Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Skyline and BRP

Skyline and BRP

I just recently took a 7 day trip from NH to GA and back to visit some family. Which of course I used an excuse to ride the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway for the first time.

Only ended up getting two nights of camping in on the trip. First was off the parkway around mile marker 15 on the north end at the Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort. It was mostly vacant aside from some seasonals, so I had a whole section to myself which was nice.

The next day I covered 400 miles of the parkway and stayed at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. I was wiped and didn't feel like setting up the tent so I grabbed on of their little cabins. Finished the parkway the next day and got down to Athens, GA to visit for a day and a half, then spent two days slabbing it home; no camping on the return.

This 2600 mile trip in total was by far the largest I have ever done. Up until this, I merely rode for 8 - 11 hours, camped for one night, then rode home the next day on a different route. And I enjoy that too.

I can certainly say the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway's reputations are well earned. It's like endless turns 12 hours - so much fun! I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, but this was a "Ride" so "Rides and Events" seemed appropriate. Anyway, thought I'd share some pics. Planning to join in on the Seacoast ride on the 22nd - just saw that post. Thanks Kenn for sharing it on the Facebook group, I caught it there.

>>Click for Slideshow of all pics<< otherwise, here's a sample:

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer - Graphite - current
    2010 Honda NT700V - Silver (first bike) - former

The town named after the river, without the "k" at the end.

Re: Skyline and BRP

Nice, the parkway and skyline are great rides. How well did everything fit in the hard ceases?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Awesome! Great trip. Great photos.

Jealous.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Great pictures! What days were you down there? A few of us did a BRP/Skyline run on the way back up from the WV mountains a few weeks ago; looks like we missed that fog though! Nice Explorer too.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Love the sudden curve ahead sign

Quote Originally Posted by sdavid View Post
    How well did everything fit in the hard ceases?
    Just fine. I had more storage than I needed between the side cases, top case, wolfman duffle, and tt dryspec bag. I hate side-loading cases though. I need to start saving for Givi's new trekker outback cases due to come to the states late this year.

7.62 - I think I saw your post on the ADV ride forums, which was a great ride report btw. I was in PA, the Skyline, and first bit of the BRP on Monday the 3rd; almost all of the BRP on Tuesday the 4th, and the last bit on the 5th. The fog was there on maybe the last 60 miles or so on the southern end. Wed morning I rode through maybe ten miles of it.

That sudden curve sign makes me laugh every time I look at it, Pontifex.

Quote Originally Posted by Seacoast-Rob View Post
    7.62 - I think I saw your post on the ADV ride forums, which was a great ride report btw. I was in PA, the Skyline, and first bit of the BRP on Monday the 3rd; almost all of the BRP on Tuesday the 4th, and the last bit on the 5th. The fog was there on maybe the last 60 miles or so on the southern end. Wed morning I rode through maybe ten miles of it.
    Sounds like we just missed you. Last time I was down there in '10, we got caught in a cloud for an entire day of riding the BRP; actually ducked out of the mountains and bypassed a section because we couldn't go more than 20 mph up top...

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Nice photos, some friends and I went down the way the following week. Spent 4 nights in gatlinburg. Rode the dragon and the cheraholua, crap weather for a day and a half. We only did 100 miles on the blue ridge but I did like it.
    We did hotels, curious how much we're the cabins?

Lee

I paid I think $27 for a tent site one night, and the cabin at the motorcycle campground was $40 or $50.