Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tuna or shark fishing?

Tuna or shark fishing?

Any interest in a Tuna or shark charter? Late August is the start of prime Tuna fishing. I'd like to get a small group and charter a boat. Any takers? I've been looking at prices and for 6 people to go for between 8-9 hours out of Gloucester its only like 200-250 a person including tip. If there's enough interest I'll book a trip.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Tuna or shark fishing?

I'd be down - sounds fun

Let me suggest this guy...he's my neighbor, and Im his mate (no homo) if his son isn't around, or if he just wants to go fishing.

http://www.sportfishingma.com/

page 3 of 5 under the photo gallery is me with my tuna.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

If the group ends up real small, like say 4 people, and you want to get it done for a lot less, on a smaller boat, more like "how the locals do it" than "red roof inn" let me know. A lot less is something like "cost of gas and lunch/dinner for the captain". You'd know the captain too, at least as far as NESR goes.

If you get the #'s to go commercial boat that's a lot of fun too. Arguably more fun, depending. If anyone gets seasick or nervous on the ocean in a small boat, def. more fun. If you're more like me... less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherberidin View Post
    Any interest in a Tuna or shark charter? Late August is the start of prime Tuna fishing. I'd like to get a small group and charter a boat. Any takers? I've been looking at prices and for 6 people to go for between 8-9 hours out of Gloucester its only like 200-250 a person including tip. If there's enough interest I'll book a trip.
    "Late August is the start of prime Tuna fishing"

who told you this?

prime tuna fishing started more than a month ago and is starting to slow down now seeing as the water is getting warmer than the care for.

although the morning (as in when the sun comes up) bite is still good.

btw: unless it was a canyon run i'd never go on a tuna trip with more that 4 and my personal preference is 3

jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    "Late August is the start of prime Tuna fishing"

who told you this?

prime tuna fishing started more than a month ago and is starting to slow down now seeing as the water is getting warmer than the care for.

although the morning (as in when the sun comes up) bite is still good.

btw: unless it was a canyon run i'd never go on a tuna trip with more that 4 and my personal preference is 3

I was going by what I've read on different sites. I am 100% a freshwater fisherman so I don't know much. I was trying to keep costs down so that is why I mentioned six as this is the max I have seen for a couple boats. I agree that its probably too many people. The boat I was really looking at is the Sandy B which is 37' giving people a little more room. I welcome all suggestions because as I said I know very little about off-shore fishing

Quote Originally Posted by idratherberidin View Post
    I was going by what I've read on different sites. I am 100% a freshwater fisherman so I don't know much. I was trying to keep costs down so that is why I mentioned six as this is the max I have seen for a couple boats. I agree that its probably too many people. The boat I was really looking at is the Sandy B which is 37' giving people a little more room. I welcome all suggestions because as I said I know very little about off-shore fishing
    My humble .02, go out w/ 3 people fishing, 4 max. run 4 rods if you want, 2 off the stern and 1 off each gunwale, at different lengths. Best way to do this is 2 people fishing, two rods each. Start stupidly early, be on the first fishing spot painfully early. Devote the afternoon to easier fish and/or chillin on the water with a cold one.

Also, if you're not on a commercial boat, know the laws and expect to be boarded. Maritime law is nothing like being on land.

And make sure the captain isn't going to claim your extremely valuable fish as his own, and give you a free fishing voucher as a thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    And make sure the captain isn't going to claim your extremely valuable fish as his own, and give you a free fishing voucher as a thanks.
    Is the law anything over 73" goes to the boat? If you catch something smaller who do you sell it to?

the only one who can sell a tuna is someone with a commercial license and they can only keep fish over 73"

jim

"Molon labe"

Well if I caught one that met those reqs and the cappy wasn't gonna gimme 100% of the sale price, snip. bye bye fishy. Enjoy living another day

I knew there was more to it, but wasn't sure what.

No worries, I am sure the captain knows exactly who to sell a blue fin to.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    He has to with a commercial fish AFAIK, either that or tag/throw the fish back.

if you fight and pull in a commercial fish, it will be well worth your money, and nothing is stopping you from fishing more in the same day.

I didn't put his link up there and say everyone sucks but him, or he's the best. But he has taken care of me, and he will put you on fish.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    He has to with a commercial fish AFAIK, either that or tag/throw the fish back.

if you fight and pull in a commercial fish, it will be well worth your money, and nothing is stopping you from fishing more in the same day.

I didn't put his link up there and say everyone sucks but him, or he's the best. But he has taken care of me, and he will put you on fish.
    If someone that knows you/us, and knows the captain, tells you said captain WILL put you on fish (and of the type you're looking for, I can guarantee a hookup on something within a few minutes of dropping a line, but easiest way would be dogfish, which are kinda... crap) it's worth doing, and worth the $. Not a lot of guys have that kind of know-how/gift. I learned a lot of what I know from one, and would never claim to be one. In fact, since he passed I don't even know a guy like that, and I know guys that make their living fishing.

RIP Capt'n Bob Hunt of Domino, you're missed every day and we talk about you every weekend.

I am going striper fishing tonight and gonna catch a whale.........