Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232434 ... LastLast

Burlington Bike Night (Every Tuesday from 5:30-8pm)

Re: Burlington Bike Night (Every Tuesday from 5:30-8pm)

Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    a major part of the chain wear is the width of the chain, 520 is small for most sportbikes, used for racing because its lighter so it spins faster. but for street use anything under 525 is gonna just wear faster with no performance benny.
    jason what size chain is on the 750, is that a 530? that would go a long way to wearing performance.

also you gotta take into account the engine config when considering chain strength. an inline4 has 3 times as many power pulses per RPM as a 270 twin, so it evens out more. my bike (an SV with a 270degree twin) stretches chains really funny, and has odd wear on front sprokets really bad, and its probably because for normal riding we'd be using roughly the same torque, but your engine would spread that same impulse out over 3 hits vs mine at 1 hit. so at x-acceleration when y-torque is used on both bikes, the twin wears each section of the chain 3x more.
    then again each power pulse is more spread out, so the chain "rests" more till it gets pulled with another pulse, though the length of resting and active chain is roughly 1:1, so that might not help terribly, however the actual links contacting the sprokets is far less, so that might help a lot.
    unless fewer "harder" pulls is harder on the chain assembly than more "softer" pulls are (would you rather get hit once by tyson or 3 times by de la hoya? and how does your chain feel about this?)

or just go 525 for middleweight, 530 for bigger bore, clean and lube every 5-600 miles, keep an eye on chain tension, and probably last 20-30k.
    Yeah, typo on my part, 530 is what i meant.

And i think it just comes goes down to personal preference when it comes to chains. Though the EK may hold more, i just like DID more lol. I'm just worried about the old saying " You get what you pay for " and the sprockets + chain is something i dont want to cheap out on. I think its like 2nd crutial thing, 1st being your brakes. And even before all that, is gear >< lol (even though im still lacking proper pants...)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~
    Mods: Flush mount turn signals, 2bros c-2 exhaust, Puig Carbon black windscreen, Michelin PR2's, Custom Icy Pearl white paint job w/ my own sharpie design, Ride it shorty clutch and brake levers

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Even my V-Strom 650 has a 525 chain. I wouldn't run a 520 on a sportbike unless that's what's spec'd from the factory, which seems unlikely.

--mark
    well remember that vstrom has that same 270 degree twin as my sv, harder on chains than a 600 supersport, of course they have more torque anyways, which is what kills the chains. actually the strom might be a TOUCH gentler, with a bigger flywheel and cams for more controllable power low and midrange

theres just something about a blue bike

Quote Originally Posted by jopo16 View Post
    Yeah, typo on my part, 530 is what i meant.

And i think it just comes goes down to personal preference when it comes to chains. Though the EK may hold more, i just like DID more lol. I'm just worried about the old saying " You get what you pay for " and the sprockets + chain is something i dont want to cheap out on. I think its like 2nd crutial thing, 1st being your brakes. And even before all that, is gear >< lol (even though im still lacking proper pants...)
    you dont need 530 on a 600, waste of money and weight, 525 is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    jason what size chain is on the 750, is that a 530? that would go a long way to wearing performance.

also you gotta take into account the engine config when considering chain strength. an inline4 has 3 times as many power pulses per RPM as a 270 twin, so it evens out more. my bike (an SV with a 270degree twin) stretches chains really funny, and has odd wear on front sprokets really bad, and its probably because for normal riding we'd be using roughly the same torque, but your engine would spread that same impulse out over 3 hits vs mine at 1 hit. so at x-acceleration when y-torque is used on both bikes, the twin wears each section of the chain 3x more.
    I run 525. My bikes engine is mildly modded so it is about 9 horse higher than stock putting it at 144 RWHP at 90nm of torque. I am, as you know, not gentle on it and I don't hesitate to snap it right into the power band. So yeah, hard saying.

530 is overkill. 525 is probably your better bet. You'll never hit enough power on your bike to need a 530 and the weight differnce (rotating mass) will make a little difference. IMHO 520 is too small but 530 is too big unless you are a liter or up. 520 is plenty all the way up to 600 but 600 to 1000 I would run a 525. You def don't want cheap quality.

The prices I quoted were DID and JT (for sprockets) except where I noted the EK. All are good quality stuff.

Edit: Please take this to a new thread

Last edited by AHAMAYs2; 07-01-11 at 10:15 AM.

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2 View Post

Jesh..... what would you like to talk about between now and tuesday ?

EDIT: Oh, and parker is a meany head, so there!!!

Last edited by yesterdayze; 07-01-11 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2 View Post

You're starting to remind me of... ...someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post

GT2

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Parker, is that avatar pic from that creemee run a week and a half ago? Did she get one of me? I'm sure it sucks but just curious.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

I'm calling BS Jason that your 750 makes 144hp at the wheel. Even lightly modded, no way!

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

For what it's worth, I've been running a 520 EK MVXZ chain on my SV with no problems at all. I think it's starting to wear a bit, as I get a pulsing surge at low speeds that is indicative of a tight spot. I think 520 might be a little small for a 1000cc I4 that makes 150+ hp, but for the SV1000 it has worked just fine. It's really about the tensile strength of the chain, not the size. (Then again, maybe I just tell myself size doesn't matter )

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been running a 520 EK MVXZ chain on my SV with no problems at all. I think it's starting to wear a bit, as I get a pulsing surge at low speeds that is indicative of a tight spot. I think 520 might be a little small for a 1000cc I4 that makes 150+ hp, but for the SV1000 it has worked just fine. It's really about the tensile strength of the chain, not the size. (Then again, maybe I just tell myself size doesn't matter )
    tensile strength of 520 wont be an issue unless you are running a busa. its the wearing surfaces that are larger on the sprockets, so they last longer, which means the chain does as well. the wider surface spreads out the load on each link better, so wears less

Something wrong, officer? Huffer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    Gotcha, yeah, some bikes steel is more, others it is less. It's odd. I run aluminum on mine and I ram the hell out of it with no problems (750) but I also have my sprockets custom milled and then hardened so who knows... I pay around $100 a pop for my rear sprocket.

I found the DID chain, gold, 114links shipped for $120. Front sprocket shipped for $17 and rear sprocket, 47 tooth steel shipped for $45 so $182 which is pretty much what you are saying so go figure.

They also offer a Gold DID chain that is the low profile one but still a 520, has a tensile strength of 8440lbs (more than the standard profile VM surprisingly) and comes with the rivet clip. That would knock another $25 off bringing you to $157.

Is there a strong inclination towards DID vs EK or something? EK has a gold 520, X-Ring, standard profile also that has a tensile strength of 8500 (more than either of the DID chains) and is only $90 shipped. That would bring the total down to $152.

I have run both and had no out of the ordinary stretching on either. I think the EK may weigh 4-5ounces more....

NOT trying to tell you what to do, just throwing this out in case you are trying to save some cash money. Hope it isn't more annoying than helpful
    Jason, your last sentence said "hope this isn't annoying". Speaking personally I'd say , no frick'in way. Isn't this exactly what these forum's are about? There's a lot of knowledge among the folks on here. Keep it coming. Saving cash is always a good thing...it means I can afford more mods on my bike. I must have asked 15 people about a slip-on for my bike. Cost / fit / sound etc (poor Adam) before I decided, saved me $67.00 bucks. Nuff said.

Saved you $67? Does this mean you bought one for your bike?

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    Saved you $67? Does this mean you bought one for your bike?
    Dan over at Roadside hooked me up. Free installation with any pipe you buy from them. Turns out they were cheaper than anyone else I found on the internet. Dan sells Leo Vince now. The price he quoted me was 17.00 bucks cheaper than I could find, plus no shipping, free install AND he says they have specials weekly so he's going to call me with the final price which he expects to be less....unbelievable. First the slip-on then power commander, better air filter, braided break lines, dyno...,...track day? I'm running out of reason's not to.

LeoVince SBK Factory Slip-On Exhaust Features:

Lightweight performance boost made of CP1 Titanium
    All titanium properly welded in an oxygen free environment for maximum strength
    Available with titanium or real carbon fiber canister sleeve
    Significant weight savings over stock
    Slip-Ons boost horsepower an average of 5% across RPM range (ya...right)
    Mid-pipes made of TIG welded 304 stainless steel
    Real carbon fiber canister straps and end cap
    Aluminum and 304 stainless steel mounting hardware kit included
    Produces deeper tuned tone at a reasonable sound level
    EVOII silencer insert removable for more aggressive tone
    CAD / CAM designed for precise fit
    Motorcycle specific tuned to work with stock fuel settings

Last edited by Huffer; 07-01-11 at 09:03 PM.

Well i fixed my problem, and i wont be having a hang out date. Turns out she bailed because i was too cool for her lol jk. But yeah, im planning on going to watch transformers 3 after in williston. Anyone wanna tag along can come too!

P.s. You guys get to see my new pipe and flush mounts! :3 and Adam, theres no need for the passenger helmet anymore, but thanks buddy.

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~
    Mods: Flush mount turn signals, 2bros c-2 exhaust, Puig Carbon black windscreen, Michelin PR2's, Custom Icy Pearl white paint job w/ my own sharpie design, Ride it shorty clutch and brake levers

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    lol, can mine say 'Elvis' ? +1 on casual, laid back, informal etc
    Sure... absolutely... the BTVBN Ambassadors (Parker, Adam, Justin, et al) should PM me, with any details. I will do my best to fashion up some "greeter name badges" for the next BTVBN. (let's start with a dozen or less)

I had a really tough week...but my head is clearing finally.

I hope everyone having a safe & sunny weekend.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 07-02-11 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
    Jason, your last sentence said "hope this isn't annoying". Speaking personally I'd say , no frick'in way. Isn't this exactly what these forum's are about? There's a lot of knowledge among the folks on here. Keep it coming. Saving cash is always a good thing...it means I can afford more mods on my bike. I must have asked 15 people about a slip-on for my bike. Cost / fit / sound etc (poor Adam) before I decided, saved me $67.00 bucks. Nuff said.

Well said Sir. ...and being a closet geek of all things technical and technological ... I say bring on the BikeTech Geek Fest!! It was this forum that saved me some money & stress on my tire changing and will continue to do so on into the future.

Heading up to my usual Milton gig, probably take the *long* shortcut since the weather is soooo nice...and probably take a *long* way back.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 07-02-11 at 08:23 AM.

I'm just glad I never have to listen to Huffer be like "I wanna damn pipe for my bike" or "Youtube sucks and I can't find a pipe for my bike.....cause I want one" or "Hey, do you think I should get a pipe? Cause I want one" or "you know, if I had a pipe for my bike it would be better than Parkers.....I should get one" or "blah blah blah pipe blah blah blah WANT"

you Huffer

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post

Ohhhhhhh....snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    I'm just glad I never have to listen to Huffer be like "I wanna damn pipe for my bike" or "Youtube sucks and I can't find a pipe for my bike.....cause I want one" or "Hey, do you think I should get a pipe? Cause I want one" or "you know, if I had a pipe for my bike it would be better than Parkers.....I should get one" or "blah blah blah pipe blah blah blah WANT"

you Huffer
    At one point Adam said "I'll buy you a pipe so I don't have to listen about it anymore" Having said that, next week I'm going to start telling him how much "I want a hundred dollar bill"...you can't hide Adam...you can't hide.

FYI, my bike is better than Parkers...it's red. YEAH BABY!.

Last edited by Huffer; 07-02-11 at 12:27 PM.

FYI, my bike is better than Parkers...it's red. YEAH BABY!.
    PSH! You gotta get with the Yammie blue man We all know blue is the fastest color. Isnt that right johnc?

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~

PSH! You gotta get with the Yammie blue man We all know blue is the fastest color. Isnt that right johnc?
    You got it JoPo my man... Blue rocks! ...and my daughters think the blue is pretty too.

Ummm....,....no.

Ummm....,....no.
    Yeah.....but hey, at least you don't have a RED bike!

Last edited by AHAMAYs2; 07-03-11 at 03:00 PM.

GT2

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!