Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

R.I.P. Waltham rider funeral ride.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Unhappy R.I.P. Waltham rider funeral ride.

WALTHAM —

A 21-year-old Waltham man died from injuries he suffered in an accident on Lake Street on Saturday around 2:17 p.m., according to Waltham Police.

Michael Claudio, 21, died at Newton-Wellesley Hospital after his motorcycle crashed into the back of a SUV that was waiting to turn onto Indian Road, police said.

According to a press release from Waltham Police, no charges have been filed and an investigation by the Waltham Police Reconstruction Unit is ongoing.

Mike was a good friend of mine, a kid who i graduated highschool with, and someone i frequently saw when i stepped into the waltham auto zone not knowing wtf i need for my car/bike.

His funeral is on Thursday June 4th at 9am at Saint Anthony's parish at
    400 Cardinal Medeiros Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02141.

Now without getting all preachy and junk because i doubt any of you actually knew him I would like to extend invitations to the ride from Saint Anthony's Parish in Cambridge to Calvary Cemetary in Waltham. His parents knew how much he loved to ride and knows that the riding community is like a whole different world. Because they know their son would want his biker friends to be a part of the procession they have given all bikers that wish to attend a spot to ride behind the family limo that will directly follow the hurse. I have talked to some of you that have already said they will go and i appreciate the "anything for the fallen biker" attitude. Should you choose to go i please ask 3 things of you. 1. To be at the church between 915am and 930am. 2. To look somewhat presentable.(Basically if you are wearing shorts and a teeshirt i will ask you to head back the way you came from, remember people its a funeral...) 3. Ride with respect for the family that has just lost a son. (No stunting, no jackassery, and depending on what the family/myself/his best friend decide, lets make it the best looking staggard or side by side formation anyone has seen).

If anyone needs any more information Feel free to send me a PM.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In hibernation

Re: R.I.P. Waltham rider funeral ride.

Chris, I'm grateful to have you communicate this info to us, and I'm sure the family will be grateful that you are taking this role for him.

We as riders/bikers are a unique type and have always come together in rough times.

My boss has GIVEN me the time to take the morning off to pay respects and intend on being there for Mike, Chris and the family. I hope others will make it as well.

...If anyone else is coming from the north and is familiar with the area, I'd love to be able to ride down with someone as I don't know the city very well.....

Last edited by FlynGSXR1k; 06-03-09 at 07:46 AM.

This is a great idea for a fallen rider. It will show the family the good side of the bike world.

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

wishbone hit the nail on the head, People need to see that we aren't all just speed crazy morons(just the majority of the people on this site...Bigredsv )...Also
    I believe people being part of something like this can really put life in perspective when your on that bike.

My friends a squid stealth600rr's Avatar

Hey guys, thanks for showing Mike and his family the support that they need right now, I was good friends with mike and actually was out riding w/ him the night before his accident. We will greatly appreciate anyone who can make it and support his family through these tragic moments.

Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

fkin wap double post

Last edited by WordTooYoMamma; 06-03-09 at 08:40 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    ...If anyone else is coming from the north and is familiar with the area, I'd love to be able to ride down with someone as I don't know the city very well.....
    I believe that I will be slabbin' it down with you pending any unforeseen developments in my condo improvements (broken granite and new guys).

Look forward to being there; it is the least I can do after almost losing my life.

In hibernation

Yes... the plan is for me and Jeff to slab down leaving the seacoast NH area at 7:30 with two other riders (my lil sis and one other). Everyone has been informed of Chris' requests made in the opening message. If anyone else is going from north of the city, feel free to PM me if you'd like to meet up enroute.

Quote Originally Posted by TPcowell View Post
    I believe that I will be slabbin' it down with you pending any unforeseen developments in my condo improvements (broken granite and new guys).

Look forward to being there; it is the least I can do after almost losing my life.

Post Re: R.I.P. Waltham rider funeral ride.

the rain looks like it will clear up around that time

i might be in attendance as well

Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012

My friends a squid stealth600rr's Avatar

Thank you EVERYONE for either trying to make it, and those who did make it... Like I said earlier mike was one of my great friends. Unfortunitly tuesday morning after moving into my new place the night before, I got up in the morning to ride to work and right infront of my house a lady cut me off and i ended up hitting her in the passenger side rear door. I was not able to make it to the funeral due to this stupid c**t slamming into me and couldn't find anyone to relieve me at work. R.I.P Mike - we'll always be with you!

In hibernation

What a sobering day. With so little time, Chris (Wordtooyomomma) amongst others did a fantastic job getting riders from all around together to celebrate the life and spirit of Mike. The ride was a good 18 miles, Mike was transported in a glass case on a tryke, and shortly behind the family was 20+/- friends and fellow riders.

Thanks to the family for allowing the bikes to ride this, thoughts and prayers are with you all, one can never imagine the pain of losing your own child. Thanks to Chris for rallying the troops on such short notice and for everyone who came out.

Let's not be doing this type of ride again anytime soon!!!

-Chris

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I saw some Bikes out there this Morn when I left for work, I live next to that Church. RIP

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

My wife emailed when she was walking to work at MIT - told me when I go she'll give me the same thing but a BMW pulling me. Sorry I missed it, but great parents to do it in style.
    Be safe out there city or counrty riding.

Two things help getting older - BMW'S and Metamucil

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

first, I did not know mike. that being said wish i had. after attending this ride i could tell he was loved. The show of support was fantastic and, as hard as it was for all involved, it was only because they cared for him so much. that made mike truly blessed. there were moments that i got choked up because in reality anyone of us could be in that casket. how many of us at one point in our riding have froze, or hesitated? all it takes is one misstep, one miscalculation, and that could be it. as i looked around at all of the family and friends that knew this young man i could see in them the faces of my own family, and my own friends. it was a very sobering experience. the good that did come of this is i heard people say that this had an impact. if mikes memory makes one person think more about how they ride then his death will not be in vain. as all of you have seen on this site, this kind of thing happens more often than we would like. when you see the impact behind the news story it really hits home. everybody be safe out there

Chris- thank you for organizing this ride and i was honored to attend.

RIP Michael Claudio

Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

A BIG thanks to all who attended. I organised this ride for the family. His best friend craig told me bikes would be allowed in the procession with permission from the family. We got to talking and I told him I could get 7-10 people at the drop of a hat that would ride for him because of the respect people feel for their fallen brothers/sisters. When you think about it, how many cliques or groups would do something for someone they didn't know as easily as some of you did, not many. We showed that family the riding community cares and they will remember that for the rest of their lives. The ceremony and burial ceremoney were incredibly sad. Not only did I picture myself in the casket, but I put my parents faces on his parents. Every time I get on a bike I will be reminded that I need to keep at much control as possible while riding my bike or it could be my mom and dad crying uncontrollably over my casket.

Just found this post. Very sad. Chris...the whole thread and the posts here got me choked up....you wrote about Mike and his family and the day of the funeral so eloquently. I am sorry for his parents, family, all his friends, etc. I have been to the auto zone in waltham plenty of times, as I live only a couple of miles from there. I don't know if Mike worked there, but about a month ago, I was there on my bike. A young guy came walking in, wearing some gear, and we nodded at each other as we passed. Back outside a few minutes later, he came out and we started talking. We checked each others bikes out, etc. Chris...this guy rode a late model green Ninja. I don't know if he was Mike or not, and it doesn't matter. It's a tragedy all around. It's just that when I saw this happened in waltham, I remembered meeting this young guy and thought/dreaded it might be the same person. Makes you catch your breath. Anyway, I just wanted to relate this story and again express my deepest sympathies. RIP to Mike.

Last edited by greenmonster; 06-08-09 at 03:30 PM.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, I charge double for Kawasaki's

"My God, you're gonna have to cool me down, give me an ice block to shove in my pants or something".
    -Barbecue Lou