Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone Ride down in NE CT or South Central MA?

Anyone Ride down in NE CT or South Central MA?

I live in northeast CT and am always looking for people to ride with. It seems like most of you guys/gals are from Central Mass and north. I know I have seen one or two members from CT on here.
    It seems as though most of the people I ride with are the types that like to do 50-75 miles and drag it out all day with a huge lunch thrown in. I'm more of a ride all day with maybe a quick Subway or burger stop thrown in. I've got a Triumph Daytona and a Tiger 800, I mostly ride the Tiger now. I'm not a crazy fast rider or a slow rider, I'm good for about 10-15 over the posted limits usually.

Are there ever any group rides formed down this way?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Re: Anyone Ride down in NE CT or South Central MA?

Hey Jeff,
    I know there are a lot of us in the greater Boston area, and others spread out all over NE. I'd say my style of riding is pretty similar to you. I like to get a good pace going, but nothing too crazy. Like you said, 10-15 over posted limit. As the season gets started, there are tons of rides being put together. Just keep an eye out on the forum periodically for get togethers.
    Rob

Sounds good Rob, I will definitely keep my eye out for semi-local rides. I don't mind putting on some miles to get to a start location if the ride looks interesting enough.

Jeff

Jeff. I am just over in Pomfret not too far from Rucki's General Store. Drop me a pm if you want to ride sometime.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Sounds good csmutty...

I did get out for a nice solo ride today. The weather was perfect!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

im in RI but venture over to CT a lot to ride

Oh cool. Maybe same day we can meet up over at the Quaddick Reservoir in Thompson, CT and go for a ride. Pretty nice area out there if you've never been.

Jeff

I used to ride in CT a lot but ur state police doesn't like me much

I think most state cops dislike out of state bikers.

Jeff

Jeff, I think you need to be BoRN again... Move closer to where the food is!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    Jeff, I think you need to be BoRN again... Move closer to where the food is!
    So I've been told from others on here Kenn. To be honest, I'm not a fan of that religion if ya know what I mean.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    So I've been told from others on here Kenn. To be honest, I'm not a fan of that religion if ya know what I mean.

I hear ya my friend! I thought it was just me! LOL We have to do a Triumph Adventure ride soon as I get my Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    I hear ya my friend! I thought it was just me! LOL We have to do a Triumph Adventure ride soon as I get my Explorer.
    Nope, not just you. LOL. Yeah definitely Kenn, let me know when that Explorer comes in. Maybe I'll join in on some group rides before then...?

Jeff

if you can mosey on up for the RRR in April or the Seacoast ride to the races..

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I used to ride in CT a lot but ur state police doesn't like me much
    Why do you ride in areas where there are cops? There are many towns in NECT where there aren't any forces...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Why do you ride in areas where there are cops? There are many towns in NECT where there aren't any forces...
    Exactly. There is always bound to be a cop somewhere, that is the chance you take if you're breaking the law. Don't get me wrong, I break the law, I just try to break it as little as possible. Maybe old age has gotten the best of me?

Last edited by GearHd6; 03-15-12 at 10:56 AM.
    Jeff

Hypertarded

RI/CT border here, do most of my fun riding in CT, not even sure they have cops think I've run into 3 staties in the past 3 years riding in CT. At least nothing like here in RI, pass a cop every 9 minutes

On the 23rd I'm meeting up with a newbie rider from CT who wants to ride. Any interest in heading out west for the day? Start early at 9, meet up in Torrington, head out to NY/MA/ back home around 5?

I'm also off the 21st and 22 if the mood strikes you. Send me a PM.

I appreciate the offer 01xj but I'm down south on vacation and won't be back until late day on the 24th. I would have definitely been interested if I were around then. Keep my in mind for any other rides though.

Jeff

My new ride looks remarkably like yours. In fact, they are the exact same make, model, year and color.

I do not yet have any luggage, though I am eying the two-pannier kit from Triumph because the mounting system isn't so damn fugly as the other choices for the 92% of the time that I wouldn't have the giant boxes on the bike.

Let me know when you're up for a little Saturday or Sunday ride-around. I don't mind heading down to the Bean to meet up.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

How have you liked the bike? Any issues? Mine has been great other than the stalling issue, that is now cured with the updated map. I had tweaked he original map with TuneECU to cure the stalling while waiting for Triumph to come up with the recall map.

I've got both the Triumph panniers and the top box. I mostly just run the top box and only use the panniers for multi day trips. They both work excellent and haven't leaked a drop of water in them even after riding in a monsoon. But, if I were doing true adventure/off road riding I would opt for something aluminum. Something like this. http://holanusa.com/holan-nomada-pro...tiger-800.html

Once the weather gets back to being decent I'll be up for a weekend ride for sure. I'm not far from the Bean at all.

Jeff

Nice panniers, the Holan, but it's that massive bracketry that I dislike so much. I'm sure the factory stuff will be fine for me, though I'm not inclined to need any more space than the panniers. I've already got just a bit too much top-heavy weight on my bike with my fat ass in the saddle, don't need to worsen it with weight in a top box. For day rides I have the "City" tank bag and that's all I need. My previous ride was a 2005 Tiger 955, and I tried a top box once. It's just not for me. I had the excellent Triumph soft panniers for my Sprint RS and that was plenty of room. The panniers on the Tiger 955 had room to spare. Perhaps if I was running cross country I might get the big soft tailpack Triumph offers, but that's not a likely event for me.

If you ever find my Tiger off-roading, it's probably time to call for emergency services. Some of the dirt roads in Vermont that you can run at 50+ mph, maybe. True off-road, not why I specifically shopped for a Roadie version.

I've really only got ONE 60-mile/1-hour ride on the bike as yet. I picked it up Thursday and this would have been a day to get out riding, if it wasn't snowing this morning. My initial impressions are that it has very nearly the same power as my Sprint RS did, a little less torque than the Tiger 955. It's feeling about 100 pounds lighter than the big Tiger, and that's what I really was hoping for. The weight of that thing at near-static is what scared me...to a degree. I just never really felt comfortable on it. This is SO much better in that respect.

We'll get together soon. I'm in for the Bennington thing, are you?

Later,

Ken

Yeah I really like the Holans. I don't think I'd do serious off roading but I think it could do it in a pinch with some knobbies installed. I ride my bike to work a lot so the top box works out perfect for packing sweatshirts and my lunch and then storing most of my riding gear while I'm at work.

Oh right, I forgot you mentioned on the other forum that you had just gotten the bike. I'm sure you've got the latest map installed already and won't have any issues. I got my bike last May and it had the early map before they worked the bugs out.

I've also got a 98 Daytona with the 955 and the power is no comparison. The fueling is much nicer with Keihin injection over the old Sagem injection.

I have thought about the Bennington Bash but I haven't made a decision yet. Do you stay in a motel or do you camp?

Here are the both of them.

Last edited by GearHd6; 03-31-12 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added Pic
    Jeff

Already got a room reserved at the Paradise Inn. I'm fiddytwo and soft. You will NOT find me camping. I insist upon a place to have a hot shower without fear of what could happen if I drop the soap, and a warm bed without fear of how things can change in the middle of the day/night/event when the skies open up. Most importantly, I like to walk to a restaurant to have hot food and cold beer rather than making fires and trying to keep beer cold.

I'm just too much a city guy/old farte to be roughing it.