Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94

The Rock Pile

  1. #1
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    The Rock Pile

    I've got the itch to take the Street Glide up Mt. Washington Auto Road next week. Most likely Wednesday or Thursday, the 6th or 7th.

    Takes me about 2-1/2 - 3 hours from my driveway to the base depending on which way I take, traffic, gas, stops, etc. If I remember, it's $25/motorcycle & operator and $20 per passenger (peak season).

    The Street Glide is the only street bike I've owned that I haven't taken up the mountain. The Low Rider doesn't count 'cuz I didn't have it long enough. I've even taken the Arctic Cat 400 & my Raptor 700 on the Auto Road.

    The road is fully paved now from top to bottom so if that's what always stopped you, you're good now! Right now I'm thinking I'll shove off between 9:00-10:00 and take the most direct for me route up. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle at that time of day, but we shall see. I'll most likely take Route 153 south from Conway to avoid the afternoon mess that's sure to be.

    My day choices are pretty much set in stone, but I can swing either way on the timing.

    *Edited for correct days & dates...

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  2. #2
    Lifer jimmycapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NW CT
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Such an awesome ride. For 5 years in a row, I ended up riding to the top. Missed it last year, and probably this one. Always an amazing experience.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: The Rock Pile

    I havent been in years but i would be interesting to take the wifes electric car up there, and see how much it gain back in regen braking on the way down.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Such an awesome ride. For 5 years in a row, I ended up riding to the top. Missed it last year, and probably this one. Always an amazing experience.
    I used to do it at least once a year on a bike. I can't remember the last time I've done it in a car/truck. I used to lead a ride during the week of Stonnerstock to the mountain and up the Auto Road. It was during the week of Bike Week and we'd avoid the bike only days.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  5. #5
    Lifer TIMMYDUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The 14th State Vermont
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Interested .

    Would have to be the 6th for me though.

    I’m coming over anyways for a weeks worth of concerts at the Bank of NH Pavillion starting on the evening of the 7th .

    Let me work out some details so John boy and I can participate.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

  6. #6
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,343

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I havent been in years but i would be interesting to take the wifes electric car up there, and see how much it gain back in regen braking on the way down.
    Or you could not be such a fucking dork and buy a motorcycle to ride up there instead

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Interested .

    Would have to be the 6th for me though.

    I’m coming over anyways for a weeks worth of concerts at the Bank of NH Pavillion starting on the evening of the 7th .

    Let me work out some details so John boy and I can participate.
    I'll keep that date in mind. Are you working or playing there? We'll be there this Friday (big whoop), the 22nd & the 25th.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  8. #8
    Lifer TIMMYDUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The 14th State Vermont
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Spoke with John Boy .

    We are in for the 6th .

    It’s also his birthday.

    Meet up our way ?

    Say the Tilton Diner Exit 20 off 93 .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

  9. #9
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Spoke with John Boy .

    We are in for the 6th .

    It’s also his birthday.

    Meet up our way ?

    Say the Tilton Diner Exit 20 off 93 .
    We have a few days to work out the details...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  10. #10
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    16,159

    Re: The Rock Pile

    I might ride along if I get my Silverado back. Don't really want to ride my K-Pipe that far, but the ride up the auto-road interests me

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  11. #11
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,516

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I've got the itch to take the Street Glide up Mt. Washington Auto Road next week. Most likely Tuesday or Wednesday, the 5th or 6th.

    Takes me about 2-1/2 - 3 hours from my driveway to the base depending on which way I take, traffic, gas, stops, etc. If I remember, it's $25/motorcycle & operator and $20 per passenger (peak season).

    The Street Glide is the only street bike I've owned that I haven't taken up the mountain. The Low Rider doesn't count 'cuz I didn't have it long enough. I've even taken the Arctic Cat 400 & my Raptor 700 on the Auto Road.

    The road is fully paved now from top to bottom so if that's what always stopped you, you're good now! Right now I'm thinking I'll shove off between 9:00-10:00 and take the most direct for me route up. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle at that time of day, but we shall see. I'll most likely take Route 153 south from Conway to avoid the afternoon mess that's sure to be.

    My day choices are pretty much set in stone, but I can swing either way on the timing.
    I've taken pretty much every bike up as well. The Honda F6B and Triumph Rocket Touring were "interesting" on the unpaved sections.

    I'm actually disappointed they paved everything, the gravel made it a bit of an adventure.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I might ride along if I get my Silverado back. Don't really want to ride my K-Pipe that far, but the ride up the auto-road interests me
    Does that mean you'd drive the truck up, or would you haul the K-Pipe up and ride that from the base?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  13. #13
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    16,159

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Does that mean you'd drive the truck up, or would you haul the K-Pipe up and ride that from the base?
    haul the k-pipe and ride that from the base, I spose I could haul it with my Tacoma, but I would have to take the cap off

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  14. #14
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    12,314

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Interested, unfortunately Sunapee isn’t much closer than Boston and that’s a lot of riding for me in one day.

    Maybe I’ll see if I can stay in the area.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Newton's Third Law of Stupid. For each fact there exists an equal and opposite alternative fact.

  15. #15
    Old and Slow Sheppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westford, Ma
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,406

    Re: The Rock Pile

    I ride it every year. This year I'll borrow a bike to keep my streak going. You need to ride up and watch the sunrise. 7/26 this year. THAT is the best.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

    Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

    Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......


  16. #16
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Interested, unfortunately Sunapee isn’t much closer than Boston and that’s a lot of riding for me in one day.

    Maybe I’ll see if I can stay in the area.
    I'm guessing your distance from Sunapee Lake is about the same as mine from the Barnsteads?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    I ride it every year. This year I'll borrow a bike to keep my streak going. You need to ride up and watch the sunrise. 7/26 this year. THAT is the best.
    I wish I could swing that. Ain't happening this year, but it's on the list.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  17. #17
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    12,314

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I'm guessing your distance from Sunapee Lake is about the same as mine from the Barnsteads?
    .
    Google maps says 2:17 from Barnstead vs 3:07 from Goshen or 3:30 from Boston. Want to enjoy the ride.

    There are some relatively inexpensive motels in the area.

    Is the day pinned down?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Newton's Third Law of Stupid. For each fact there exists an equal and opposite alternative fact.

  18. #18
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Google maps says 2:17 from Barnstead vs 3:07 from Goshen or 3:30 from Boston. Want to enjoy the ride.

    There are some relatively inexpensive motels in the area.

    Is the day pinned down?
    Yeah, I wasn't sure of your exact location so I just Googled Sunapee Lake.

    No, unfortunately the day isn't pinned down yet. There's a couple things I need to deal with bike-wise and Corvette wise. I have to figure that out before I can pinpoint which day it'll be.

    Also waiting for Big Shirl to solidify her schedule for next week too. She's been getting some anxiety spells about being on the bike, so I want to make sure I plan it for a day she's working, which is usually those two days. Just wanna make sure.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  19. #19
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I havent been in years but i would be interesting to take the wifes electric car up there, and see how much it gain back in regen braking on the way down.
    Apparently they have hydroelectric vehicle chargers there...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  20. #20
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    16,159

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Does that mean you'd drive the truck up, or would you haul the K-Pipe up and ride that from the base?
    only real reason I wouldn't ride my k-pipe from here to base is travelling with faster traffic, even though it's capable now, I like to keep average speed under 50, I'd also carry spare gas

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  21. #21
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,516

    Re: The Rock Pile

    I”m an hour from the auto road entrance.

    I’ll be in Maine 7/5 - 7/8 and riding every day.

    Gman, you can crash at my place if you’d like.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    16,159

    Re: The Rock Pile


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  23. #23
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    12,314

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't sure of your exact location so I just Googled Sunapee Lake.

    No, unfortunately the day isn't pinned down yet. There's a couple things I need to deal with bike-wise and Corvette wise. I have to figure that out before I can pinpoint which day it'll be.

    Also waiting for Big Shirl to solidify her schedule for next week too. She's been getting some anxiety spells about being on the bike, so I want to make sure I plan it for a day she's working, which is usually those two days. Just wanna make sure.
    But this will be 4th of July week, or the week following?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Newton's Third Law of Stupid. For each fact there exists an equal and opposite alternative fact.

  24. #24
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    But this will be 4th of July week, or the week following?
    Definitely the week of the 4th. Either Wednesday or Thursday, the 6th or 7th.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  25. #25
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,127,068

    Re: The Rock Pile

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I may take a similar route south from the mountain or even utilize the 113's. Heading up, the most direct way will likely be the route for me. I'll figure all that out soon enough.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •