Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Seacoast / Fund Raiser - Final Ride Report!

Seacoast / Fund Raiser - Final Ride Report!

After several weather bombs postponed the last Seacoast ride of the season, 26 riders enjoyed a great day on Saturday! And NESR was more than well represented!

I'd like to start by thanking...

• Everyone who joined this ride...and all the rides this season! It was so much fun tooling around with you all. From the 'Early Season - Ride to the Races' to the Hurricane Mountain and Mt. Washington ride! Curtis Ribs and Ben and Jerry's. It was a great season and you all are the ones that made it great.
    • Terry and Giles - You two took up almost all the 'Sweep' duties. People often ask how someone can lead a ride as large as these without breaking them down. The answer is, with a great Sweep! All I did was ride. These guys kept track of the cats! Thanks.
    • Seacoast - These guys are stars. All of 'em. Thanks for opening early ...and often on your day off. Thanks for the coffee and donuts! And thanks for the endless patience with my changes and A.D.D!!

OK...so Saturday morning the pundits promised the weather system that was passing the night before would be gone and the day would improve from early on leading to mostly sunny skies and temps in the mid 60s! And as we gathered at Seaoast it did indeed seem to be warming up and brightening nicely!

Thanks to all the veterans of these rides for coming along. And it was aweseome seeing several new folks...including Pete who trailered up from CT. to participate in the Fund Raiser!

I realized that folks might be sick and tired of my Riders Meeting and that, after hearing it a couple times, even my great jokes might be getting stale. (Though, I think the old jokes are the best jokes...don't you!)

So, I asked Rob (Cheese - with the 'C' that no one can reproduce) to run the riders meeting! Great job...and thank you sir!

My friend Mike had approached me to see if I would be willing to help lead a Fund Raiser for a child in his neighbor hood with aplastic anemia. Mikes wife showed up to handle the donations from the Seacoast/NESR riders! And Terry was so impressed he fell to his knees!

As it turned out, with all the delays, and with Seacoasts blessing, it worked out perfectly to link the Seacoast Ride with the Fund Raiser. (I'll let Mike post the results. But as a result of tireless hard work on his part, they were impressive)

We left Seacoast a little after 10:00 and headed through the traffic light gauntlet that is Derry! Soon enough we were on 114 and headed out to the good roads!

Everone was riding really well but the further north and west we went the cooler and cloudier it became. Exactly the opposite of what the weather folks predicted. Of course. Since we had a couple of 'fuel mileage challenged' riders I stopped in Hillsboro to give everyone a chance to fill up for the rest of the ride! And, to put back on the warmer stuff that I had taken off at Seacoast. I was freezing! And a few others did the same!

As we left Hillsboro and reached the intersection of 10, Terry our Sweep came charging to the head of the line and pointed to his jacket. The zipper was half way up and it was opened from the bottom up and the top down. In otherwords, a Super Bowl class 'equipment failure'!

I got everyone lined up on the other side of the road and waited for Terry to fix is jacket and join up. After a little while, most of us shut off our engines. After a little longer some of us got off our bikes. And after a little longer, a couple of folks who weren't watching Terry - who steadfastly refused to look up and kept working at the recalcitrant zipper - started changing their oil and checking valve clearance!

Eventually, he got it all together and off we headed.

Into a light rain, past a couple of cops, across Mountain Road and down into Lempster. By then it was getting darker, colder and the rain looked like it could move from 'light' to 'downpour' at any moment. As we turned back south in Lempster it began to look like the weather would drift back in our favor! As we passed Pitcher Mountain it began to lighten and the roads dried back out and all was good again!

As we pulled into Hancock I noticed the group seemed to have broken so I went back - about 100 yds - and soon everyone flew by me to regroup. Teryy stopped and explained that Giles had a big leg cramp and would meet us at the Trebuchet after he walked it off. (He had the route in his GPS!)

At that point my biggest concern was that the rest of the group would have dismounted and swamped Fiddleheads Cafe...a favorite stopping place! But my fear was misplaced and we were back on our way!

As promised, there was a Covered Bridge.

After snapping this we swept through Greenfield and down 32 to the Trebuchet!

(I used to work for a guy that looks like this...)

After watching a launch which went seriously far...and curved southward as the strong wind pushed it off course, we regrouped and followed Mike on into Amherst for the promised lunch and swag drawing.

Mike did a fantastic job with this whole fund raising effort. I know it made me feel good that I could play a small role in helping this family in need. Sometimes you get overwhelmed with all the hard stuff that happens in the world and you throw your hands up in helpless frustration and just ask how you can possible make a difference. The answer sometimes, is just a little at time. We can't save the world. But we can help a little boy. And that's something.

So ended a great day and a great season. Thanks again to everyone! See you next season!

(Thanks for all the pics too...many of these are from Rachael!)

More pics here:

From Rachael
    From Ken

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 10-11-09 at 08:25 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Seacoast / Fund Raiser - Final Ride Report!

Just want to thank you all for the opportunity to join in on a great ride and cause. The weather wasn't too bad and the views we passed were fantastic. That punkin launch was awesome. Great ride and a fantastic group to ride with. Didn't know that Beull 1125 was such a good dirt bike! Had a blast riding with you guys and girls. Count me in for next season.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

What a great day! Thanks to Mike and his wife Karen for organizing this event and to Dave for all his flexability and input in combining the two rides together.

I put a couple of videos up and I apologize that the first one is so bumpy but you all remember the road conditions yesterday. I promise that small event at the 7 second mark on the first video is definetly a result of a large frost heave and not me being irresponsible..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTQtO2O9g9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1WAV7PnTA

"Convicted ?.... no never convicted"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edKptC3XkmU

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Wow, great turn out yesterday for such a good cause. Thanks Mike & Karen for planning this event, also to DucDave for the awesome tour of Central NH! Oh... and Thanks to Seacoast for the $50.00 gift card that I won at the raffle. Great cause, Good people, Fun times. See you on the roads.

Wicked fun time! I wont be doing 2up riding anymore! My passenger (Tim) says NO!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Me and 1000RR were there in spirit. Glad everyone had fun.

For Mike, is there a place where I could send a donation?

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

real safe taking pics while your riding Dave

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    So, I asked Rob ( Ćheese - with the ' Ć' that no one can reproduce) to run the riders meeting! Great job...and thank you sir!
    My pleasure Dave although "distinguished guest" was a monster overstatement.

Thanks Mike for leading us to contribute to a great cause. I thoroughly enjoyed the day, ride, leader, sweep and everyone in between. I can only hope that our contributions offered a smile or at least a short sigh of relief to Drew's family.

Thanks for the write up and pictures (especially like the covered bridge shot) Dave, as well as for leading the ride and helping me out behind the scenes over the last few weeks. I really appreciate all of the support we received from the riders and participants who committed to yesterday. In a post on Friday night I noted it would be sunny and 60s and it was!!! ………okay, at least for a little while anyway.

The Trebuchet was incredible. I talked about it so much last night at a neighborhood bonfire that my family asked me to take them out there today. We just got back, and those pumpkins were going with the wind today & flying even further than yesterday. That place is hysterical, a must see!

A final sincere thanks to all of the businesses that made donations to this event….. Seacoast, Second Wind, Billerica Motorsports, Souhegan Valley Motorsports, Great Bay, Apple Tree Insurance, Boston Moto, and others ….. including a nice unexpected cash contribution from Moulton’s Market, the business that donated & cooked lunch for us. A couple of months ago I was trying to think of a way to raise a little money to help this local family out. I figured there would be enough interest from other riders to be able to pull together a small group where we could raise $1,000. That was my goal. Thankfully the interest level & event both became a bit bigger than I expected.

My company agreed to match what I could raise, dollar-for-dollar, up to $500……. so we will get that max donation from them. Moulton’s Market tossed in $300, and some other forum members’ companies (Terry’s & Pete’s) also stepped up and donated money. This morning when I added this money to the ride registration fees (a few riders must have thought the ride fee was more than $25…. ), and the Boston Moto winning auction bid (congrats Doc!), I am happy to report that we raised $2,055 yesterday! I plan on presenting Drew’s family with the check along with a small picture book of the ride this Friday night at another local event.

We made a difference yesterday. I hope everyone involved feels as good about that as I do. A little effort and commitment can really go a long way. Thanks again everyone, and I’ll see you on a future ride.

Mike

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackduk
    What a great day! Thanks to Mike and his wife Karen for organizing this event and to Dave for all his flexability and input in combining the two rides together.

I put a couple of videos up and I apologize that the first one is so bumpy but you all remember the road conditions yesterday. I promise that small event at the 7 second mark on the first video is definetly a result of a large frost heave and not me being irresponsible..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTQtO2O9g9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1WAV7PnTA
    Nice videos Pete!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Great ride, thanks everyone! Glad to contribute even though it was c-c-ccold

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    For Mike, is there a place where I could send a donation?
    Thanks Chuck, I will PM you on this.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Awesome!

who ever won the Billerica Motorsports Gift Certificate. Contact me and We can arrange to get it to you or leave it in the register in your name. Glad you all had fun I am jealous...

Doug

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Thanks Mike for putting this together and for such a good cause! Minus the couple minutes of rain it was a great day. Thanks Dave for leading and Terry and Giles for running sweeping!

Dave, great ride as usual.

Mike, thank you for caring enough to make a difference in someone’s life and allowing us to be a part of it. Please keep us informed of Drew’s progress.

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

Nice under tail!

the Duc or the R6 rider???

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDuc-1098 View Post
    the Duc or the R6 rider???
    The R6 rider is the "infamous" FemmeKat..tah!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    Nice under tail!

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |