Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vanson Leathers open house 9/8 - 9/11

Just wanted to let everyone know just in case you haven't heard, Vanson Leathers in Fall River is having an open house this Thursday through Friday 9/8 - 9/11. Their website is www.vansonleathers.com.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

sweet...it's been almost a year since I have seen the same stuff on the racks that has been there for 2 years...

I might go...just for something to do.

04 ZX-10R
    02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    68 Oldsmobile 442
    05 Tahoe

There have been sporatic stories of people
    getting deals in the 2nds and left over racks

otherwise good stuff at horrific prices

We need a bend over smiley

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

There have been sporatic stories of people getting deals in the 2nds and left over racks
    I was down there a couple of weeks ago, and unless you're 4'8", 225lbs or 6'10", 140lbs don't bother.

Clyde
    03 sv650s

Does that portuguese chick with the really hot ass still work there? <b> That alone is worth the trip !</b>

JD
    '01 R1
    '85 C&C 27

Hey, I could be talked into some posing and a free lunch

Yamaha

Originally posted by bigred875
    sweet...it's been almost a year since I have seen the same stuff on the racks that has been there for 2 years...

Don't forget the really crappy service and all the teenage girls completely ignoring you so they can talk about themselves.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Originally posted by LuvDog
    Don't forget the really crappy service and all the teenage girls completely ignoring you so they can talk about themselves.
    riight..i forgot about that..

The first time I went to the open house I bought a used set of leathers..ex rental set for $400 and imo that was a smoking deal even if I look like the michelin man in them...but they have not added to the rack since and that was 2 years ago.....

Vanson is falling behind the loop, there stuff is great, but it is way $$ and heavy..imo there are much better values out there now....

I bought my suit at their open house... it was technically used since it was made for someone else... however the guy changed rides and didn't want it anymore... so it never got used... brand new $1,800 + suit for $600 Works for me....

that was in 02' I believe... I have heard rumors they've gone down hill since...

Originally posted by JDinRI
    Does that portuguese chick with the really hot ass still work there? <b> That alone is worth the trip !</b>
    Yeah... worth the trip if I thought I could get away with shaking the shit out of her.
    Worst customer service ever. She had <b> a lot</b> to do with it. She's as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I seem to be the exception to the rule when it comes to their customer service. Every time I have been down there I have received good service from them.

The young girls don't know much about the products but if you can get the attention of the middle aged woman with dirty blonde hair that looks like a biker, she knows her shit inside and out. She worked with me for over 2 hours trying on different jackets and pants until I found the combination with the proper fit. She then ran me through the installation of the armor which took another half an hour to complete. I walked away very happy even though my checking account had just been bent over.

Recently I went down there to buy a Ventmax jacket which turned out to be out of stock in my size. They estimated a 2 week lead time on them and put my name on a list to reserve the first available one. During the 2 weeks, I received 2 phone calls from them updating me on the status of the production. I was then called when the jacket was ready and they had it set aside for me when I got down there.

Overall I've been very happy with their service but I seem to be in the minority.

Hey ZX-12R... I'm a Vanson employee and I am always glad to hear this because as an organization we do try hard to do the best possible. For all of you who have had issues or complaints I ask you to email our general email box [vanson@vansonleathers.com] and tee off on what pissed you off.

We are continually tring to improve the product and the service. We aren't perfect but we do try hard. Most of our competition uses the cheapest labor and inferior materials whcih quite frankly don't fit right and fall apart at the most crucial momet.

Anyways come down to the open house and ask for me --> Kevin. I run the art department. Would love to meet some of you guys and girls and see about joining you on some rides and track days.

I am with 12..when I bought my suit they were very helpful and have always asked if i need help whne i was just looking around..

but the selection of stuff on the clearance rack sucks and they have not added much if anything in 2 years...jsut the same stuff and that is supposed to be the selling point of the open house...

The Vanson stuff is great...but it seems to me they have gotten comfortable with their status and are not putting a lot of effort in improving their stuff... like I dunno..adding a pocket or 2 or making soemthing more geared towards the street...

I went there...and the girl that was trying to help me find something to fit...said I was an 'oddity'

She was very nice and helpful though!!

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Point taken. I would never say we are comfortable with our status. in fact we are very concerned. We have made some new products that are more street friendly but the big killer is price which by the way we are not making much on anything we sell. Labor costs compared to china and Korea are insanley different. Every time we turn around our material costs are going up. Petroleum costs are being added to everything we buy.

Not only that but every new product we have made is recieved luke warmly by the market. People love our sport rider jackets and other than a lack of pockets there isn't much else we can do with them. I own 2 and think they are insanly awsome for riding. Wearing around town.... never they're too short for that but the momenbt your ass hits the seat of your bike it's the best fitting garment out there. Oh yeah... fell down a few weeks ago and my jacket barely is scuffed.

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

I guess I must be one of the "ODD" ones also. Never had a problem with service and I am very satisfied with the suit that I bought from Vanson.....

nixoid, I think I might know how you found the site......Check the avitar and it will clue you in to who I am.

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Wearing around town.... never they're too short
    this is kinda what i mean... and if you only wear the jacket if you do fall when your arms go up it exposes your stomach and lower back...not to mention walking around with it

bigred875 another good point. I can't speak to the Physics and geometry of the fall but I do know that when I went down I had no rash on my belly and I was wearing just jeans. Having skied New England a bunch I have learned to fall well. maybe that was a factor.

Originally posted by bigred875
    this is kinda what i mean... and if you only wear the jacket if you do fall when your arms go up it exposes your stomach and lower back...not to mention walking around with it

You can get your arms up in a Vanson jacket?

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    I seem to be the exception to the rule when it comes to their customer service. Every time I have been down there I have received good service from them.

The young girls don't know much about the products but if you can get the attention of the middle aged woman with dirty blonde hair that looks like a biker, she knows her shit inside and out. She worked with me for over 2 hours trying on different jackets and pants until I found the combination with the proper fit. She then ran me through the installation of the armor which took another half an hour to complete. I walked away very happy even though my checking account had just been bent over.

Overall I've been very happy with their service but I seem to be in the minority.

I agree w/ this guy - I am very happy with the jacket I bought back in '02 - the girl that helped me, [the one that somebody slammed in another post], did a great job installing the hard-armor and I did not feel rushed or slighted in any way. I looked at a lot of different jackets before I purchased my Vanson - yea, they're expensive but I think you get what you pay for... all in all I think the quality is very good and I think it's important to support local businesses... before they all disappear.

JD
    '01 R1
    '85 C&C 27

Originally posted by JDinRI
    I agree w/ this guy - I am very happy with the jacket I bought back in '02 - the girl that helped me, [the one that somebody slammed in another post], did a great job installing the hard-armor and I did not feel rushed or slighted in any way. I looked at a lot of different jackets before I purchased my Vanson - yea, they're expensive but I think you get what you pay for... all in all I think the quality is very good and I think it's important to support local businesses... before they all disappear.
    We couldn't be talking about the same girl, then... no way she would ever get mistaken for ANYTHING resembling helpful.

I'm happy with the Vanson stuff I own... I don't even mind the price so much. Of course it would be nice to pay less, but I too agree with supporting local merchants that don't make their stuff via 11 year-old girls in some third-world sweatshop. I can imagine how hard it is to stay afloat given how expensive it is to maintain the quality of Vanson while still producing in Fall River... Having said that and given the fact that their product is so labor-intensive I don't think it would be too much to expect a couple people behind the counter of the flagship retail location to at least know SOMETHING about the great product they're selling. I'd argue it would actually be to Vanson's benefit... significantly. Vanson needs to understand that these girls make a pretty lousy first impression and could (and apparently do) do a shitload to harm their image. I honestly almost bought from a competitor after my experience at the Vanson facility. I suppose I could expect lousy, uninformed service from a vendor... but from the source? Would I have been treated like shit at Dainese HQ? Perhaps, but I really, really doubt it.

Although their suits are mucho dinero, I heard they make repairs for free as long as you own the suit..not sure how accurate that is..

Clyde
    03 sv650s

Semi sorta true..... If Vanson is at the track and you show up there They can make repairs. Time and material permiting at no charge. While at the track - at the track only - They will fix other brands of suits as well for $40 and hour as a courtesy to the racers.

Also, simple repairs will be made at our open house this weekend [and all open houses] They won't get involoved in a major repair but if you went for a slide and need a patch or seam fixed They'll do it for nuthin'

Just the fact the Vanson repairs their garments is a huge competive advantage. Try to get your Dianese or joe rocket repaired... Same money [for the Dianese], falls apart REAL fast in a get off and no one to repair it.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Nixoid,

Though I must say that I am very happy with my Vanson jacket I also have a problem with the level of service that I received there about a month and a half ago. My jacket lost a button and a friend of mine was going down there on a Saturday afternoon because he needed a new suit, so we figured lets go to Vanson they have a great reputation and I received great service when I bought my jacket they'll probably just pop a new button in and help him buy a new suit.

We went there and quite honestly the level of, or rather lack of service, we received as potential customers first and foremost and as a previous/current customer, with an issue with a Vanson jacket was incredible.

My friend needed some questions answered as to availability and sizing etc., the two girls that were working that particular Saturday were more concerned with talking about who they were sleeping with, who's friend was sleeping with who, what their lunch order was and why was it taking so long to get there, everything but helping the customers, the only customers in the store. When one of them finally decided to attempt to answer my friends questions about the suits, she had absolutely no product knowledge and left my friend with more questions than answers and no suit to replace the wrecked one he had. Enough about them not trying to sell a one piece roadracing suit to my friend which I am sure wouldn't hurt Vanson to sell.

I finally got one of the girls to actually talk to me about what I had traveled from basically NH to Fall River to have addressed, the button that fell apart on my pretty expensive custom fit jacket that I ordered and waited approx. 3.5 months to receive. She at first told me that there was no way they could repair my jacket on a Saturday morning/afternoon and that I would have to come back on a week day. Sorry, but I work during the week and that is not an option. Next she suggested that I leave the jacket and they might be able to fix it sometime in the next week. Due to the fact that I ride quite a bit during the week and this jacket was purchased specifically to protect me while riding, not such a good option either. After discussing this for a short period of time with the first girl, the second girl chimes in and says, hang on whats his name is out back maybe he can do this right now. OK finally a sign of someone wanting to figure this out. Sadly I got my hopes up only to be disappointed less than five minutes later when she came back and said, he wont be able to do it today he's on the phone and it would take him too long to find the button that you need anyhow. She continued on and let me know that it would be a fairly simple thing to do, just putting a new button in place of the old one, but he was busy(on the phone!!) no suggestion that I could wait a bit until he got off the phone, just that he couldn't do it. At that point I realized that it wasn't looking promising that my button was going to be replaced and my friend and I decided to leave.

Having worked in multiple service industries I would have to say that the two girls that were working the day we went there are doing an incredilble disservice to the Vanson name. The people I originally bought my jacket from were great with answering any and all questions that I had about the jackets that Vanson had to offer, explaining all the different features and associated costs. So much so, that I actually spent the ridiculous amount of money that I did on a riding jacket from Vanson. From what I understand the girl that has always helped me in my past visits to Vanson no longer works there and was replaced with the two that were there during my visit. Big mistake in my eyes.

So basically I have been riding around with my jacket missing a button and realizing that I will more than likely not buy another Vanson product and buy gear from another manufacturer for less money, simply because even if I have to buy two or three of them because either they wear out or I crash and destroy them, I can still buy three or four of them for what I would spend on a Vanson, and from what I have seen of the riding gear that friends have purchased elsewhere they are high quality and would protect me well in a crash.

Enough ranting, I just figured maybe you would like to hear what my experience was and maybe see what your company thinks about this type of situation happening in your retail outlet.

Joel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast