Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Random Ride Report

Random Ride Report

I rolled into Seacoast at about 9:15 and there were already a half dozen riders milling about. And another half dozen customers were lined up for service! It was just chilly enough that you knew it was still spring and while overcast, we had every reason to believe the sun would make an earnest appearance before too long.

By the time we held the riders meeting there were 32 bikes and 34 bikers.

Our route took us east from Seacoast on a series of nice rural roads and eventually north through Chester and Deerfield and then west past Bear Brook Park. Other than Pete losing his radar detector the group stayed together and the weather remained mostly unchanged.

About 6 or 7 of us had Chatterboxs, including our intrepid and professional Sweep, "Samwise the Tiger". Having com does change the nature of a large ride, reducing the waiting time at intersections and making the bon of the leader much easier.

Without tires touching a 'highway' we continued on to Henniker for Lunch at the Intervale Pancake House. I had called earlier in the week telling them that we'd arrive around noon with ~15 folks. Fortunately, I called from Seacoast before we left, telling them we'd be closer to 25!

When we arrived with 34 they didn't even blink and we all got seated right away!

(Trying to get the whole group together for a picture wasn't possible. Apparently, a dozen of the participants are either on the 'most wanted' list or had to use the facilities so badly they could't wait....here's 22 or the 34!

It took about an hour for us all to be served!

Big thanks to Joe for buying my lunch! Unneccesary and unexpected....!

A few of the group headed their separate ways after lunch and the rest of us headed over and around Pats Peak. Unfortunately, we didn't get very far on the intended route. What looked to be a pretty bad house fire had emergency vehicles and fire engines ripping past us on the narrow road and we were eventually turned around by an officer who told us the road was closed ahead.

Without too much fuss my Garmin readjusted and we rode through Henniker then along the river and on to Rt. 202. At I pulled over to regroup a rider on an ST3 pointed to his front tire which was ominously low. We agreed that I would lead the group ahead to the next gas station then ride back and let him know how far it was.

Turns out that less than 1/2 mile ahead was a two pump, unmanned gas station with all three grades of gas.

I filled up while a minor revolt brewed around in protest to the smallness of the refuling station. Once I realized what was happening I explained to everyone that we needed to fix a flat tire which was why I had stopped there. Just then, our ST3 rider limped in.

Between McBride and myself we soon had him sorted out. Much was which was spent looking for a leak in the tire. It wasn't until we'd gone round and round a few times that we though to check the valve. Thanks to McBride, we replace his leaky valve core and thanks to me, we got him pumped back up. All told, maybe 15 minutes!

BTW - lesson learned. You should always have a valve CAP. Check your tires often. A metal cap with a seal is better than the plastic caps. The former will actuall help hold air even with a bad core. The latter is little more than a dust cover!

Everyone gased up and off we went! By now the sun was out in full force and the weather had reached the state we had been expecting. It was warm enough to shed a layer or two and the spring light raised spirits for the day and anticipation of a whole season of great riding!

Through Hillsboro, Antrim, Hancock, Peterborough and on to Miller State Park. There is a cool road that goes to the summit of Pack Monadnock and a fire tower at the top that offers splendid views. On a clear day you can see Boston. It was too early in the season however, so the road was closed. We took a break. Took some pics. And had a discussion about who's going where from here!

We left Miller and about half the group stayed on 101 headed for various home destiniations...and a 'pahty' at Kens apparently!

A core group of hard core stayed with me.

And guess what.

No more that 2 miles later we were on dirt!

Once again, the Garmin failed me (or I failed it..) and my route had me turning on to a dirt road off of 101. I almost turned back but as I looked down at the shady canopy and the well groomed and packed road I thought, why not!

The rest of the ride was an adventure and a confirmation of the value of great communications.

About a mile in, the call came forward that we had a flat tire. Yes...another one.

We regrouped around Bill and his wife riding 2 up on his Multi1200. This time, it turned out to be a small cut. Out came the plug kits and the pump. After debating various options, we went for the 'mushroom' plug. Pumped back up and on our way in no time.

For another quarter mile. When the call was repeated! The mushroom plug failed - we think because it was a cut not a round hole.

This time we opted for the gummy string plug. Put one in. Still leaking. Put another next to it...this time following the directions explicitly. Success! Bill made it home with no further problems!

(And...someone observed that both bikes with the tire problems were Ducatis!
    Flame on...!)

Another two miles on dirt then back on pavement into Wilton! Another group dicsussion and we all rode out on to 101. Several of us rode throught Nashua and the rest continued northeast to Manchvegas!

All told a fantastic start to the Seacoast Season!

Next month, May 14th, is the Ride to the Races! Hope to see some of you then!

Thanks to everyone for being great riders. Thanks to the new folks for joining us...hope you enjoyed yourselves! And thanks to all the vets for your good help, good humor, and showing that a big ride can be fun and safe at the same time!!!

Ride often...
    ...ride safe!

Dave

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 05-02-11 at 06:53 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Random Ride Report

Sounds like a great ride. I wish I could have made it but my bike's still in track trim, had a busy week.

thanks again for the great ride Dave!
    I will be hitting a lot more rides this year.

Nothing beats being prepared. Great write up and sounds like you held up to your reputation and led an excellent ride. I look forward to seeing you this season.

Thanks Dave!

Vicki

Awesome ride!
    A great mix of fun, adventure and education.
    Thank you!

Sam

Lots of familiar faces and bikes there!!

Looks like it was a blasty-blast!

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Another great ride. Way to go Dave!

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Great ride Dave!
    Good seeing some old familiar faces!
    Several new faces and all welcome!
    A couple notable missing faces
    Hope to see them back soon.

YEah I had a small BBQ. Five riders and my mom!

Riding "The Widow Maker" LiterR1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger157 View Post
    Great ride Dave!
    Good seeing some old familiar faces!
    Several new faces and all welcome!
    A couple notable missing faces
    Hope to see them back soon.
    Hopefully will be back on the Next ride

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    Talk about good riders... you are one fun guy to ride with!!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    So uhh... Greg... What ya lookin at?

If you ain't first......you're last!

Busted... I talked to her at the counter before we left and as suspected turned out to be 17.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr_chick_nh View Post
    So uhh... Greg... What ya lookin at?
    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Busted... I talked to her at the counter before we left and as suspected turned out to be 17.
    Bahaahahahah.....This picture made me laugh. Gregs face lol!!!

I said bye to her after as well.....

We will just have to go back next year Greg ; )

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    wanna PM me her phone number?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Posting Freak

Looks like fun. And once again you guys roll right through my neck of the woods. I live about 5 minutes from miller state park

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger157 View Post
    That MOON is bright!
    That's my happy face.