Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motarded Saturday 8/7/2010

Motarded Saturday 8/7/2010

Getting a loop together now using some of the Thrill & Chill roads and some of my favorite roads (and trails) so it should be a fun day.
    Start location is my house in RI (PM for directions)
    Start time is 10:30am (kickstands up)
    Lunch stop at some point, depending where we end up.
    Plan on at least a 50-60 mile range for gas stops and a 120+ mile day.
    Warm up ride is a quick spin around my "yard", this will see if you have the skills to continue
    Anyone??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: Motarded Saturday 8/7/2010

Tom- KTM 525exc
    Evan- KTM 450sx
    Mark- Something way prettier

Bah...I'll be at the track. Want in-in the future.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hypertarded

Approx. how much trail / dirt road does your planned loop have?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Tom- KTM 525exc
    Evan- KTM 450sx
    Mark- Something way prettier
    My bike isn't exactly pretty anymore..it's been used and abused in the dirt the past few months

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    It can be adjusted, but lets say 50% paved roads, 40% dirtroads and 10% easy trails.
    With it being so dry now, I bet we could do the entire pachaug NETRA loop if we wanted to

Yamaha

If your not into off-roading the motard yet, trust me its a blast. I was a little weary when I first got mine to take it off the pavement, but was simply amazed at the amount of traction that you can have. Soft sand and mud is a little tricky but avoided as much as possible.

Hypertarded

If your not into off-roading the motard yet, trust me its a blast. I was a little weary when I first got mine to take it off the pavement, but was simply amazed at the amount of traction that you can have. Soft sand and mud is a little tricky but avoided as much as possible.
    No I've had it in the dirt a bit, did a ride with mark last year that was probably 40% dirt road(no trails), hit some streches of dirt on my commute once in a while and found myself on several dirt roads while exploring in CT last weekend. But with the 690 being about 80-100lbs heavier than a converted MXer and the suspension somewhat stiff even on the road It doesn't excel off-road, seems very skitish to me even at reduced speeds.

So since I don't want to hold you guys up or alter your selection of trails, trails could be sketchy due to the exhaust set-up running below the engine/swing arm, think I'll pass on this ride.

maybe another time when no trails are planned, have a great ride, weather looks perfect

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Warm up ride is a quick spin around my "yard", this will see if you have the skills to continue
    Anyone??
    not to mention I'd hate to fail the test

not to mention I'd hate to fail the test
    John, you'll be fine...plus I'll have my camera
    A good friend of mine had a big 640 KTM a few years ago that looked bigger and heavier than your bike and he used to take that trail riding with us in Pachaug.
    Do you need directions?

Yamaha

That was insane!! One of the funnest rides i've had in a while. To all that didnt go, you dont know what you missed. That one trail was NUTS, I never in my life thought my motard could do that. Whens the next ride?

Waiting on the pictures....

That was a fun ride for sure Still don't think I'm fully hydrated again after that..haha I'll work on that tonight out by the fire

Only one pic for now. friskydingo, you would have been fine on this ride

Yamaha

Mark, maybe next time , though would I be beter off on the WR or is the KLR suitable , in other words are there any of your rock gardens thrown in ?

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Well we ended up on the Pachaug loop and had a blast...so i'd say the WR is best. That picture is of the "ledge step" trail just after the "powerline" section...which are 2 of the hardest parts in pachaug IMO. If we stay out of Pachaug, your KLR will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    Mark, maybe next time , though would I be beter off on the WR or is the KLR suitable , in other words are there any of your rock gardens thrown in ?

Yamaha

Sucks about your rotor though. I guess thats one way to learn the symptoms of a bent rotor. I still cant get over that damn hill, what a fuckin riot!

Report for the day

The day started out with the test, a lap around my trails to make sure we can complete the planned loop. Test must have been to easy because Tom and Evan both passed.
    We did the usual local roads, a few paved sections, few dirtroad sections and a couple trail like sections here and there.
    One area I wasn't sure of was Falls River Road, when I was there a couple months ago, it was still closed from washouts in the spring floods. It was open and as fun as always.
    It was getting close to a lunch stop at this point so we went into Pachaug State Forest as a cut through for the lunch stop. During lunch there was some discussion of taking on some of the Pachaug Rock Ride loop. No problem, lets do it!
    I figured i'd skip the hardest section, the powerline trail that always seems to bite us when we have knobbies tires, street could only make it worse? Or so i thought!
    I knew the way around that section, but forgot of the next section until we were into it. We stopped for a little rest and that's when I realized what we were in for.
    I warned at this point of what's ahead.

This is the "ledge step" trail on the Pachaug NETRA loop, uphill most of the way, ledge step-ups and lose baby head rocks.
    Tom, why are you walking your bike? haha

If some people weren't off in the woods yelling F..this, I'd be able to hear what they were saying at that moment?

At this point I think Evan had a few choice words for me for bringing them up this trail

As you can see, Rocks!

Need a rest, after all, we made it another 25 yards!

The rock steps..

None of us had hydration packs or bottled water and at this point, the focus was to get to a store. I thought it was just a short distance away but ended up being longer than I thought. Yet another awesome trail though even having to baja over some downed trees. We finally made it to Hell Hollow Rd and then to the Ekonk Ice cream store for some water.

Evan left at this point and Tom and I figured we would keep going, but in the general direction of home. I know most of the roads and also knew were we could jump back on the Pachaug rock ride loop. Once back on the loop, somehow a rock hit my front brake rotor and bent it. I had no front brakes for the rest of the day. That was it for me.
    Good ride, good company, can't wait to do it again

Yamaha

Hypertarded

Only one pic for now. friskydingo, you would have been fine on this ride

Report for the day
    One area I wasn't sure of was Falls River Road....

I warned at this point of what's ahead.
    As you can see, Rocks!

Yet another awesome trail though even having to baja over some downed trees. We finally made it to Hell Hollow Rd and then to the Ekonk Ice cream store for some water.
    Looks like you guys had quite the workout with those rocks!

AH yeah, I think that trail is more suited for me on my mountain bike probably a bit faster pedaling as well I am familiar with Falls River & Hell Hollow though. I'd say from the looks of those trails my exhaust would have had a 50%/50% chance of surviving, downed tree crossings would have been a serious issue with no skid plate.

No riding yesterday, but heading out sometime this afternoon for a ride, you riding today or back to yard projects? Heading out for a run with the dogs, I'll check when I get back.

: No riding yesterday, but heading out sometime this afternoon for a ride, you riding today or back to yard projects? Heading out for a run with the dogs, I'll check when I get back.
    Yard work today, plus my front rotor is shot. Heading out now for some trail riding on the YZ though

Yamaha

I think I cought a bug. Its making me look at all these nice shiny dirt bikes...I may be taking a swing in Razee's this week.

I think I cought a bug. Its making me look at all these nice shiny dirt bikes...I may be taking a swing in Razee's this week.
    Do it
    Todd and I just got done ripping it up for almost 2 hours...so much fun. Then there was talk of starting a woods MX track this fall..hmmm

Yamaha

Mark,
    Sell me the WR and I will go on the next one!!

I want first dibs. I can't find a charging for the yz otherwise that would be on the road.

Nathan

Just got myself an XR650R, I need to get some tires for it and get it jetted correctly, but then I want to join in on the fun!

Its not set up as a motard, til I can afford it, but I'd love to do some dual sport riding.

Last edited by khuygie88; 08-20-10 at 11:33 AM.