Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

route 2 hairpin

route 2 hairpin

I thought this was going to be lots of fun, but it's just so sharp, it's on a hill, and the uphill side has a deep scrape which can be dangerous. Frankly, the 2-3 miles that precede (from the eastbound side) are more fun IMHO.

Do you guys think this is a really fun turn? Does it become more fun after multiple runs? How fast can you go?

When I tried it, I was in 1st gear, hardly going fast at all, and the bike was hesitating/jerking because it wasn't revved out enough.

Oh, and not a single one of my friends is capable of zooming in (or finding the right angle) when taking a picture of me riding, so this is as good as it's going to get. If you can't see it, it's off my webspace.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

route 2 hairpin

I'm so not a fan of this turn. Especially since big rigs ride this road. Plus, if any liquids from vehicles get on the ground, fuhgedaboudit. It can be dangerous all around in my opinion. Just need to take it slow and controlled to be safe.

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

route 2 hairpin

Ran through that yesterday going down hill, Not real fast at all, but in second gear so the corner is smoother and not so jerky as first. You are right the few mile before coming out of florida are much better. Then once you get through north adams the section that leads out int NY is kick ass.

Last summer we took the dual sports out there from a campground we were staying at on the deerfield river.

Going down hill was un eventful. But I came in smooth going back up hill and really cranked the throttle , broke the rear end free and flat tracked it around the corner with my MX boot on the ground so a shower of sparks came off the toe piece. I didn't do it on purpose but once the rear got loose it was best to ride it out instead of highsiding. I looked in my mirror once I got through , and the folks on the deck of the resturant were on their feet to watch.

Its cool to say you did it a few times but there are much better roads out that way to ride on . Especially since unless its early in the am rt 2 can be trafficy.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

route 2 hairpin

I was out there this weekend going east and I was not ready for it. but It looks like alot of fun if I new it was there. the way the arrows were set up I thought the hair pin was going the other way. oooop's

no regrets!!! life is just too short

01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

route 2 hairpin

Kinda like a hate/love situation....I think it's kinda cool to take the turn, but at the same time, you never know what might happen and bring you donw (crap on the road, stupid drivers, etc. ) I took it yesterday and did just fine in 2nd gear.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

route 2 hairpin

I was stuck behind a few cars on the way down, but I took it at probably 5k in second, looked through the turn and got good and low on it again. If you have a clear line of site, especially coming downhill to confirm theres no oncoming traffic, theres no reason really to be hesitant of it. If theres traffic coming the other direction, or stacked up ahead or behind me, I'll just putt-putt through it.

Its not a corner I'd be a big fan of if I didnt have the opportunity to ride it so often, being so close to it, so for someone who may go through there 2-3 times a year, if that, I can see why it might be kind of hairy.

Plus its kind of imposing coming up to it seeing all kinds of shit in the road, you dont know if its antifreeze, oil, water, just a skid mark, whatever.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

route 2 hairpin

That corner is as greasy as they come. If you push it through there you are asking for trouble!

The best stretch of Rt. 2 by far is the section that runs into NY. From there you have a number of great roads to choose from.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

route 2 hairpin

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    That corner is as greasy as they come. If you push it through there you are asking for trouble!

The best stretch of Rt. 2 by far is the section that runs into NY. From there you have a number of great roads to choose from.
    I chose 22 south, which had to be the flattest, straighest state route I've ever taken, aside from Rt. 119 east of Rindge, NH. From 22 south, 43 to 66 was a great choice though, 66 rocks!

route 2 hairpin

Try doubling your speed on Rt. 22. That makes it a little more interesting!

I agree that 22 is fairly boring. It does however bring you to quite a few decent riding areas in NY.

Just look for county roads while in NY (look for the little county road signs). They are everywhere and a lot of them are a blast and most bring you through very scenic areas.

route 2 hairpin

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    Try doubling your speed on Rt. 22. That makes it a little more interesting!

I agree that 22 is fairly boring. It does however bring you to quite a few decent riding areas in NY.

Just look for county roads while in NY (look for the little county road signs). They are everywhere and a lot of them are a blast and most bring you through very scenic areas.
    Is that what those little blue route signs were?

Now I know! Thanks Bill!

Regardless, I'm glad I stumbled onto 66, great little road there for a good number of miles.

route 2 hairpin

Originally posted by JeffL
    Is that what those little blue route signs were?

Yessir! That's what the little signs are!

The best thing to do is look at maps of the area along side a good topographic map. You can find a lot of them that are fairly steep and twisty. Every now and then I head out that way and just take random roads to see what they are like.

I found one that was freshly paved, steep, and twisty, for about 6 miles and then it turned to dirt. The dirt then dead ended a mile and a half after that. The best part is you could ride all the way back to the main road and then turn around and tear it up again knowing that no cops had gone past you!