Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Adventures in Motorcycling,,

Had a great ride today, I went with one of the guys who work for me in the shop. Ray, Big time stunt rider and nationally ranked Trials rider,, every once in awhile he rides with me,just to be nice. We headed off to Pa… Just south of me is some really great riding, I mean great roads, no traffic and no cops. The roads were still covered with sand in a lot of spots, there was a lane from the tire tracks of the cars that was about 3 feet wide, good chance to practice perfection in your turns, Enough sand was on the road that there was no room to blow any corners, Most of the roads are posted 45mph,, If you keep it around 75 to 80 mph you can have fun and still be reasonable.. We took it kind of easy down to the State park area, it is about 110 miles from where I live to the park area. Roads to get there aren’t bad at all, a lot like some of the roads in northern Vt. Fast, sweeps with a few really nice corners every few miles. We fueled up and had lunch in a small town before hitting the park area. Temps were in the fifties so it wasn’t bad, tires warmed up with enough work to make them stick. We were roaring down the road, a little over 100 mph in one of the smoother sections of the road, I had just laided into a nice left handed sweeping corner when my bike coughed and the back tire chirped and my FZR did it’s best to give me a shake. First thought was that I was out of fuel, I had just filled up so that was out of the question… bike then coughed one more time and died,, This is not good was my first thought. I looked at the odometer.. It said I was 158 miles from home, in the middle of nowhere, no cell phone coverage. First thought was clogged fuel filter,, Nope, next was a dead short..,Nope, I still had lights and gauges.. but they were weak. Turns out that my alternator had quite, no fuel pump.. I disconnected the head lights, tail lights, turn signals and hoped it had enough batter to run the fuel pump with out all of the lights hooked up. I got my cycle jump started and was off again, We looked the map and took a different route back, new to me, but more direct route home instead of the one we planned. Bike ran great, I gave up the lead to Ray figuring better to have him out front with his head lights on. We made it another 50 miles up some really great roads before my bike quit again. I had just happen to have a piece of wire under my seat, I had had problems with my switch and carried some wire with me just in case,, good thing, We made up some jumper wires to go from my bike to Rays battery, we parked side by side and he disconnected his lights so that his alternator would charge my battery,, it worked great, we made it another 50 miles before it ran out of juice and did the process all over again,, It took a total of two more stops to get us home.. All in all we had a great ride, it felt so good to get some miles on the bike and get some road time,, total distance was 369 miles, our average speed was 64.8 miles per hour Max speed was 133.4 mph. according to my Sigma, . In the one spot Ray and I decided to have a fast long run on one of the long stretches of road; I had actually started it my roaring by him to tease him, I no more than got by him before he pulled out and dialed up his GSXR 1100 it has had some motor work done and is making 165hp to the rear wheel,, so I didn’t have a chance. He walked away from me and was soon a good 150 yards ahead of me when my bike died again,, What other sport can you have break downs in and still have this much fun,, The riding is really great around here.. I was thinking that if it wasn’t to far for a bunch of you Northeastern guys that I should host a two day weekend here, I have enough room, a great place to swim and good sized house and plenty of room to camp.. I don’t think I am more than 340 to 360 miles from Boston.. Shame to let all this great roads go un-noticed and un- appreciated .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

Sweet story! I'll have to remember to keep wire with me just in case! What year is his gsxr some guy went blasting by me on the highway saturday I think he was testing his high speed tuck because he went by me about 100mph and I was going 85.

It is a 93 1100 it has had a ton of motor work done to it, it is by far the fastest bike I have ever ridden, It use to belong to me, now Ray is just making payments to me. For Richs comment about making a trip out here, I am in the heart of tourist land, The Watkins Glen Race track is near the house, there is a ton of stuff to do here besides ride,, I figure if I can ride to New England It couldn't be that far for someone else.. I am always looking for a place to go and figured it would just be an option for anyone else who might be interested,,

Bob, you lawbreaker you. 75-80 in a 45. You keep riding like that mister and you're going to get a reputation. trust me, I know. here it's ok, other places, chastise city. So how the hell have you been. Long time no see, since the VT rip up Rt. 125 I think.

How close are you to the Americade Rally. Yeah, I know it's a touring thing, but I've never been so some of us are thinking of doing a 3 day 2 night trip. Care to become a Motel 6? lol. We could use a "good" tour guide, since following the wide load Honda Goldwings with their own trailers in tow probably won't be much fun. (no, I'm not talking about the wide passengers that most of them will also be carrying ) Anyway, that's June 3-8 and we are planning on being out there June 6-8, weather permitting.

Chuck
    '02 Ducati 998S Bostrom

Bob, you lawbreaker you. 75-80 in a 45. You keep riding like that mister and you're going to get a reputation. trust me, I know. here it's ok, other places, chastise city. So how the hell have you been. Long time no see, since the VT rip up Rt. 125 I think.

How close are you to the Americade Rally. Yeah, I know it's a touring thing, but I've never been so some of us are thinking of doing a 3 day 2 night trip. Care to become a Motel 6? lol. We could use a "good" tour guide, since following the wide load Honda Goldwings with their own trailers in tow probably won't be much fun. (no, I'm not talking about the wide passengers that most of them will also be carrying ) Anyway, that's June 3-8 and we are planning on being out there June 6-8, weather permitting.

Chuck
    '02 Ducati 998S Bostrom
    I have been fine Chuck, Thanks for asking. I am about 4 hours from Lake George area, West and south. If you look for Seneca lake on a map you will see the town of Montour falls right below it. Check out this link it will give you a good idea of what is
    here.

http://www.schuylerny.com/tourism/

Guests are always welcome here, I have a private beach and swimming area, lots of room to camp, good size house if it rains, let me know what dates, there are some great areas for riding around here and the trip from Lake George to here through Adorondacks is real nice

[Edited on 4/3/02 by plasticweld]