Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Vote for when you want to go in may

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sunday May 11 - Sat May 17,

0 0%
  • Sunday May 18 - Sat May 24

2 100.00%
  • Half week between both, Thursday to Wednesday?

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Update - Deals Gap In May

Lifer

So I assume 75mph pace you stayed on the highway?

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Myself and doug are trailoring our bikes, I can only tke 2 bikes thou, sorry guys.

I do know of someone that will rent out a nice enclosed trailor that is all set up for 2 bikes already with a pitched front end for minamal drag. He said I think $25 a Day.
    Or get together and rent a ford ranger or something real cheap. Then you'll just have to inveret the two bikes in order to fit them in the back.

If your interested in the trailor I can get the guys # for you.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Lifer

If Randy's going to ride, I will too...

If someone offered to take a bag down for me in the truck that might be cool.

Riding down is at least 1/2 the fun for me, that seems like more of an adventure than going to the gap.

Ben

Ben,
    If you want I can put your bag in my truck, you just have to come to drop it off in Framingham a night or 2 before I leave.
    I will be most likely be leaving around noon Saturday the 17.

Doug did you get that! Noon! Dont be late!
    We will have to talk about how we are doing this, do you want me to come pick your bike up or do you want to drop your bike here and load up the night before? Or even that moning?

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Ben, as far as I know I will be riding I don't really have the spare cash to stop for a motel on the way down, but prolly will one nite on the way back. I would prefer to take the senic route and a few more days off to get there but it is not in cards for me this year. If I can't make it in one straight shot and get too tired, I will be using IBA motels.

I may even leave Friday nite after work, can't really say for sure untill I have an idea what the weather forcast are along the way for the trip

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Anyone around Saturday to meet up, I can give people directions there. I should have an area map of down there so we can check out some possible routes. Anyone have AAA, get some travel maps of NC TN and GA.

Your best bet is to get the address off the tree tops site and map it out from you local using mapquest or expedia.

The house is rented to another group that will be leaving early Sunday, then the house will be cleaned, we should be able to get in to the house around 3.

If you show up early you can go to the house and leave your vehicle, unload the bike and take a sweep up the dragon once or twice! Just go slow seeing you will be tired after a long drive down. BTW the area around the house is very safe for your things.
    If the owner is there tell him your with my group, Mike Resse. He and his wife are extremely nice (Ron & Nancy). Take the Phone # of the site and I will E-Mail everyone my cell #.

Let me know about this Saturday, so I can plan for it, We could meet @ Motomarket?

www.tailofthedragon.com

Hey Guys,

As of right now there are 6 of us, and 1 more still possibly to go,

So the cost of the house with only us 6 is $158 + Tax.
    If the 7th person makes it it will be 135.72 + Tax.

Tax I am pretty sure is 10%.

When are PPL leaving? I have a route I got from my Grandfather that use to drive trucks all over the US. He pretty much routed me around major city's to avoid any slow progress points.

I can E-Mail you the directions if your interested.

1 week and we are there! Sweet!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Not sure..

If this effect your rides..

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/in...T&f=4&t=17708&

Some pics of Deals Gap being washed out...

Looking for a Dry Sunny Day...
    and a winning Powerball #

Lifer

That is really interesting. I talked to another rider I know, he was in Tennesee this past weekend and said the weather was very severe. He is one of those touring type guys who thinks 2000 miles is a nice easy weekend, and it freaked him out, and he decided not to go through the gap as he had planned, so it must have been pretty bad.

If we can't ride the gap, I'm not sure it will disappoint me enough to want to cancel the trip, but if I was trailering, it would bum me out a lot more.

Edit:

www.tailofthedragon.com says they've already graded dirt through the washed out sections and they should be repaved by next week. Sounds like the fix roads like 10x faster down there.

Ben

Yeah that pic of 129 is right down the strret from the house, I recognized it immediately! I hope it's fixed, thats a good part of that route..
    This is not putting a damper on the trip though, there are so many other routes down there. That pic of Rt 28 would suck too, another great road...

www.tailofthedragon.com

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

Heres your update on the roads. I dont know if they will be repaired by the time we are there, but we can a least get by these sections with no problems.

www.tailofthedragon.com

Hopefully they will have them paved by next week. If not, I'll just bring down a set of knobbies for the Ducati. They did it on Mission Impossible!

Alright, it was a couple of Triumphs, but who cares.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

I was just reading the website "tail of the dragon" I should bring my dirtbike eh? I bet it will all be patched up soon enough.....revhappy's going to be in town... That focking r**n better stay away my bike doesnt get wet. I cant wait any longer!!! End of the week get here!

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

"I'll tell you what I tell my girl...Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

I do have a brand new set of motard tires for my SV, I'm thinkin I outa have someone not riding down bring them for me.... wish I had an extra st of rims set up with brake rotors and everything.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I just checked accuweather.com the weather looks perfect....."Knocking on wood"

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

SWEET!!!

Anyone need any info/ Directions? Anything? E-Mail me, Or if you received the e-mail with my Cell, call me anytime.

We have the house till Sunday Morning the 25th, SO if people have Memorial day off theres a free day!! Bonus!

What time is everyone heading out? I have to make a phone call about the route we took last year, I dont remember, But I did plan out a decent route myself already.
    Anyone find a good route to go? Suggustion! Avoid 95 as much as possible! Especially through NY. What a mess anytime you hit it!
    FYI, Last year I left around 5:30 PM and we arrived at the house about 1:30 the next afternoon.

www.tailofthedragon.com

I can take those tires for you if you want to drive down to Enfield, CT.

Me and my dad are leavin Friday night. He's driving down from the house in the van with his bike on friday night. We'll load my bike up here and try to get to Virginia ASAP. We have been told that Pennsylvania is the way to go on a weekend. Staying there on saturday/saturday evening, then driving the rest of the way into the sticks on saturday late night and sunday morning.

We will be bringing tons of metric tools and various bike fixing related items, so they will be there for anyone to use.

How is the food prices down there? We were thinkin of buying down there, but I have never been down there before, don't know what its like.

How many miles do you veterans usually put on the bikes once you get down there, excluding the ride down and back?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Your right PA is the fastest way to go, especially on the weekends, I had to travel out there a number of times last year, My record Fraimngham MA, to Bethlehem PA is 4 hours leaving at 4 AM with a constant speed of 75.

Food down there is relatively inexpensive. Sometimes we eat out which would cost a little more, but thats your choice! There is a stove/oven/ micro wave and a fridge to make your own food. I think we cooked out a few time last year after a long day riding nobody wanted to venture out!

As far as rides there, the most I remember doing was around 400 Miles, the average was more like 325. There are touristy places to stop and most of the roads are very twisty, so speeds are not excessive, especially this year when I hear cops are cracking down in NC..

Anyone bringing Radar?

www.tailofthedragon.com

I have my radar, not that I'll be leading very often.

how many are gap rookies?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Me and my dad are Gap rookies, though I have done a quite a few rides up the Kangamangus and Bear's Notch on the old 750. I imagine it is twistier and has more elevation changes, with fewer rocky mountains and a hell of a lot less frost heaves.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Iglu, you guys are leaving awefully early? Are you stopping to visit someone on the way??

Just so you know we can not get into the house till around 3PM Sunday.
    If you and your father take turns, you can be there within 17 hours, thats with only stopping for gas,bathroom, stretch, and food for on the go! It is definately safer to stop and sleep somewhere rather than a straight shot down.

See you Sunday, use my cell # if anybody needs anything.

Mike

www.tailofthedragon.com

Yeah, my sister lives in Fairfax Virginia, so we're going to stay at her place until early sunday morning. We will both be driving down to Virginia, which is about a 10 hour ride. Sunday we'll take turns also, even though it is "only" 7 hours longer. Hopefully we'll be able to rest a bit before we go for a ride on sunday!

Changin the oil on the Ducati tonight, and my dad is changin his brake pads on the Guzzi. We should be ready to go by this weekend.

The reason why I ask about the milage riding is due to my upcoming scheduled service for the Ducati. I'm at about 5200 miles now, and it is scheduled for 6000 to check the valves and belt tensions. I'm checking belt tensions tomorrow, but I don't want to wait too much past 6500 for the valve clearances. Usually when me and my dad go to laconia for three or four days we log at least 750 miles, if not more. I can see where you are coming from with the fewer miles - less speed thing though, so I'm not worried about it.

Anyone bringing a compressor?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Randy's going to bring a compressor, I'm probably going to carry a mini-bicycle pump for an emergency if he's not around.

If you're taking your truck and don't have a compressor, bring a big floor-sized bicycle pump. The one I have makes quick work of a motorcycle tire, I have actually never pumped up the tires on my SV with a compressor. Usually it takes less than 10 pumps to top off the tires with the bike pump. It won't fit easily in any of my bags for the motorcycle though.

Ben

Me and my dad are Gap rookies, though I have done a quite a few rides up the Kangamangus and Bear's Notch on the old 750. I imagine it is twistier and has more elevation changes, with fewer rocky mountains and a hell of a lot less frost heaves

you are in for an awakening, there are a few isolated twisties in newengland.... in the Great Smokies, they have 3 varieties, twisty, twistier, and twistiest, ... we have nothing that even comes close to camparing

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm ready!

Just washed and prep the bike for the gap! I only have to adjust my suspension settings back to where I liked them. Just wanted to thank Mike for getting this trip together I've been waiting 4 long years to go! Finally going!!!

RevHappy's Website

2004 Titan Custom 1750cc
    2004 Honda Recon ES
    2003 Yamaha YZF R6
    4 Sale 6,500
    2001 KawasakiKDX 200

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast