Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Vermont dual-sport ride, Sun 8/19

Anyone interested in a casual dual-sport ride on Sunday? Maybe hit the Lincoln Gap and some of the other roads down that way, and/or some roads up around Underhill/Cambridge/Bakersfield/wherever?

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Littering and........

Absolutely.

Isn't the CCCofVT doing a dual-sport gig this w/e?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

No idea, I've never been much of a club joiner. I don't like big group rides anyway.

--mark

Without clubs, Massachusetts would have absolutely no public ORV riding available. Not sure about VT.

Cycle Conservation Club of Vermont

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    No idea, I've never been much of a club joiner. I don't like big group rides anyway.

--mark
    +1

I support most of those types of clubs, and have joined a few, but at the end of the day there is still plenty of places to ride here in VT as long as you aren't in a huge group, and you mind your manners.

Have a plated bike opens up lots of trails/dirt roads/whatever as well.

Anyone interested in a casual dual-sport ride on Sunday? Maybe hit the Lincoln Gap and some of the other roads down that way, and/or some roads up around Underhill/Cambridge/Bakersfield/wherever?

--mark
    I'm definitely up for it. The CCC of Vt ride looks cool, but time is an issue for me, I have plans for later in the day.

Check you PM's.

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - Hunter S. Thompson

The CCC of VT doesn't seem to be terribly effective, since they haven't even been able to convince VAST/the state/whoever to let us ride on the many many miles of snowmobile trails throughout the state. I find it a bit fitting that the bike pictured on their website is an old streetbike, because streets (paved or dirt) are about the only place you can legally ride in Vermont unless you're friendly with private landowners who've built trails. And it can be very hard to get into those circles because they (understandably) don't want everyone and their brother on their property.

I also find it ironic that they announce the dual-sport ride on their website, but there's not actually any information on it except that it's out of Johnson. They don't even mention where to meet. Guess you have to be a member.

At any rate -- highsider, what time works for you on Sunday? I'm free all day, but I'd prefer not to get going until late morning because I have a 300+ mile ride with my Triumph RAT pack on Saturday and would like a chance to sleep in a little on Sunday. I'm thinking, maybe meet at 11am at the big gas station on Rt 116 on the north end of Hinesburg (I think it's a Mobil, but I could be wrong...)? Bob, does that work for you?

--mark

Littering and........

I'm definitely in for meeting in Hinesburg.

Whatever time works for you folks, I was thinking earlier, but I'm flexible. Depending on how dirt-savvy your dual sport ride is, I'll show you guys some excellent trails.

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    I'm definitely in for meeting in Hinesburg.

Whatever time works for you folks, I was thinking earlier, but I'm flexible. Depending on how dirt-savvy your dual sport ride is, I'll show you guys some excellent trails.
    I can meet there too. I also was hoping to go earlier, as I would need to be back in S. Burlington by 2:30 or so.

My DR is ready to hit the trails. Just put some Pirelli MT20's and lower gearing on her. Now if only I could buy some dirt skills......

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God invented fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - Hunter S. Thompson

Ugh... okay, how about a 10am meetup time? Early enough for you guys?

Highsider, by all means please show us some trails. Let's stick to the ones that aren't too nuts though -- my tires aren't super aggressive, and if my buddy Jesse comes along, his tires are even less aggressive. And most of my experience is on the street.

I was looking over some maps yesterday and found a whole mess of minor roads that looked like they could contain some fun unimproved dirt ones. I was thinking we could head down 116 from Hinesburg, over the App Gap, and then head over the Lincoln Gap and follow some of the dirt roads coming off that. But I'm pretty much making this up as I go along, so if you've got other ideas, speak up!

--mark

Sorry I ended up missing you guys yesterday. I got on my Honda yesterday morning to get going, and the damn thing wouldn't start. Kept turning over, but wouldn't catch. No spark. My buddy Jesse and I ended up pulling everything apart, tracing wiring, etc, but couldn't find anything obvious. Finally Jesse suggested I just put the spark plug back in and see if we happened to jiggle the right connection; apparently we had because the bike started right up. So I put everything back together and we got going, but it was obviously way too late to hook up with you guys.

We ended up riding over the App Gap and the Lincoln Gap, then headed down a bunch of class 3 and class 4 dirt roads between the Lincoln Gap road and Ripton.

Let's try again soon; I want to check out these trails Highsider knows.

--mark

Well guys, it was an awesome day. Mark, sorry we missed you. Sounds like you got all your mechanical issues worked out, glad to hear it.

Chris - thanks a million for being such a great trail guide. I definitely owe you a couple of cold ones

Mark - all I can tell you is to dump your street tires and get some knobbies. While the trails we rode appearantly can be ridden without knobs (Chris is a friggin animal!) they will help greatly with being a dirt newb. I could go on for days about how great the ride was.

We will ride again for sure gents!

Littering and........

Yes, that was a good time, for sure.

Newbob did awesome for a dirt newbie on a bigger bike. We did some pretty difficult terrain, and there was no whining whatsoever. We'll have to do it again soon, for sure. I should be riding in the dirt most weekends from now until December.

Did your friend remember what he said about my sportbike tires?

My tires should be okay, they're not street-only tires, just not super-knobby. The front one's the stock XR650L Bridgestone Trailwing 301, rear is the same Trailwing 42 as comes stock on a DR650 (which is slightly more street-oriented than the stock XR650L rear but still pretty capable in the dirt as long as things don't get too muddy). Jesse might have a harder time on those trails though; he's got Kenda K761s that are coming up on needing replacement.

At any rate, I'm game for giving those trails a try. Hopefully my Honda won't have any more weird starting issues.

--mark

For anyone who's interested, somebody forwarded me a thread with pics from the CCCofVT dual-sport ride.
    CCCOFVT Ride Pics - ADVrider

I think I'll skip mud bogs like that. The rest looks awesome though.

Now that my Honda's running again, we'll have to plan another dual-sport ride.

--mark

Old Fart on a Tiger

The CCC of VT doesn't seem to be terribly effective, since they haven't even been able to convince VAST/the state/whoever to let us ride on the many many miles of snowmobile trails throughout the state.
    --mark
    That might be because the "conservation" in CCC of VT's name appears to hav little to do with conservation of the land they ride across. Near my home they reopened an old road that had washed out 40 years ago. The gulley it had become over the years was held in place with little more than moss and tree roots which they tore all to heck! They also had a couple of rogues who cut thru a swampy area of an adjacent landowner and left HUGE ruts for him to clean up. And all the brush and saplings they cut down were pushed onto his property for him to take care of.

The downstream silting was so severe this year the state might get involved. The lovely stream that cuts thru my land is now a mud pit! These people aren't the property rights friendly types that VAST is known for.