Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sundays Ride,

Sundays Ride,

Went for a short ride today with one of my customers, He has a 95 ZX-9 that I repainted this fall, Young guy with a good feel for the bike, we did 130 miles of local roads, one section we did twice, It is a section of road out of Ithaca Rt. 329 it is one of those great roads for a sportbike, all up hill and full of 20 and 25 mile per hour corners, We raced up to the top of the hill traffic free and a great ride, I had one good scare coming into a hard left hand corner, I drag my toe just a little keeping just in contact with the pavement, half way thru the corner my boot must have hit somthing because I got one quick jolt that jared me in the corner, Not sure what I did wrong I didn't see anything, but it sure got my attention. We made it to the top and there at the entrance to the State Park. We come flying over the hill and there is a local cop rolling along just ahead of us.. Kind of killed that section of road. He pulled off and backed in to a spot to sit. Must be he was going to sit and wait for some outlaw motorcyclists to come by,, guess we lucked out. We rode on over to another great road a few towns over, we Kept the speeds reasonable because of the cold roads and tires, The Sigma said we had an average speed of 64 mph and a high speed of 133 mph,, Most of the roads we rode on were secondary roads with no traffic, I don't think we passed more than 10 cars all morning.. The next stretch of road is another up hill we Hammered this one up and back, I was curious, I seem to be unable to do any trail braking on these down hill off camber turns, I know it seems like I should be able to carry a lot more speed thru the down hill corners, I have always gone by the assumtion that up hill is good for ten percent more adhesion to the road, down hill ten less, I know that there is a bigger difference than that in my speed between up and down.. When I apply the brakes to slide the rear end around a little I find I am going past the point that I want.. Seems easier to do on a flat road or even off camber,, but the bike feels so squirrely on these down hills that I am sure I must doing something wrong,, One of you guys who race must be able to help.. We rode one big circle to get us back home, In all we saw four cops out while riding,, I don't thnk I have ever seen so many while out riding.. On the ride rules that are posted I can only think of one thing that I am not comfortable with and that is the pointing of danger areas with your foot. I have always used my hand in the stop postion, shaking it, All this means is use caution, Might be a dead animal in the road or someone pulling out of a driveway.. anyway it means use caution ahead,, This pointing with your foot seems un-natural to me, Hope some other got to do some riding this week figured I share my ride with others.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sundays Ride,

I was waaaaaay too hungover to ride today, DAMNIT! Friggin' JC came up last night and got me sauced AGAIN! But we did take turns rallying our trucks on the dirt roads up here, and we pissed in Randy's driveway! Oh yeah, and I did a "burnout" on a wild rabbit!!!

One thing about pointing out hazards w/ your foot: A lot of times it's just not possible to point 'em out with your hand...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Sundays Ride,

I didn't mean point with my hand, I always use the same left hand for giving signals.. Up to the guy behind be to figure out what is going on, all I do is let him know something is going on that needs his attention,, I have yet to figure out how to take my inside foot off the pegs in a hard corner and point it while in the middle of a turn... To bad you missed out on a great day of riding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I see in your last post you talked about going south sometime to ride,, What date are you talking about.. I think my son and I are going to go south a couple times this winter,, Just to ride, do a Sat-Sun type ride. Put the bikes in the back of the truck on Friday and get down to Virgina were there is no snow. Head back Sunday afternoon,, I figure it better than trying to store the bikes for the winter.

Sundays Ride,

Not sure if I'll make the trip south this winter. JC and I were talking about going down to Homestead to catch the Superbike round there this winter, but they're not having it there anymore. Woulda been ideal, 'cuz my folks have a house on the other side of the peninsula (Marco Island) and by bike it's only about an hour and a half ride to the track...

This year I'll actually be winterizing my bike and putting 'er in the house. My wife's cool like dat!

Sundays Ride,

I have no problem using my foot for pointing out defects in the road or hazards in a group ride that isn't too "fast" (ie doesn't totally require both feet at all times for control). But when "pushing" it at a fast pace or when I am on a road that I am not too comfortable with I will not risk control of my bike to point out a hazard to someone else that should be paying attention on their own.

Sundays Ride,

Bikes in the house R kewl:cool

Yep, i like using the foot method. I think in most common situations it's a little safer than taking a hand off the bar. Not to mention that everyone i have ever rode with uses thier feets.

I also agree with what Chip said, i won't point something out if doing so endangers me in any way

Yamaha

Sundays Ride,

I have no problem using my foot for pointing out defects in the road or hazards in a group ride that isn't too "fast" (ie doesn't totally require both feet at all times for control). But when "pushing" it at a fast pace or when I am on a road that I am not too comfortable with I will not risk control of my bike to point out a hazard to someone else that should be paying attention on their own.
    Makes perfect sense to me, When your not pushing it,, hell it easy to see what going on,, Seems like the best type of signal to be used, is one that can be used under pressure. I have used the shaking my fist in a downward motion on all of the rides I lead around here for years, Still gives me good control and seems to be easily seen from behind...It is also easy to go from that to the stop signal,, it is almost a natural progression..If you were to point your leg out around here most riders would think you were either stretching or taking a leak in side your suit..

Sundays Ride,

It was a nice day, I shulda gone for a ride more than 10 miles to fill up the tank & back.

I have seen both methods of pointing out road hazards, mostly with the foot, cause that seems to be the more accepted method but I prefer the shaking hand, quite often, a pointing foot is only an effort to stretch a leg and not a road hazard

and actually I would prefer it if only serious hazards were pointed out, after all what Chip sez is right, the riders behind you should be paying attention to their own line, I have been on some rides where I have seen riders make some utterly stupid gestures to point out something that any idiot can see a quarter mile away, I mean, why point out a 2 foot wide gravel strip across (dug up culvert) a straight away

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Sundays Ride,

can't wait 'till it snows so I can come up and we can drive like that all over town baby!!! ALL OVER TOWN!!!!!!

What, and leave yellow tracks in everybody's driveway

piss in your own driveway

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Sundays Ride,

can't wait 'till it snows so I can come up and we can drive like that all over town baby!!! ALL OVER TOWN!!!!!!

What, and leave yellow tracks in everybody's driveway

piss in your own driveway
    Hee hee hee....

Sundays Ride,

And that rabbit, looked like it hopped outta that yard off to the right....so I think we killed somebody's pet.
    If it was someone's pet, too bad. They shoulda been paying closer attention!

Remember that sign? "YOU KEEPADAFUKOUT!"

Sundays Ride,

HAHAHAH!!! I sure do! "posted. no tresspassing. ukeeptafukout!" HAHAHAH!!!!
    I knew it was something like that. That was some funny shit!!! I wonder if Randy called him to let him know we were goin' around and pissing in people's driveways!