, thanks.

I'm planning on doing the ride with a buddy from NC (right by the dragon) that has never been to New England.

So to answer the common question, we're going for good twisty roads but I wouldn't mind showing him some New England attractions (coast of Maine, Mt Washington, and Kanc).

Now, we're both on sport bikes (monster, and gsx-r) so I was planning on using the attractions for needed rest and stretching.

Interesting advice about riding VT and the Adirondacks.

Any great attractions out there?

If you can get out to Thousand Islands and just across the border into Canada theres the Sky Tower. Back in Lake Placid theres the Olympic Village Ski Jump Complex.

As an option, on your way back, you could stop in New Hyde Park and visit the Vanderbuilt and Roosevelt Mansions.

The riding in the DAKS is fabulous. Alexandria in Thousand Islands is a funkly lakeside town...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.