Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Trip to Nova Scotia

Trip to Nova Scotia

I have this grand idea of taking the bike on a ferry to Nova Scotia and riding around. I know nothing about it, and haven't done much research yet. I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has been to Nova Scotia. How are the roads and sights? Worth taking a week off to go up there and ride around? Any recommendations?

Also, I just saw that the ferry from Maine is discontinued. Are there any good car/motorcycle ferries that go up there?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: Trip to Nova Scotia

Roads and sights?

If you are looking for billiard table smooth twisties than not likely to find them. If you are looking for fun roads through gorgeous contryside with stunning views than you will be happy.

Worth taking a week off to go up there and ride around?

Yes

Reccomendations?

Nova Scotia and P.E.I (Price Edward Island) are bigger than you think. A week may not be enough without some really long days in the saddle to see everything you want to see. We averaged 400-500 miles per day basecamping in Truro and didn't see everything we wanted to see. Probably a better plan to jump campsite to campsite on a daily or every other day basis so you can get more things in on your trip.
    The Alexander Graham Bell museum was pretty cool.
    I wouldn't bother with the ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia, ride all the way there. It isn't really that far in the scheme of things and will save you a ton of money.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Send markbvt a PM. He has more info than you could ever need.

Here is ONE of his write ups:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502224

another one

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362718

Didn't CEO just go?

No advice here. But, it's on the to-do list. Pumped for you!

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I've led 7 or 8 tours of Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and PEI. If time is short skip PEI in favor of Cape Breton. Considering camping at Meat Cove. The only ferry I'm aware of at this point leaves from St. John New Brunswick. It saves a little time....

Its a great place. The people are wonderful and the scenery gorgeous. Be sure to have good all weather gear. If you stay dry and warm the weather will not deter you. If you're wet and cold not so much.

Last edited by DucDave; 08-02-13 at 08:17 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Went there for my honeymoon. Although it was 13 years ago, I can tell you the scenery is unbelievable. Not too heavily populated either. And yes it is bigger than you think.

It was good... Glad I did it... Wouldn't be high on my list of repeats until I did lot of other ones. I also would not want a herd edge sport bike there.. Glad I was on a goldwing, but an adventure type bike would have been better.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I've done a ton of work up there and in Newfoundland. If I were doing a bike trip, I'd do the Cabot Trail and take a ferry to Port Aux Basques, Newfoundland to do some riding on the west coast over there. The only downside to Newfoundland is that it's tough to do a loop ride. Most roads are dead ends that connect to the TCH. Some amazing scenery and no traffic at all though. Makes Nova Scotia feel like Boston at rush hour.

Skip the ferry and check out Fundy National Park in southern New Brunswick on the way there.

Also, if you happen to be there during a race weekend, you can check out the local racing scene at Shubenacadie.

http://www.atlanticroadracing.com

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Thanks for all the suggestions, gives me something to start my research on.

All good suggestions.

In my experience, the parts of Nova Scotia that offer the best riding are the northeastern corner east of Halifax, but especially between Sherbrooke and Canso, and Cape Breton, especially the Cabot Trail.

Newfoundland is amazing, but leave it for when you have at least a week to devote to it (not including time spent getting there and back). Newfoundland is much bigger than you might think by looking at the map, and there's a lot to see.

Plenty of pics and route info covering both Nova Scotia/Cape Breton and Newfoundland in my various ride reports, linked in my sig below.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

If you're camping, Marc's your man! If not, consider the following places:

Just south of Peggys Cove (a must see if it's nice) is OceanStones. I've stayed there 5 or 6 times and loved it. There's a great restaurant a 5 minute walk up the hill too.

PEI - Shaws Hotel - A bunch of really nice cottages walking distance to what may be the nicest beach in the Maritimes and a great restaurant too. And a 5 minute ride to one of the coolest stores I've ever seen. Play on a extended coffee stop here!

Cape Breton - Haus Treuborg in Port Hood. A short hour from the Canso Causeway, this is a nice B&B that you could make your HQ for 2 -3 days on the Cape. You can loop out from here and get back late afternoon. Plan on dinner for one night at the Inn. If you stay a couple days and get one of there seaside cottages you can cook your own food as well! (If you call them, tell 'em you were referred by 'The Clamato Guy'!

These are 3 of the places I return to over and over.

Hope this comes together for you. I love the maritimes!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I will probably do a combination of hotels and camping. But as much camping as I can.

I have tentatively set a date for September 13-21. Will do some more research and come up with an itinerary. If anyone is interested in riding up there, send me a PM.