Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The real cost of track days

Re: The real cost of track days

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    It's always tough to decide what items get a tab on left... give everything a tab and the list goes on forever.

We will be tweaking things over the winter and will consider some changes.

Thanks.
    I personally had no problem finding the prices. I just assume what would make it easier for the person who had a hard time doing so

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    what's the FAKE cost of track days?
    anything below all the money you make

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

When I went to the site a few weeks ago I did not see any prices (I believe it said you were negotiating them) and I read several posts which indicated there would be an increase. I was also only interested (at the time) in the price of the Ct Thompson track which I believe had not been fully worked out yet. I was also excited and may not have looked hard enough while reading all the stories and other things on the site so this is most likely my fault and not the sites. The final issue is I wanted some feed back from the people that ride the racks and what they think of the cost (all positive) of a track day so I could make a good case to the wife. We both work so I need her ok to spend the money for the time. She is 100% onboard with me doing a 2 day trip this year and possibly more depending on the budget. I am currently looking for full leathers and a back protector and will be browsing the FOR SALE section of this forum! Final quote "I will see you on the track!"

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    In an effort to help me improve the website... what made you believe this to be true?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just to clarify this statement I never said fake cost I wanted to know what to expect as far as money required to have a good fun day at the track. There is more than the entrance fee involved in going to the track for a day and everyone did a great job answering my question. I will not have to camp at the Thompson track because I live close enough but I now know if I want to go to NY or NJ what to expect. I am guessing that you were joking but I still wanted to be clear that I appreciate all the info I got back in response. Thanks again everyone.

da

Lifer

I have only opened my wallet a few times at the track. I show up with a sack lunch and more than enough fuel for the day.

Extras I have spent money on include track-side photos and quickie repairs courtesy of that lovely Street & Comp truck.

I am a huge sucker for track day photos. I budget $40 per event for John Owens, the pro photographer normally at TTD events. I have escaped one or two events without spending that, but only one or two.

By some miracle of whatever, I have spent a whopping total of $30 on track-side repairs. I have bought some tools from Miles to pad out the bill.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

By some miracle of whatever, I have spent a whopping total of $30 on track-side repairs. I have bought some tools from Miles to pad out the bill.

After 36 track days at locations from Florida to New Hampshire, my total track-side repairs total about $5.00 for a few lost bolts that fell off. I have been very lucky.

Lifer

Mostly I consider walking away getting "lucky". But minimal repairs doesn't hurt my feelings either.

One year ago at this time I had never put a machine on the ground at speed in something like 17 years of street riding. Now I've crashed four times, three @ NHMS. WTF happened to me?!

By the way, since we're talking "real" costs. I handed a physical therapist about $6-700 this year. I suppose that comes out of the track-day budget too.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Now I've crashed four times, three @ NHMS. WTF happened to me?!
    Guess the dirt riding ones don't count LOL

Lifer

Oh geez, if you're going to count those against me.. I've run out of fingers to count with.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    It's usually 200-300 average 250 for a trackday. Gas is about $100 for my truck and bike. Food is another 50 dollars including dinner the night before.$25 for camping per night. Rear tires last 3-4 trackdays and fronts are about double that. Oil changes every 2 or 3 trackdays. Broken parts are a toss up aswell as busted gear. I went through 2 sets of gloves this year @ $200 each and I need $4-500 in repairs on my suit this winter, plus I lost a brand new 400$ helmet. In repairs it was probably $5-800 for the season, but I don't count scratches. Now, all of the last costs can be avoided if you stay on 2 wheels
    At the risk of commenting on only this one thing, wtf did you do to blow through two pairs of $200 gloves? And, so I can continue to love my Knox Biomechs, what type of gloves were they so we can avoid them?

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
    She is 100% onboard with me doing a 2 day trip this year and possibly more depending on the budget. I am currently looking for full leathers and a back protector and will be browsing the FOR SALE section of this forum! Final quote "I will see you on the track!"
    Awesome!

Surf on your palms in just about any glove at 70+ and you'll be shopping for a new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Surf on your palms in just about any glove at 70+ and you'll be shopping for a new pair.
    My heroic sp-r's have sustained a few crashes with no damage. Just a little discoloration on the palms and the metal knuckle guards have s little paint scratched off.

Love those gloves.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I mention the kangaroo is comfortable as shit, too.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I've got a set of SP-Rs, currently my favorite glove. I have no delusions that they's survive another palm surfing superman off the back of a sidecar like the one that ate through the stingray on my Held Titans. Certain crashes are just going to eat gloves no matter how much you spent on them, I don't fault them for failing as long as they prevent injury while doing so. (Which my Titans did, they gave themselves up so my hands were untouched.)

Cortech Adrenine gloves survived 3 crashes at decent speeds. Last one was more brutal. Made a hole at the pinky but I still escaped scratch proof. I don't like the new ones though so now I have a pair of Sidis and A*. The alpinestars are awesome, just like any Alpinestars product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    At the risk of commenting on only this one thing, wtf did you do to blow through two pairs of $200 gloves? And, so I can continue to love my Knox Biomechs, what type of gloves were they so we can avoid them?
    Held phantoms, kobe race pro

I've gone through 5 pairs in 2 years of track riding. It seems every glove, cheap or expensive will blow apart if you hit the deck.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

I bought a used pair of gloves off someone on this forum. I can't even remember what brand they are. But they survived two pavement surfing session so far and look good-to-go for more.

I'm guessing it totally depends on the particulars of your surfing technique.

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

Held Phantoms, those are kangaroo leather.
    The textured part in the palm, I heard somewhere they use the kangaroo's scrotum.
    What more could you want between you and the pavement?
    The real cost of track days-held_phantom_gloves-3-jpg

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

FREE!!!

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

...nice oxx & tsorfas

OP - I was teasing you...when I saw the thread title, this is what I heard in my ridiculous head:

Quote Originally Posted by the REAL cost of track days
    TRACK DAYS: a 'safe haven' for sport bike & supermoto riders to experience the full capability of their bikes in a closed, controlled environment. Advertised as a way to save money over street racing, which is riddled with speeding tickets, license suspensions, and accidents that could potentially cost as much as your life. But from tires, to increased wear and tear on your bike, to crash repairs, & $250/day admission costs, are they really an inexpensive way to get your knee drag on?

60 minutes follows an expert trackday rider, only to be known as CBR_Knight, and we'll uncover all the hidden expenses of trackday riding, and tell you about the REAL cost of track days."
    not really into it anymore...only did a couple track days, but since then have stuck to the free admission to trails riding a dr200se...or $45 supermoto track days

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-28-13 at 11:55 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

...nice oxx & tsorfas

OP - I was teasing you...when I saw the thread title, this is what I heard in my ridiculous head:

not really into it anymore...only did a couple track days, but since then have stuck to the free admission to trails riding a dr200se...or $45 supermoto track days
    its no different than any other sport. the initial cost is usually quite high, then its just maintenance costs of continuing the sport (replacing equipment, upgrading, etc). then theres the cost of actually engaging in the activity which can and will vary depending on location.
    trail riding is usually cheap or free but so is hiking a mountain to ski down it. i realize that theres not much (if anything) in the way of trail riding "TDs" so offroad riding doesnt really compare to street bikes.
    while the idea of a "safe" environment to experiment with the limits of myself and my motorcycle is appealing, its also the company. its fun to be out there with your friends and pushing yourself and each other and then kicking around in the garage and laughing about it and helping each other that really brings it all together. is that worth the $250? i dont know about you, but it kinda is to me. riding the track is fun, riding the track with your buddies is even more fun. doing it in a place where the possibility of injury due to no fault of your own is greatly reduced, is the icing on the cake

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12